Windows 10 Privacy and security control general

vbimport

Hi Xercus,
Thanks for all your suggestions, I have tried [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] nothing happens.
Yep, the num lock light just proves power is getting to the keyboard.
I’ve been in to the BIOS and altered/turned off your suggestions, still no go.
This wasn’t an upgrade as said, it was a clean install, the upgrade was very buggy probably due to with installed software) Acronis wasn’t installed at the first update and is not on the laptop.
I have another identical motherboard, so I’m going to swap them over. not a super long job. that will rule out the main bit of hardware.
I have a feeling the USB has a problem.
I will reinstall 10 on the rebuilt rig with your very helpful suggestions and see what happens.
The test rig is not such a biggie, but getting the lappie working is more important as it has a buyer providing 10 is installed on it. I will swap the hard drive for another and do a clean install without Toshiba’s software and again, see what happens.
Thanks again Xercus, your help is very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Right, here we go! Mobo replaced, a clean reinstall of 10 and it now works.
Whether it was a faulty board, or something screwed with the UEFI BIOS I don’t really know. I had a feeling that board wasn’t quite right.

So far so good, I’ve been loading programmes/apps slowly with plenty of restore points and complete Acronis clones just in case it gets screwed again.
Whatever, 10 is hard looking, no nice soft Aero. :frowning:
I find it no faster than 7, but the Samsung rapid mode doesn’t recognise the O/S. I gather this is a common problem and it seems that rather a lot of people are waiting for an update higher than Magician 4.7

I’m going start on the lappie as soon as I can. I’m already in trouble with my wife for not completing the airing cupboard re-model. :eek:

Xercus, I’m beginning to think stripping out loads of software from a previous O/S is a waste of time, you may as well not bother and reload the stuff after a clean install, less unknown conflicts.
BTW, the O&O 10 shut up works fine.
I just hope it stops the important stuff from reaching Microsoft.
Who knows what over rides MS will put in next.
Thanks again Xercus, your suggestions gave me loads to think about and work out what the hell was going on. :slight_smile:

I will be sticking with this 7 rig for as long as possible and using the test rig to play with 10 and see if it gets any better/more usable/user friendly?

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2761155]Xercus, I’m beginning to think stripping out loads of software from a previous O/S is a waste of time, you may as well not bother and reload the stuff after a clean install, less unknown conflicts.
BTW, the O&O 10 shut up works fine.
I just hope it stops the important stuff from reaching Microsoft.
Who knows what over rides MS will put in next.
Thanks again Xercus, your suggestions gave me loads to think about and work out what the hell was going on. :slight_smile:

I will be sticking with this 7 rig for as long as possible and using the test rig to play with 10 and see if it gets any better/more usable/user friendly?[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome, thank the forum. What must be understood, is that O&O ShutUp is a pinpointed fix this fix that and so must be treated as such. By that I mean there will always be room for improvements as Microsoft pulls another trick… :confused:

Well then. :wink:
For the odd communication mentioned by Cholla, I can not find any proof of anything but a heartbeat of sorts and for whatever it is worth, nothing serious seems to be going on Privacy wise (just knowing how many machines are up and running Windows 10 does not breach anyone’s privacy). In other words, It will continue to be monitored and I will get back to it if it reveals anything else. :iagree:

Also mentioned by Cholla is which setting from the O&O ShutUp will have effect on Windows 7. Being that the telemetry shit is backported to Windows 7, this is a relevant question, one I will look at in this post. For a start, I will be looking at this from a perspective of the differences I found by comparing the registry differencies found in Windows 10. To make this as simple as possible, I will check to see which settings is present in the current state of Windows

One information missing from my last post is the image used to install Windows 7, but for the record, it was the “en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso” as downloaded from MSDN. This is the standard “Retail” which is evident because it already have the option to upgrade to Windows 8 present in the system tray.

Going into the registry file which is, as stated before, too big to be referenced in full, What strikes me is that there is no entries directly present in the Windows 7 registry. What I can find are some not present in windows 10 and so in other words, there will not be much to gain from the O&O ShutUp10 registry file directly. It may actually be far more to gain from it if compared to Windows 8.1 as Windows 10 seem to share more with that operating system than with Windows 7.
What took time was I actually did not believe the results at first, but they are indeed correct.
Afaic, if you have Windows 8.1, there really is nothing to be gained from not upgrading to Windows 10 as you already affected by the new regime to your neck.

Here is one of the entries present in Windows 7 but as is evident, I can not make much out of it at present time.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\TelemetryClient\ThrottleStore\sqm\ie\ie\12]
“ThrottleExpiryTime”=hex(b):5d,d2,17,9f,de,10,d1,01

The firewall rules, if inspected, do hold a clue as to the huge difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8/10. The biggest is of course that Windows Store does not exist in Windows 7. Because of this huge difference, Windows 7 must be excluded from the thread as it must be grouped with Windows Vista. :sad:
In this respect, may I propose the following groups of Windows.

