Windows 10 users will be able to delete collected diagnostic data

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-users-will-able-delete-collected-diagnostic-data-83700/

The latest Windows 10 Insider Build introduces a feature that allows users to delete diagnostic data that Microsoft collected about the system. Earlier we reported that the operating system would get an option that allows users to view data collected about their computer.

Sounds like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. You can view data that has been sent, you can delete data that has been sent, but you can’t stop the data being sent in the first place without using third party methods??

At least they admit it.
Microsoft would not harm anybody (except an employee spying on somebody they know personally), but I would not feel comfortable knowing the idea that I am being spied on.
And it is likely that it does not actually remotely erase anything.

If you think that is bad take a look at your Smart Phone or Smart Device they are worse. You don’t know but your giving them your GPS and calls and txt and you think Windows is worse??

No.
I just wonder why Microsoft suffered from all privacy scandal.
Because Google controls 90% of surface web traffic and they can hide all bad news about themselves while blackmailing all competitors. Alphabet Inc. is able to kill whoever they want to.

All companies are doing this already Microsoft isn’t at alone in this. One needs to look at the bigger picture. Even your email is a tracking system it can tell where your logged in from and how long. Probably if Google is doing that then it will come out nothing in this digital age can be covered up for long. Some one will sniff it out.

Personally I’m strict with my mobile permissions, settings and the apps I use. Depends on the user. Otherwise it’s a fairly fatalistic outlook by believing everyone is successfully tracking all such interactions and users just go along with it.

So on the one hand I think it is worthwhile reminding how much other info users may be willingly or perhaps unwittingly providing to companies but at the same there are those who do care and may actively want to control what they can, which I think is perfectly reasonable as well.

My thoughts exactly. Deleting this data from your own computer doesn’t do anything for privacy, except give you a false sense of security (and perhaps save a tiny bit of disk space). I don’t care about clearing out the diagnostic logs from my GNU/Linux machine, but I do care about MicroShaft being able to suck information from me whenever they feel like. God only knows what information they are getting.