Windows 10 IDE to AHCI mode

Installed Windows 10 with your SATA controller set in IDE mode and want to change it to AHCI mode?
Here is how to change it. (do so at your own risk).

Click the Start Button and type cmd
Right-click on command prompt and select Run as administrator
Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup
Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID
Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)
Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.

2 Likes

Must bookmark this for future reference. Could be very useful some day.

Thank you. :flower:

1 Like

Thanks Dee.
I am still running Windows 7 Pro 64 in IDE BIOS/MBR mode.
Sometime in the near future, I hope to take advantage of the free upgrade, which I have read still works.
When I do that I will likely want to change to AHCI to squeeze a few more MB/s out of my hard disk drives and this will be really useful information then.
Much appreciated.

The method will probably also work on Win 7, but I have never tried it.
If you want to try. first make a backup of your system drive by using something like Macrium Reflect free edition. Building of course a USB rescue media from within Macrium Reflect.

Not sure if you feel it faster with AHCI, even with NCQ.

I switched to AHCI long time ago to use Hotplugin for SATA-drives.

I used another method to switch from IDE to AHCI, I plugged in a PCIe SATA-controller,installed the driver, plug the OS-SSD to this controller, switched Mainboard to AHCI and innstalled AHCI-driver for mainboard,switched PC off and plug the OS-SSD to the board again.

Sounds complicated but is easy if you have some PCIe-SATA-cards, like me;)