[ol]
[li]Windows 9x[/li][li]Windows 2k, XP[/li][li]Windows Vista/7[/li][li]Windows 8/10[/li][/ol]
Notice that Windows 3.1 and NT are not part of the list as they share too little with the rest. There are huge differencies between NT and 2k even though they may appear similar. This is mostly because of the decentralized administration of NT when compared to the centralized administration of 2k.
ME is also left out, but this may be down to my lack of experience with the OS more than lack of similarities with the 9x series. Back When ME was released, I said I did not recommend using and would not support the OS.

A little something for the thread to not make this post totally unnecessary :rolleyes:. I noticed that the Windows Firewall Control program is interfering with traffic out of the box if you set it to “apply recommended settings”. These are all of great interest with regards to your privacy and I recommend you set them in your firewall.
The settings set are globally blocking any program using any port addressed to the following IP ranges (Usually, I work with a subnet/supernet masks and so I added the correct netword id and mask both alternatives {[I]or[/I] Network ID/Mask bits [I]or[/I] Network ID/Net Mask(Inverse Mask)} at the end. I did this because of the many different ways there are to configure a hardware firewall, one of the ways described below should fit your firewall no matter make or model and where you configure it (look it up in the manual if in doubt)):

[B]Verisign Global Registry Services[/B]: 199.7.48.1-199.7.63.255 {[I]or[/I] 199.7.48.0/20 [I]or[/I] 199.7.48.0/255.255.240.0(0.0.15.255)}
[B]Verisign Global Registry Services[/B]: 199.16.80.1-199.16.95.255 [I]or[/I] 199.16.80.0/20 [I]or[/I] 199.16.80.0/255.255.240.0(0.0.15.255)}
[B]Microsoft Limited[/B]: 94.245.64.1-94.245.127.255 {[I]or[/I] 94.245.64.0/18 or[/I] 94.245.64.0/255.255.192.0(0.0.63.255)}
[B]Microsoft internet data center[/B]: 213.199.160.1-213.199.191.255 {[I]or[/I] 213.199.160.0/19 [I]or[/I] 213.199.160.0/255.255.224.0(0.0.31.255)}
[B]Akamai Technologies[/B]: 92.123.96.1-92.123.111.255 {[I]or[/I] 92.123.96.0/20 [I]or[/I] 92.123.96.0/255.255.240.0(0.0.15.255)}
[B]Akamai Technologies[/B]: 95.100.0.1-95.100.15.255 {[I]or[/I] 95.100.0.0/20 [I]or[/I] 95.123.96.0/255.255.240.0(0.0.15.255)}
[B]Akamai Technologies[/B]: 23.32.0.1-23.67.255.255 {[I]beats ordinary classification - i.o.w. just a range[/I]}
[B]Akamai Technologies[/B]: 92.122.212.1-92.122.219.255 {[I]beats ordinary classification - i.o.w. just a range[/I]}

It is possible to classify the two which beats ordinary classification as well, but we must use more netIDs with different masks, but to not make it too cluttered, I left it at the above.
Being that these are global, it may be a good idea to move them to your hardware firewall to keep config as simple as possible.

If you have questions related to the above, please do not hesitate in asking, all knowledge starts with formulating a question :flower:

O.k. With Windows 7 ruled out of the thread, it will be easier to commence with new and updated information securitywise as I find them, hopefully in the near future. If anyone beats me to new settings, I will be only too happy if you add your findings here. No need to reinvent the wheel unless needed :clap:

[I]“What must be understood, is that O&O ShutUp is a pinpointed fix this fix that and so must be treated as such. By that I mean there will always be room for improvements as Microsoft pulls another trick.”[/I]

Thanks for pointing that out Xercus, but that was already understood. What I meant by saying it works OK is it didn’t cause a corruption. I was wondering if it could be causing a conflict somewhere. It doesn’t. I check it every now and again and I suggest anyone else using it does the same, because some of the parameters seem to get reset to default off all by themselves? After a few reboots all the settings seem to stick. Weird!

That is a behavior I have noticed myself, and indeed it is strange. That they seem to stick after a few reboots is according to my findings only partly true as you may suddenly find one setting reset after a week or more.
Being so, the settings must be monitored at all times. Furthermore, new versions must be downloaded when available because they seem to include additional settings more often than not. I have tried to figure out what is causing the reset, but can not find hold for any specific action or process causing it apart from noting it does not seem to be related to Windows Update in any way.
I am continuing to check into this as it is of importance to all that the privacy settings we set actually sticks… Should you bump into any clues thereof, please update the thread, I am somewhat at loss for a starting point and fumble more or less blindfolded at the moment. :flower:

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2761385][I]“What must be understood, is that O&O ShutUp is a pinpointed fix this fix that and so must be treated as such. By that I mean there will always be room for improvements as Microsoft pulls another trick.”[/I][/QUOTE]

Thanks to an American friend for pointing out my Norwegian language working brain and how it looks in the English language. I should, according to Mario, have written ‘What we should take into account’ - My sincere apology if I caused any offence by writing it that way, it was not meant as such. - It makes perfect sense in Norwegian :rolleyes:

No apology necessary, no offence to me. There is an O&O ShutUp update available at their website. Version 1.1.1346

Good :slight_smile:
In this version when clicking apply all recommended and limited recommended settings, all setting apart from ‘Application Telemetry 3 of 3’, did stick on first attempt. ‘Application Telemetry 3 of 3’ did too after applying it one more time after a reset. Status is the same two resets later - looks great.

In a while, since Office 2016 is out, I will apply that as well to the test system. For now though, I have more than a few tests left before I can safely do so. It will probably be of interest though as I can imagine it will be just as eager to phone home as Windows.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2761442]No apology necessary, no offence to me. There is an O&O ShutUp update available at their website. Version 1.1.1346[/QUOTE]

Update to V O&O ShutUp10 1.1.1347.1  now at their site.;)

Wow, that was quick. Thanks Alan.

Version 1.1.1347.1 seems to hold on to it’s settings OK, the problem of the settings changing back, may have been a bug in the app. I will keep checking all the same anyway.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2761382]
[B]Verisign Global Registry Services[/B]: 199.7.48.1-199.7.63.255 {[I]or[/I] 199.7.48.0/20 [I]or[/I] 199.7.48.0/255.255.240.0(0.0.15.255)}
[B]Verisign Global Registry Services[/B]: 199.16.80.1-199.16.95.255 [I]or[/I] 199.16.80.0/20 [I]or[/I] 199.16.80.0/255.255.240.0(0.0.15.255)}
[B]Microsoft Limited[/B]: 94.245.64.1-94.245.127.255 {[I]or[/I] 94.245.64.0/18 or[/I] 94.245.64.0/255.255.192.0(0.0.63.255)}
[B]Microsoft internet data center[/B]: 213.199.160.1-213.199.191.255 {[I]or[/I] 213.199.160.0/19 [I]or[/I] 213.199.160.0/255.255.224.0(0.0.31.255)}
[B]Akamai Technologies[/B]: 92.123.96.1-92.123.111.255 {[I]or[/I] 92.123.96.0/20 [I]or[/I] 92.123.96.0/255.255.240.0(0.0.15.255)}
[B]Akamai Technologies[/B]: 95.100.0.1-95.100.15.255 {[I]or[/I] 95.100.0.0/20 [I]or[/I] 95.123.96.0/255.255.240.0(0.0.15.255)}
[B]Akamai Technologies[/B]: 23.32.0.1-23.67.255.255 {[I]beats ordinary classification - i.o.w. just a range[/I]}
[B]Akamai Technologies[/B]: 92.122.212.1-92.122.219.255 {[I]beats ordinary classification - i.o.w. just a range[/I]}
[/QUOTE]

I have had the above settings aplied at my gateway blocking outbound traffic destined to the addresses the last two weeks, and I have discovered no cons from blocking them globally.

Another note for those not frequenting the site, O&O Shutup has been updated to 1.1.1348 - Just thought I should mention it.
:flower:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2761491][B]The speed in which a woman says “nothing” when asked “What’s wrong?” is inversely proportional to the severity of the shit storm that’s coming[/B][/QUOTE]

:bigsmile:
What also puzzles me is how a closet can be full of nothing to wear :confused: :bigsmile:

Thanks Xercus, I must keep a better eye on O&O’s website.

You and Alan are quite right, both these things are true in my house! :eek:

A novel way to commit suicide is to cover yourself in perfume and lipstick, then slap the wife on the rump and say " OK fatty, your turn now" Death may not be swift. :wink:

O&O version 1.2.1350 is now available. It has a few more items you can switch off if that’s your want. It’s now stable, whatever you turn off, stays there. no need to do a few reboots to make the settings stick.
http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Thanks for the tip. I am in the process of checking out other settings… More on that later :slight_smile:

Doesnt anyone look in our software forum, I posted that update a day or so ago, our software forum is one of the best places to look for updates and new programs. Look at the amount of views it gets, its a non posting forum but anyone who needs a hand can make their own thread.:flower:

Alan, Your efforts are very much appreciated, but I looked for around five or six minutes to find the best place to post the update. Obviously if I had found the software forum and realised that was the best place I would have put it there if it wasn’t already.
You yourself have posted an O&O update here, so, along with that and the name of this thread is [I]“Software > Windows 8 and Windows 10”[/I], I though this would be the correct place for it. It also does need a thread we can comment in to pass extra information to each other. Sorry Alan, I didn’t mean to p*** you off. Apart from anything else, it’s better to have the info twice in different places rather than not at all, not that you would ever miss anything.:slight_smile:

Here ya go!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2763088]Here ya go!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/[/QUOTE]

Again, A-Z, true as written… Meaning we have to be smarter… Why would services.exe need access to internet, It will in reality mean a channel for all… Explorer.exe outside your own network, - Are you crazy?.. Internet Explorer, unless you use it?
Seek and we will find out. Fail to seek and we will sink. Simple logic really. :flower: