Windows 10 .ISO downloads no longer available – Microsoft enforces usage of Media Creation Tool

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 10 .ISO downloads no longer available – Microsoft enforces usage of Media Creation Tool[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/11/windows-10.-phone-laptop-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-iso-downloads-no-longer-available-microsoft-enforces-usage-of-media-creation-tool-78353/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Personally, I hate using the Media Creation Tool. Messy and another thing to leave tracks on a system. Just give me a link to the ISO not a tool to download it. I’m perfectly capable and able to burn it w/o hand holding.

[QUOTE=DrinkLyeAndDie;2766511]Personally, I hate using the Media Creation Tool. Messy and another thing to leave tracks on a system. Just give me a link to the ISO not a tool to download it. I’m perfectly capable and able to burn it w/o hand holding.[/QUOTE]
That makes two of us… at least. Personally I prefer a standard FTP download compared to a HTTP as well. All these downloader tools only adds another layer of insecurity, and as you point out, leave unwanted tracks on a system.

I can understand that a downloader/creation tool may be preferable for those not in the know-how out there, but personally I do disagree in removing the possibility of user control to be the best way to upgrade when you do not support even a clean install. What if you do need to repair Windows?

As for fighting piracy, I simply am amazed at how stupid it is possible to become. The pirated ISO is available the same or the next day no matter. In light of that, it will in reality mean that you can not get the original ISO anymore and so if you need it, you will have to download the pirated version and thus get vulnerable to malware.

Then again, M$ is already malware coders and so this move to promote piracy instead of fighting it is only too natural. :confused:

Yet another walk-over for the scene I’m afraid. :Z

Doesn’t the media creation tool let you make install disc/usb thumbdrive? I think I used it to create the USB I have which I used once to update my computers from win7 to win10, and then after my key was registered I wiped both computers and did clean installs with the same usb drive.

Is the author 100% sure you can’t make an install disc/drive using media creation tool? Feels like one of those slam microsoft things like the one the other day when people were up in a panick that MS wasn’t going to support win8, when in fact it’s because they are supporting 8.1.

I’m pretty sure the media creation tool can make a fresh install usb flash drive. Maybe not quite as flexible as an ISO but I think it still works.

[QUOTE=Zod;2766516]Doesn’t the media creation tool let you make install disc/usb thumbdrive? I think I used it to create the USB I have which I used once to update my computers from win7 to win10, and then after my key was registered I wiped both computers and did clean installs with the same usb drive.

Is the author 100% sure you can’t make an install disc/drive using media creation tool? Feels like one of those slam microsoft things like the one the other day when people were up in a panick that MS wasn’t going to support win8, when in fact it’s because they are supporting 8.1.

I’m pretty sure the media creation tool can make a fresh install usb flash drive. Maybe not quite as flexible as an ISO but I think it still works.[/QUOTE]

For the time being, you are right. “A clean install isn’t supported” does not agree with the text found on the Microsoft page

Under [B]Using the media creation tool[/B]Follow these instructions to perform a clean installation of Windows 10. If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, follow the instructions in the Upgrade to Windows 10 using the tool section. If you haven’t upgraded to Windows 10 yet and perform a clean installation, you’ll need to enter a qualifying product key for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 or buy a license in order to activate Windows 10. Click here for information on qualified editions.

1. Run the media creation tool.
    2, Select Create installation media for another PC.
  2. Choose the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10.
  3. Follow the steps to create the installation media, and then select Finish when it’s done.
  4. When you’re ready to perform a clean installation, turn on your PC, insert the DVD or USB flash drive you created, and then shut down your PC.
  5. Restart your PC, and then press any key to boot from the DVD or USB flash drive.I presumed that the article referenced a coming change when I wrote my first post, but there seem to be no link as to the source of information used. Only the link to the download site which currently contradicts the entire story :eek:

When we did my new machine buddy used the latest ISO to a new 120 gig ssd and after it was good to go used my win7 info. Activated fine and is working though I’m still ironing out video driver bugs.

This story may be an issue of semantics, etc. Microsoft has been going the route of the Media Creation Tool as of late. If you are a TechNet person, etc, you can still download Microsoft software ISOs. In pushing the Media Creation Tool when people use it to create a bootable USB or DVD it has the latest version of Windows 10 that Microsoft is pushing out rather than some months old version that will need updating. This can be seen as a security-based decision and supposed ease-of-use for the great herd of technophobes.

When I used the Media Creation Tool I used it to download and burn to a bootable DVD to perform a clean install on a brand new SSD in the same machine. A clean fresh full install is most definitely doable. After the clean install I never had to activate. Once I logged in with my account it already knew I had moved from a legal copy of 8.1 and my system was automatically activated.

Since when is the inability to own a physical copy of a Windows Installation disc new? Anyone who gets a Windows 7 system will find themselves unable to reinstall 7 without having to beg and plead with the manufacturer for a recovery disc. Then, when you get a disc, it will probably be a “wipe your entire system with a preconfigured image” disc, as opposed to an actual repair disk that can… I don’t know… fix the system without reinstalling everything? At the very least, these discs should allow you to copy important files to a backup location, such as an external flash drive. Simple issues, like accidentally applying transparent NTFS compression to BOOTMGR (I’ve done that), should not require massive re-partitioning to fix.

On the other hand, there’s always a great multitude of GNU/Linux distros, which can easily do all of the above. ISO images are generally easy to find and download.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2766831]Since when is the inability to own a physical copy of a Windows Installation disc new? Anyone who gets a Windows 7 system will find themselves unable to reinstall 7 without having to beg and plead with the manufacturer for a recovery disc. Then, when you get a disc, it will probably be a “wipe your entire system with a preconfigured image” disc, as opposed to an actual repair disk that can… I don’t know… fix the system without reinstalling everything? At the very least, these discs should allow you to copy important files to a backup location, such as an external flash drive. Simple issues, like accidentally applying transparent NTFS compression to BOOTMGR (I’ve done that), should not require massive re-partitioning to fix.[/QUOTE]Really plead, beg oh please that is some story here-one just orders the disk for Windows 7 Factory Recovery disk. Also those include repair disk as well so not sure what stories you been feed but there so many misleading lines being told here. Also in Windows in Safe Mode you can create the Windows Repair disk as well.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2766831]On the other hand, there’s always a great multitude of GNU/Linux distros, which can easily do all of the above. ISO images are generally easy to find and download.[/QUOTE]Yeah like people are rushing to Linux…this Rosy story has so many holes a 767 can fly right through it. Linux are fighting among themselves to be any real threat to Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Office. So if one want to delude themselves by all means go ahead but don’t spread misleading conclusions that have false conclusions.