Windows 10 November Update to increase performance up to 26% for Skylake CPU owners

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 10 November Update to increase performance up to 26% for Skylake CPU owners[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/11/Intel-Speed-Shift-graph-95x75.png[/newsimage]

The upcoming Windows 10 November update will enable a feature of Intel’s Skylake processor that should increase its performance up to 26%. The feature is called Speed Shift and with the upcoming Windows 10 update it will be supported for the first time.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-november-update-to-increase-performance-up-to-26-for-skylake-cpu-owners-77767/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-november-update-to-increase-performance-up-to-26-for-skylake-cpu-owners-77767/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Looks more like a fix for really bad power management implementation.

I like to know if previous windows ( 7, 8.1 ) needs something like this or the performance is ok without any patch.

Go figure if this will be the 1st “windows10” oriented cpu … :a

Psst! Windows 7 is still the best. Pass it on.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2763269]Psst! Windows 7 is still the best. Pass it on.[/QUOTE]
I think the horse is already out of the Barn on this…

IMHO, Windows doesn’t really need CPU enhancements for most tasks. After all, the biggest bottleneck for performance (for me, at least) is RAM. That’s RAM as in the thing that Windows uses waaaay too much of, especially during Windows Updates. On my work machine, mealy checking to see if any updates exist takes about one hour. That’s not the time it takes to download or install updates: that’s the time it takes to figure out which updates are available. The whole machine is almost unusable due to the heavy thrashing that takes place.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2763289]IMHO, Windows doesn’t really need CPU enhancements for most tasks.[/QUOTE] Many people are prepared to pay hundreds of $$$ for a faster CPU or faster RAM, so why on Earth should they give up 26% performance because the operating system isn’t optimized?!

5 years from now people still be complaining why their software dont work on XP Pro. LOL:doh:

Has anyone else noticed that every time Intel (or AMD) produce a faster, more powerful Processor, Microsoft releases a new operating system that slows the sucker down.

Windows 7 shall remain on my devices (except my Servers) until at least 2020. By then I should be au fait with Linux. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2763292]Many people are prepared to pay hundreds of $$$ for a faster CPU or faster RAM, so why on Earth should they give up 26% performance because the operating system isn’t optimized?![/QUOTE]

Maybe people looks at an “old” computer running win7 and think that it’s faster than the “new” running win10.

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2763323]Maybe people looks at an “old” computer running win7 and think that it’s faster than the “new” running win10.[/QUOTE]
Actually it is probably faster…if you use the same system for both it most likely can hold it’s own. I see this old debate of this Windows is faster then this other Windows. It’s the same adage being used that has no real world concept behind it-when one just Browse, email, skype, facebook, twitter those usage will never push Windows hard for the John/Jane Doe to notice it. But they will notice when it makes them work to just launch your apps and get frustrated over why can’t I just open a simple Office Word and type/save/send.

New CPU architectures require new OS kernels to take advantage of the new features.
That is probably why Win7 isn’t officially supported on the Skylake platform.

I have the 1511 Win10 update installed. There are some nice features and polish to the GUI.
It’s hard to tell if its faster, as I currently have an Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD running the OS. Before the 1511 update the OS was running from an 850 Pro SATA SSD.

It is noticeably faster, but that could just be down to the NVMe SSDs higher performance and much lower latency when compared to SATA.

Hi :slight_smile:
I have no idea about the percentage.
But certainly feels faster, more fluid.
Some nice touches too.

Yep, finally fixing the start-menu flaw as well, but raising it from max 512 entries to 2048 before it breaks again is odd. A start-menu with limitations`in 2015/2016?

Not too many noticing it of course, but with 1208 entries, I’ve had that bug ever since upgrading.
To figure out how many you have, start Powershell and type [B]Get-StartApps | measure[/B] and you get your answer. :rolleyes:

@Dee

Was that Samsung 950 given to you free as part of the review or did you it yourself?

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2763914]@Dee

Was that Samsung 950 given to you free as part of the review or did you it yourself?[/QUOTE]It was a review sample, now returned to Samsung.