Windows 10 popular amongst gamers, more users expected to upgrade after DirectX 12 update

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 10 popular amongst gamers, more users expected to upgrade after DirectX 12 update[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/11/myce-windows-10-steam-october-2015-95x75.gif[/newsimage]

Windows 10 rapidly gains market share amongst gamers. Of all PC gamers that use the popular digital game store Steam more than 27% is on Microsoft’s latest operating system.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-popular-amongst-gamers-more-users-expected-to-upgrade-after-directx-12-update-77729/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-popular-amongst-gamers-more-users-expected-to-upgrade-after-directx-12-update-77729/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Not too surprised as gamers are also among the first to use new motherboard hardware as well as 3D card technologies.
…as a side-note; What contradicts and surprises me was drilling down a little further and noticing 47.83% 4CPUs and a whopping 44.87% for 2CPUs while 6CPUs is only 1.63% - I expected the last number to be higher.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2762955]Not too surprised as gamers are also among the first to use new motherboard hardware as well as 3D card technologies.
…as a side-note; What contradicts and surprises me was drilling down a little further and noticing 47.83% 4CPUs and a whopping 44.87% for 2CPUs while 6CPUs is only 1.63% - I expected the last number to be higher.[/QUOTE]
We assume people can afford to buy games on Steam here or have a internet connection to use steam-also this only surveys those on steam and the not rest of the market computer users this would be a more representative of the computing users. And the masses will not see the benefits of DX12 for everyday usage as well. Gamers aren’t the majority of computer users though and not everyone can afford high price GPU and CPU or build a Complete Hardcore system. Most everyday users get along fine with DUO or Quad cores and til their programs are written for Hex-Core users won’t be switching anytime soon to HEx-core as they will not benefit from having a Hex-core. That’s how I see it - this snippet of gamers is not representative of the market in general.

It seems quite obvious to me the higher number of Win 10 users on Steam is for DX12 and nothing else, from all the tests I’ve seen it is not really any faster than 8.1 or even 7 for DX9-11 games. Gamers are usually early adopters of new software/hardware anyway and don’t represent what the general masses are doing at all.

@Xercus, just a guess but I suspect most gamers use Intel i3’s, i5’s or i7’s for gaming, most benchmarks will tell you six or eight cores don’t really make any difference in gaming, as Coolcolors points out.

Generally, the consumer Desktop quad core CPU’s, i5, i7 have a higher clock speed out the box than the 6 and 8 core enthusiast CPU’s. So a higher IPC figure, which seems to be an advantage for games, which generally only use one or two cores.

Thank you all for very good and constructive feedback. As coolcolors points out, Steam is representative for Steam only and the number of casual gamers present is probably way higher than ‘die hard gamers’ with hardcore rigs if I understand his message correctly.
It is also all true that the games still may not be written to utilize a 6 or 8 core CPU and that Quad Core CPUs have higher speed.

'This was in reality only me concluding way too fast that all gaming sites consist of mostly ‘die hard gamers’ which simply is not the case - I am a customer at GOG and should have known :flower: