Windows 10 to power automated cars, street lights and refrigerators

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 10 to power automated cars, street lights and refrigerators[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/05/myce-microsoft-Logo-2-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Windows 10 will soon no longer only power PCs but also automated cars, street lights and refrigerators. Microsoft stated this during the Hannover Messe, the largest industrial technology trade fair in the world. Windows 10 is “The Platform for the Intelligence Revolution”, according to the company.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-to-power-automated-cars-street-lights-and-refrigerators-79225/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-to-power-automated-cars-street-lights-and-refrigerators-79225/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

First thought that came to mind is this “If Microsoft Made Cars” joke: :wink:
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/pnw/microsoftjoke.htm

I also wonder how these automated cars would cope with a blocked road along its route. As far as I’m aware of, Microsoft uses Here maps for its navigation and I do know that like Google Maps, it lacks the ability to avoid a road (that isn’t marked closed in its online database) and in turn will keep insisting on navigating the user back to it!Â

So assuming their cars use the same navigation software as their Maps app, I can just imagine seeing multiple Microsoft and Google cars endlessly waiting at a ‘road closed’ sign where the road has just been closed due to some incident. Â

BSOD will have a whole new and disturbing meaning.
Envision a busy freeway at rush hour, Microsoft decides to issue a "system update"
which as usuall hasn’t been tested. Hundreds of car systems crash both figuratively and
litteraly as the now brainless cars (and the owners stupid enough to buy a self driving car)
decide to play demolision derby.

Indeed, I can just try imaging what it would be like with the car driving itself and this suddenly popped up on the dash… :eek:

customers also require [B]absolute confidence in the management, servicing and update models provided by Windows;[/B] and demand the enterprise security built into Windows 10 – the most secure operating system we’ve ever built

Can i laugh now? or maybe I should wait for more jokes from M$?
It looks like that mistakenly I was under the wrong impression that Linux was the OS that would be used in my refrigerator, apparently I was wrong.
Now I can have M$ asking me in EULA of my refrigerator or car if I would like to share what food I am eating, or where I go frequently so that they can improve my overall experience.
I will stop now, but I will have to say that I am not ready for what microsoft wants to do and the direction that they are hoping to go.

And because of the Universal Platform, Windows 10 can also be used for smart street lights, smart refrigerators, fleet management and much more.

That would work… until it universally decides your car is a refrigerator… at 60mph. :bigsmile:

Now the hackers will steal your car remotely while your at work (ransom ware), and also shut off your fridge at the same time so that after you walk home you’ll find a fridge full of spoiled food…

Is it April Fool all over again!!!

Skynet recommends Windows 10

Ford was using Windows with their Sync platform but switched to Android. Auto manufacturers are just testing a bunch of different platforms to see what each has to offer. They may have Win10 in one vehicle line and Android in another.

[QUOTE=Seán;2773144]Indeed, I can just try imaging what it would be like with the car driving itself and this suddenly popped up on the dash… :eek:

[/QUOTE]
Gives new meaning to the term ‘[B]Blue Screen of Death[/B]’! :eek::eek:

On the up side, driverless cars could solve the organ donor crisis. And when Apple get to market, socioeconomic equality. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, 400 meters to the cliffs edge straight ahead and “we’re [B]just[/B]” collecting some error info" - oh, nothing to worry about then :disagree: :eek:

Another thing, will cars and everything else with the windows OS have the “[B]Get to know me[/B]” button?

On the bright side there is some potential in something like that to work for the so called greater good.
For example, if you are diabetic, and you can just scan a bar code so that
you will know that you are about to eat had sugar, so that you can avoid it
or eat it at your own risk :bigsmile: (like i do most of the time)

But I am sure that this isn’t the way that Microsoft, Apple or Google view it’s usage.

And security is clearly important for the company, as it states, “customers also require absolute confidence in the management, servicing and update models provided by Windows; and demand the enterprise security built into Windows 10 – the most secure operating system we’ve ever built.”
Forgive my skepticism, but I’m pretty sure that statement doesn’t amount to much. Given the history of Windows, I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say that Windows has never been secure, and probably never will be.

If you think malfunctioning cars is bad, wait until you see what happens when traffic lights get a BSOD. When that happens, the death rate due to self-driving cars will seem insignificant in comparison. Even people driving their cars manually will think it’s safe to drive on a green light. Now thats what I call “a whole new and disturbing meaning” to Blue Screen of Death. Any government will be all too desperate to pay ransomware developers whatever ridiculous fees they demand, since not doing so will cause more people to die. If it worked on Batman, it can work on anyone.

PS: Has anyone ever seen I, Robot? If so, you’ll probably remember when Will Smith’s character was attacked by several trucks full of rogue robots. Or, as one robot put it, “You are experiencing a car accident.” That future might not be too far away.