Windows 10 Ultimate Performance - power plan

For those of us who demand the ultimate performance from our PC.
Here is a small hack that allows a power plan normally only available in the Workstation version of Windows 10.

Open the command prompt with admin privileges then copy and paste the code below.

powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

This will add a key to the system registry to add the ‘Ultimate Performance’ power plan.
Since it will alter the system registry. You use this at your own risk.

To use it.
Go to settings/system/power & sleep. Now select show additional power settings. Then select the ‘Ultimate Performance’ option.

It works by disabling any of the remaining power saving settings left over from the ‘High Performance’ power plan.

I have only tested this on Windows 10 Pro, but I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work on Windows 10 Home.

2 Likes

Worked here, thanks Wendy

amd one is working really well for me as it is so ill test on a lab machine at work or something :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Thanks Dee, that has a noticeable effect on my slower Ryzen 1700X rig.

Hi all
Thanks for the feedback, and its nice to see at least one person has reported a noticeable gain in performance.
You should see improvements as the power plan reduces kernel latencies.
The downside is your PC will consume more power when using this power plan, and more than likely will increase the heat produced from the CPU, memory, GPU, and PCIe controller.

I only use the ‘Ultimate Performance’ power plan when i’m doing something demanding with the PC. Although I tend to also use it when copying large amounts of files from one drive to another, as that also receives a boost over the ‘Balanced’ power plan. Keep in mind though, that my PC only has SSD’s, so don’t expect to see a performance gain when copying files if your copying to or from an HDD.

good one, works, cheers

Has anyone here managed to apply this hack to Windows 10 Home? Or, are all you guys using Windows 10 Pro?

Once I have my laptop running I will try it, since its the only PC that has win10 home. But I want be keeping it active for a long time :wink:

Windows 10 pro Dee. As for running it all the time, the CPU temp has gone up to a max of 40C from 38C and all the other temps are lower than this. An Asus Prime 370 Pro mobo with a case that has 3 180mm fans and a water cooled processor I don’t think this will be a problem. It runs very stable what ever I use it for, including video editing. (The cpu is not overclocked)

For an 8 core processor, the RyZen 7 CPU’s are very efficient and quite easy to keep cool.
Mines is a 1700 clocked at 3.8GHz, cooled by an BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 which is a single 135mm fan air cooler.
That’s housed in an Fractal Design Define S case which is designed for silent running, which has 3 BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 135mm fans. (two intake and one exhaust). Its my DAW machine so has to run quietly, and temps are also well within the acceptable range.