Windows 10 more popular than Windows 7 and 8 in first month, Edge disappoints

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 10 more popular than Windows 7 and 8 in first month, Edge disappoints[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/09/browser-usage-by-windows-10-users-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Windows 10 usage in the first month exceeds that of Windows 7 and Windows 8 in the same time period according to market research company StatCounter.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-more-popular-than-windows-7-and-8-in-first-month-edge-disappoints-77169/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-more-popular-than-windows-7-and-8-in-first-month-edge-disappoints-77169/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I would say there’s no “could” about it, in my opinion almost all current Windows 10 users got it through the free upgrade. I know maybe a dozen people who’ve tried Windows 10, every single one of them was an upgrade and none wouldn’t have paid for it, including me.

It’s a bit odd people keeping comparing adoption rates of an os which is a free upgrade against others you had to pay good money for. Free will win every time, no matter how good or bad it is.

[QUOTE=roho;2759378]It’s a bit odd people keeping comparing adoption rates of an os which is a free upgrade against others you had to pay good money for. Free will win every time, no matter how good or bad it is.[/QUOTE]
That’s what is left out and also now stories of upgrading horror story are coming out they are trying to suppress by talking about how big adoption rate is but fails to mention it doesn’t work very will with old hardware that doesn’t have driver support or the driver doesn’t work well with Windows 10. I also post at another forum and I see so many posters asking “Where is support for Windows 10” on my system. And what I tell them is you are the support not the Laptop/Desktop manufacture since they provided nothing to support for Windows 10. This is the story people forget you get Windows 10 but you alone are the support for it. And I been seeing that alot people get :a because they are like I was able to upgrade to Windows 10 why won’t my manufacture support me. I am like - when did they say they were going to give you support for a computer over 5 years old? And they have no response at that point.

Not surprised with those claims, cause it´s free for win 7 and 8 users, and the upgrade it’s almost mandatory, despite the fact that this OS is much, much better than windows 8.
For those who complain about the lack of drivers, don’t forget that this is a new SO, so it’s normal in the first months of live, same happened with windows Vista/7, some hardware could not get support at all, but usually that’s manufacturer’s fault, cause they just want to sell new hardware.

I really like Windows 10 Pro, its very stable and does just about all I want. I even like Cortana, voice recognition is very good and to be honest I have nothing to hide, do when people talk about security and MS spying on them, I guess they have secrets on their rigs, I am an open book. LOL.

Well, if you like it Alan, I’ll have to give it a try!

[QUOTE=alan1476;2759429]I really like Windows 10 Pro, its very stable and does just about all I want. I even like Cortana, voice recognition is very good and to be honest I have nothing to hide, do when people talk about security and MS spying on them, I guess they have secrets on their rigs, I am an open book. LOL.[/QUOTE]

I do not entirely agree with you in your view. I agree that if you have Windows 8.1, you really should upgrade and that Windows 10 so far is acting just as stable as stable as Windows 7. Once Cortana is tamed by instaling FireFox and so loosen the proprietary behavior and choose how it searches it is a great function.
After that, download “O&O ShutUp 10” to stop what is not easy to get to during install and you have a great instalation.

That is where it stops though… I do not have anything to hide either, but I am concerned about the ever expanding invasion on your right to privacy on a general level.
This is not just about Microsoft though, more and more programs phones home withouth the users consent and some, like the CinemaHD 4 program, will actually deactivate itself unless it can phone home. That is like putting you in the passenger seat on your own PC. Knowing what processes are allowed access to the internet is just taking IT security seriously, but according to such registration schemes, anyone doing so has to be a hacker? Nope, fact is that phoning home without the user’s knowledge is what is bordering to hacking. Done by a company and being legal or in the gray according to local laws does not change that fact.

Luckily, Microsoft is not there yet, but for every program you install, compattelrunner.exe phones home to Microsoft with the information just to mention one. Why on earth would I let it? The official reason is to help microsoft with compatibility of course, but in reality, it also helps them to fasten their grip on the market, choose partners and give early inside information as to what companies to buy cheap as it statistically will show trends earlier than anual and quarterly reports will. This may give them an edge in the market that not necessarily serves the Windows users for the better.

This is still just sidetrack of a much larger picture though, the future will see a bigger challenge when information from various registers gets coupled together.
The current challenge only makes IT security much harder. I wrote in another thread that blocking internet access for non-essential services and processes is pro-active towards future unknown vulnerabilities as there is no way to attack what can not answer the call. I will advice you adopt this way of thinking or you will be running late with security patches

We do not have have to have anything to hide to insist on being in the driver’s seat on our own PC.

@Xercus

After that, download “O&O ShutUp 10” to stop what is not easy to get to during install and you have a great instalation.

Kudos for you, i didn’t knew about that program, but it’s great. Tried many but this is the most complete that i’ve ever seen.

[QUOTE=darkalien74;2759491]@Xercus

Kudos for you, i didn’t knew about that program, but it’s great. Tried many but this is the most complete that i’ve ever seen.[/QUOTE]

I posted about it in the software forum last week, they have an updated version already. http://club.myce.com/f3/o-o-shutup10-1-0-1343-1-a-339633/

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2759446]Well, if you like it Alan, I’ll have to give it a try![/QUOTE] Thanks durkinit.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2759509]I posted about it in the software forum last week, they have an updated version already. http://club.myce.com/f3/o-o-shutup10-1-0-1343-1-a-339633/[/QUOTE]
In that case, please accept my apology for not linking to the article on this site, but I was unaware of its existence.
Why does it not show in a site search for ‘O&O Shutup’ or ‘O&O Shut up’?

There are a few annoying quirks with Edge that put me off using it right from the start.

I remember switching from Internet Explorer 3 to Netscape as Internet Explorer did not show the download speed.

Edge now does the same:

If the Edge browser is closed while one or more downloads are in progress, it cancels the downloads without warning and no option to resume them later.

For comparison, if you try closing Internet Explorer 11 with active downloads, it will display the download window to show there are active downloads. Even if you close that, it will give the option to resume them the next time Internet Explorer is launched, unlike Edge.

I don’t recall any issue with general web browsing in Edge, but as I don’t have a super fast connection, I’d rather stick with a browser that doesn’t feel like Internet Explorer 3 when downloading files.

O&O SHUT UP is updated

O&O ShutUp10 1.2.1351.1

[QUOTE=alan1476;2759510]Thanks durkinit.:)[/QUOTE] Do the update durkinit, especially the new Build 1511, its vastly superior to Windows 7.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2759429]I really like Windows 10 Pro, its very stable and does just about all I want. I even like Cortana, voice recognition is very good and to be honest I have nothing to hide, do when people talk about security and MS spying on them, I guess they have secrets on their rigs, I am an open book. LOL.[/QUOTE]I don’t have many secrets myself. However, I am fairly tired of that excuse. The fact is, Microsoft has no right to spy on everyone regardless of whether they have something to hide or not.

Also, having “something to hide” isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Whistle blowers have plenty to hide, since blowing a whistle could put one’s very life in danger. Edward Snowden would probably be dead if Russia hadn’t given him asylum. That’s not to say that everyone is Edward Snowden, but IMHO that’s no reason take the chance that future whistle blowers will by identified by Microsoft and murdered by government official that don’t want the truth to be revealed.