Windows 10 Insider build intercepts Chrome and Firefox installation

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-insider-build-intercepts-chrome-and-firefox-installation-85082/

Users have discovered that a new Insider version of Windows 10 intercepts the installation of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. As soon as users try to install each of these browsers, the installation is paused and a popup appears stating, “You already have Microsoft Edge — the safer, faster browser for Windows 10”.

Yet another reason to not install Winshit 10.

They’ve removed it again after saying it was a test for insiders. They didn’t need to go very far to see the mountains of negative feedback this this got, and rightly so.

Microsoft’s sheer desperation to get people to use Edge probably tells you how much of your browser data they want to collect and ultimately sell. If there was nothing much to gain they wouldn’t be trying so hard.

On my workplace computer which uses the ordinary public release builds, Edge still periodically displays pop-ups like the following when I launch Chrome or Firefox:

Edge%20pop-up%20for%20Chrome

I can’t remember when I last saw one of these on my home PC, so they probably target business PCs knowing that they are less likely to face negative feedback than from home users.

Glad I don’t get that message…I got IE, Edge, Chrome, FF and so far no problems.