Windows 10 update resets default apps to Microsoft’s own apps

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 10 update resets default apps to Microsoft’s own apps[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/11/windows-10.-phone-laptop-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

After an update Windows 10 is ‘restoring’ the default application to its own pre-installed apps. This means that e.g. when previously using the popular Irfanview as the default app to open photos, Microsoft ‘restores’ its own Photos app as being the default.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-update-resets-default-apps-to-microsofts-own-apps-78610/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-update-resets-default-apps-to-microsofts-own-apps-78610/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“It’s likely that in this case resetting the default apps is by accident.”, the phrase accidentally on purpose springs to mind.

Sadly with their actions in recent times I wouldn’t put anything past Microsoft these days.

i would really like to know how Microsoft is managing to get away with all the underhanded things it is doing as far as windows 10 and customers are concerned. has it made a lot of ‘campaign contributions’ or what? it’s even got away with forcing IE11 and Bing to be used in the EU, where it was stopped under the lack of competition with windows 7. there has had to have been a hell of a lot of something done to be able to overwrite software usage that customers prefer and replace that software with Microsoft’s own!! it’s disgraceful!!

i would really like to know how Microsoft is managing to get away with all the underhanded things it is doing as far as windows 10 and customers are concerned. has it made a lot of ‘campaign contributions’ or what? it’s even got away with forcing IE11 and Bing to be used in the EU, where it was stopped under the lack of competition with windows 7. there has had to have been a hell of a lot of something done to be able to overwrite software usage that customers prefer and replace that software with Microsoft’s own!! it’s disgraceful!!

I agree. First of all, they can not use the word [S]accidentally[/S] anymore as they have overused it already since the release of Windows… [S]Accidentally[/S] more often than not if you include the times they reset your privacy settings. :frowning:
Secondly forcing the use of their own applications by [S]accidentally[/S] overwriting paying customers’ personal preference is indeed disgraceful :Z

I am in the process of moving my list of harvesting IPs to a vanilla Windows 10 Pro computer to continue my harvesting there. It needs to be done as I have way too many other precautions on this computer and it is not communicating shit to Microsoft at the moment. Still, a vanilla computer may and I am considering if I should install Office 2016 first to get those addresses as well… Once finished, the entire list will [S]accidentally[/S] be presented in my Windows 10 privacy thread. :iagree:

Microsoft are having so many Windows 10 “accidents” they are either intentionally being devious behind everyone’s back or are totally incompetent, or both.

Indeed that happened with me.

I was looking at a PDF at the time and Windows 10 displayed a message that the PC need to be rebooted to complete Windows update. So I let it restart, however, when I tried going back into the PDF, it opened up in Microsoft Edge. :confused:

It was similar for other files, e.g. video files opening in the “Films & TV” app instead of VLC, etc.

Just to update on this, I also noticed that Windows 10 has a tendency to change the default printer, especially if it’s a network/Wi-Fi printer.

For example, my manger has multiple printers set up on his computer - a USB connected inkjet, a networked multifunctional inkjet and a networked laser printer. After upgrading to Windows 10, he ran into problem - His printouts started coming out of his address label printer!

It beats me why Windows decided it would be a good idea to print everything in miniature form on address labels. To save on paper!? :smiley:

My own computer changed its default to his networked multifunctional.

Another colleague had his default printer set to the XPS document writer, which exports print-outs to XPS files.

As for file extensions, I’ve lost count the number of times I set VLC as my default player for MP4 video files. From a quick check as I write this post, my PC has already changed the default back to the Windows ‘Films & TV’ app yet again.

[QUOTE=Seán;2773252]Just to update on this, I also noticed that Windows 10 has a tendency to change the default printer, especially if it’s a network/Wi-Fi printer. [/QUOTE] There’s a setting called “Let Windows manage my default printer” which can be turned off. Perhaps that will help.

Thanks for that tip, I wasn’t aware there was such a setting.

I must change that on my manager’s PC as he’s regularly printing labels and Windows keeps setting the label printer as the default.

I’m not sure why someone thought it was a bright idea of making that a feature that is enabled by default. Probably the same team that thought it was a brilliant idea to reset the app defaults to Microsoft’s apps. :doh: