Windows 10 market share increased with less than 5% in 2018

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/review/windows-10-market-share-increased-with-less-than-5-in-2018-85727/

Although Microsoft is fully focused on Windows 10, the operating system only gained 4% in market share over the last 12 months. At this moment, Windows 7 is still the most popular Windows version, but the difference between the older OS and Windows 10 is not significant anymore.

Windows 10 users just have to fear all the information that is being slurped off their machine about them. I would rather have an insecure machine than allow Microsoft, Google, Facebook and all the others out there trying to own my privacy; telemetry anyone?. It’s bad enough that medical research companies lay claim to my DNA or certainly parts of it.

If Microsoft was really interested in providing a secure and efficient operating system, they would have used Windows 10 as a chance to write something totally new and dump all the legacy crap that still clings to Winshit 10. Haven’t installed a 32 bit version of 10 but Windows 7 x86 still has edlin.com sitting in the Windows folder along with a plethora of other initial DOS apps / commands. Real lazy and sloppy coding IMO.

I must agree w10 is simply crap. It may have some new features from time to time but the Agile software development cycle has brought numerous woes to the end users… let alone the overall user experience (Not just the GUI but must everything).

In fact many in my local computer community still hate w10 to the guts and refuse to use it, insisting on installing the older w7 whenever permitted. Even most ITs stick to w7 saying that migrating to w10 has brought them endless troubles. No wonder… after all, w10’s new woes appear on my local computer forum daily.

I must OTOH disagree with dumping all the legacy crap, because people do need those legacy support (drivers etc.) when they need it. Already, w10 has been in the process of ditching such legacy stuff eg. trying to hide the Control Panel which people simply loved (and preferred) to use.

IMHO what M$ should do with w10 is to dump all the redundant “extras” eg. various apps for gaming, aggressive telemetry, embedded advertising, even tiles (nobody like the tiles view in a true workplace)… but even so, I wouldn’t switch to w10 – M$'es reputation is simply (and forever) tarnished.

While Windows 10 has had some obvious problems over the years as long as your hardware is supported it works well. I am glad I upgraded from Windows 7 back on Dec 1st 2015. those still clinging to Windows 7 will be forced to dump it soon enough not long after Jan 2020 passes. if someone truly dislikes Windows 10 THAT much, Linux is always a option once Windows 7 expires in Jan 2020. I run Linux Mint v19.1 on a backup computer (it’s likely from 2008) I got which is a laptop but my primary computer has Windows 10 on it. although I did register a free copy of Windows 10 on the laptop just in case I ever need to use it but I plan on keeping Linux on that since it’s pretty much just a basic internet machine and in this regard it’s more secure than Windows.

I may be in a slightly unique position of having a triple boot system with 7, 8.1 and 10 all installed on the same SSD. For me, Windows 10 is the slowest of the three in general use and seems to have gotten slower over the years and not faster. 10 is also the newest install being only a couple of months old. It’s had to be reinstalled about 4 times since 2015 because things like UWP simply stop working, which is quite a feat considering it barely gets used,

The amount of recent troubles with 1809 tell you that after 3+ years Microsoft isn’t learning from its mistakes and the more they add to the OS, the more they keep breaking things. The increase in the Windows 10 share in 2018 is just the dead Win 7/8.1/Vista machines being replaced by Win 10 ones.

After all this time I still don’t know anybody first hand who actually likes Windows 10, everybody I talk to just tolerates it because they know there really is no other choice.

Yes, I do agree that you can’t go legacy cold turkey and I regret not explaining this correctly. The legacy phase out would take place over a number of years, maybe 5 and that would give the coders time to write leaner code for their apps. There are 3 years before Win 8.1 goes EOL. How long did it take Apple to go from their OS9 to OSX Unix based change? OS9 users kept using that “legacy” software until it came time to purchase new hardware that came with OSX.x It may have been tough during the changeover stage but after a few years the benefits must have been worth it. It’s a bit like putting up with roadworks for a couple of years to finally get a more efficient multi-lane highway.

I can’t remember OS9 and it’s predecessors, if indeed I ever used it but I do like the way OSX.x has the same GUI layout in each following iteration. Microsoft has change every GUI, so some degree, since Windows 1, no, let’s be fair, Windows 95. Windows 10, IMO, is the worst GUI yet but that is partly due to memory issues that I now suffer but the continual changes makes it harder for the older members of the non technical side of the workforce.

I would also like to be able to install an operating system where I don’t have to create a 150GB partition to install system files and my basic apps without having to resize it later with a new SSD or M.2 drive. I remember installing my TechNet version of Vista when it was released to us. I made a VM (Virtual PC) with a 50GB VHD, installed Vista, 17GB, Office 2003 and Adobe CS2; 31GB consumed. I then did the Updates and I had lost over 40GB. I actually like Vista as a virtual. Ran real nice but it just didn’t seem to like non virtual hardware too much. :roll_eyes: Apologies, I am now waffling off topic so it looks like the meds are working.

My other pet hate with Windows 10 was/is the way it is being forced on you by Microsoft. I have a laptop with a 1GB SSHD; a 120GB C partition and the rest in D:. I couldn’t figure out why I was losing capacity on both partitions and then realised I hadn’t enabled Show Hidden Files and Folders. When I did I found the dreaded $Windows.~BT folder on BOTH partitions. The one on the C partition had done THREE file Updates and was sitting on 7.5GB of install files. The one on the D partition didn’t do any Updates. Now I had NOT asked for or given any permission for these files to be copied to my laptop. Microsoft had stolen bandwidth that didn’t belong to them and I had set Updates to Never check for updates (Not recommended) but that didn’t stop them. Each time I put measures in to stop MS from trying to force me to Update to Winshit 10, they came up with counter measures. Now that just isn’t ethical. On that basis they should have changed their name to Pear because Apple was already taken.

[quote=“NBR, post:4, topic:403650”]
Linux is always a option once Windows 7 expires in Jan 2020. [/quote]

I would agree but my now 12 month old laptop doesn’t have any drivers for it except Winshit 10 ones. That means I have to experiment with the different Linus flavours and see which one is going to work best with what hardware I’ve got. So I compromised and installed Win8.1 and hope I get hit by a concrete truck before 10 January 2023. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Triple boot only works as long as the O/S is still supported after that then…

I say this now a human making general assumption of something slower in the O/S is fallacy to start with.

I am on 1803 and quite stable O/S right now. A uptick in W10 is a uptick regardless of how one wants to make it.

I came from W7 to W10 during the free upgrade and considering my system bios and hardware has drivers for W10 it runs problem free for the most part beyond 3rd party software issues.

I have even a older laptop from the XP days and I loaded it with Windows 10x64 Pro 1803 and have no such problems as you describing so this is more or less the laptop maker issue and not Windows 10 or caused by Windows.

What are you are talking about, an OS doesn’t have to be supported to be run in multiboot. But all three are supported anyway so I don’t get your point.

How can it be a fallacy? I have eyes and a sense of time and can see when something I do on one OS is noticeably faster or slower on another OS with the exact same hardware. Like I said if you read, this is a use case for me, not anybody else.

I see, so because you are running stable, everyone in the world running into issues don’t matter? The fact you are still on 1803 reinforces my point, 2+ months after its release I still don’t think 1809 is rolling out for everybody. And this is major update number.…?

So did I and MS told me all my hardware was supported (hardware circa 2013). At least one of my installs failed just after it updated itself the first time with NO third party app/driver installs at all. Is that my fault?

How do you know the problem someone else is having is not being caused by Windows? Again you are going by a test case of one, because you have something working the problem for other people must, therefore, lay somewhere else.

During the free upgrade year I was able to successfully upgrade machines from 2008/2009 because they were “supported” by Windows 10. I’m guessing that a lot of the issues people have with Windows 10 are in part due to older hardware. But who’s at fault, the user for upgrading a computer they are told is supported or Microsoft for saying computers that old can be upgraded?

If Microsoft had thought a bit more long term than desparately trying to get every machine they could onto Windows 10 that first year, things might be a little better now.

Personally I would either go Windows 7 or Windows 10 as Windows 8’s interface was crap upon release which after that point I never bothered with it as I briefly tested it on a virtual machine but it’s interface was horrible for desktop/laptop users as it was more for tablets and that was a showstopper which is why I think a lot of people dissed Windows 8. Windows 10 is definitely better than Windows 8 if you ask me, especially if your hardware works on Windows 10 which chances are yours does.

but if your laptop is recent chances are Windows 10 will be perfectly fine on it. hell, Windows 10 basically works fine on my 10 year old laptop (HP DV5-1002nr), which is my backup computer, but I currently have Linux Mint v19.1 Cinnamon on it as the scroll option on websites works with Linux unlike Windows 10 as Win10 does not work 100% with the touchpad as the right side of the touchpad, which is used to scroll websites, does not work. but it works fine under Linux as that’s the only real problem Windows 10 has on my old laptop although another issue with Linux is laptop battery life which will take a hit vs Windows, but mine is okay enough since it’s not my primary computer anyways. either way, with a mouse connected then that’s not a issue at all.

plus, as a added bonus… Linux is generally more secure online especially given no one really bothers to attack it like they do with Windows. so it’s sort of ‘security through obscurity’ at the very least. but being alot of the crap that attacks Windows does not effect Linux that’s more security right there.

p.s. I don’t understand the hate for Windows 10 as if Windows 10 likes your hardware it’s basically a better version of Windows 7.