Windows 10 Fall update (20H2) is released

It certainly installed fine on the Ryzen build.
Annotation 2020-08-01 164639

Let me know if your build seems a bit more stable, and runs a little bit faster like on boot up.

I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference.
The DAW machine has never had any stability or performance issues with the spring update anyway.
There is nothing installed on this DAW machine that isn’t absolutely required. It’s a lean, mean machine.

I could be just imagining thing are faster, because I am looking for some kind of change with updates. Its probably the same, mine has very little data on it, no games, just a few programs and that’s it. less than 100 GBs on a 1Tbs PCIe m.2 NVMe ssd. It just runs smooth and reliable.

So on my problem
Found out that it is not the 2004 version per say that will not work, it is the process of updating the current version to the 2004 version something does not go right.
When starting with the 2004 version I had no trouble getting it set up, but starting from scratch with 20 computers will be no fun.

It sounds like some setting or settings is not being carried over when you upgrade rather than clean install.

I guess its not possible for you to image the drive on the working one to the others?

I wish it was , still have a couple people looking at it hoping they come up with something else

Another update. This time on my Intel PC.
Haven’t checked the Ryzen PC yet.

Annotation 2020-08-11 194839

Yes I got it also2020-08-12_9-25-44

I think I’ve run into an issue with the >2004 update on my laptop or could be pure coincidental - I can no longer enter the BIOS setup or the boot menu. If I press ‘F2’ to try entering the BIOS setup, I get a screen saying “Intel boot agent” blinking in a loop. If I press ‘F12’ for the boot menu, it just boots straight into Windows as if I didn’t press it.

The last time I went into the BIOS setup was before I did the update using the “Dev Channel” loophole. It makes me wonder if it did some sort of UEFI update or something else that corrupted the BIOS setup firmware, especially as Microsoft was secret about why it it wouldn’t let my laptop update to version 2004 using the normal update. The laptop otherwise works fine, but now means I’m no longer able to change any BIOS settings.

What happens if you issue the following command from command prompt with Admin rights?
C:\Windows\system32\shutdown /r /fw

That command should restart the PC and enter the UEFI

It gives this error:
shutdown fw option error

I gave the F2 key another try and this time the laptop just freezes on the boot screen.

I tried downloading the last BIOS firmware update Fujitsu released for my P772 laptop to see if this will restore it. However, it says my system is not supported, either due to already having this version or not recognising the Windows dev release as a supported OS.

It’s very strange that your version of Windows doesn’t place shutdown.exe in the C:\windows\system32 folder.
You can hopefully get to it from Windows GUI.

Goto settings\update and security\ then click on the restore tab.
Now select the Advanced Startup option, and then select restart.

When you restart you should have a menu.
Click on Troubleshoot, then select the UEFI firmware settings option, then select the restart option.

If you can get into the BIOS, look for the boot option and disable the fast boot option if its enabled.
There are some systems that don’t enable the keyboard until after POST when fast boot is enabled. So once Windows boots the keyboard is detected and the system functions normally, but you can’t get into the BIOS.

The only other option I can think of is clearing CMOS. But that might not be easy to do on a laptop, and potentially dangerous if you still can’t get into the BIOS to setup.

I take it the laptop doesn’t support flashing the BIOS from a USB stick or HDD? The USB stick will need to be formatted as FAT or perhaps FAT32, in most cases

The shutdown executable is there, but just that error with the ‘/fw’ switch. If I type “shutdown -r” without ‘/fw’ switch, it reboots.

I tried the advanced start-up menu, but the UEFI firmware settings option is not there either and I’m sure I saw it before:

It also looks like I’m stuck with the current Windows installation, so should Windows have a major crash or if the SSD fails, it’ll be time for a new laptop. :slight_smile:

I took the SSD out temporarily to see if I could boot Linux from USB, but it just freezes at the Fujitsu logo, the same if I try pressing F2 when the SSD is installed. It ignores the F12 key for the boot menu, i.e. boots straight into Windows or freezes at the Fujitsu logo with the SSD removed.

That also rules out flashing from USB, although Fujitsu only seems to offer the firmware update for Windows 7 and 10.

Windows can certainly update CPU and chipset microcode. but I’ve never heard of it being able to flash any UEFI code.
Perhaps it’s corrupted CMOS. But as I already said, clearing CMOS could be dangerous, and since the laptop is currently working, it’s hard to recommend you trying it.

The only other thing that I can think of is the BIOS chip has no write cycles left and it is now read only. However, that shouldn’t prevent you getting into the BIOS, as its only recalling CMOS settings.
Many people think if you change your BIOS settings and save them, you are writing to the BIOS chip. This isn’t the case, saving the BIOS writes the information to CMOS NVRAM. I guess the NVRAM could have run out of write cycles, but that seems very unlikely.

I finally got access to the BIOS after reaching a point where I thought I bricked the laptop.

I saw on the Fujitsu downloads page a utility for configuring the BIOS options from the command line. I decided to take a chance by choosing factory defaults. I rebooted the laptop, pressed F2 and to my surprise, it went into the BIOS. The very first thing I wanted to do was change the boot order, but ran into a problem. The boot order had two options - (1) BIOS Setup and (2) Windows boot loader. The only commands are to swap around the entries or delete an entry.

When I exited the BIOS, it went straight back into the BIOS setup. The same by powering off and on again, ALT+CTRL+DEL, etc. I tried swapping the boot order so that the Windows boot loader was first, but same issue, it turned on straight into the BIOS setup. I thought that maybe secure boot was the culprit, but changing to legacy mode, IDE modes, etc. did nothing and the same with choosing the restore defaults option.

At this point, I figured the laptop was bricked as it was now stuck in the BIOS setup, the exact opposite issue to earlier. It wouldn’t boot the hard disk, any USB device or bring up a boot menu. So I went back to the boot order menu and tried deleting the Windows boot loader. Well, that left just the BIOS setup entry and the same after choosing factory defaults.

Finally, I deleted the BIOS setup entry, leaving the boot order menu blank as there’s no option to add anything to it, just change the (now empty) boot order. When I rebooted, it froze at the Fujitsu logo and had to hold the power button for several seconds to turn it off. I turned it on and it booted straight into Windows. When I rebooted and tried pressing F2 for BIOS setup, it brought up this rather unusual screen: :thinking:

When I pressed enter, it brought up the boot menu. The boot menu says to press TAB for BIOS setup and that brought me into the BIOS setup menu. This time, the boot priority screen had all the entries that should be there such as CD, USB, LAN, etc. Interestingly, it did not have BIOS setup as an entry, but then again I don’t recall it being there even before the issue first started. However, I did see ‘ERASE DISK’ as an entry that I don’t recall ever seeing before, so deleted it. Just in case I could not get back into the BIOS, I set USB as the first option, so at least I could boot USB media if something were to go wrong with the Windows installation.

The laptop now turns on and boots into Windows as usual. When I plugged my Linux USB stick in, it booted that upon power on. When I press F2 for BIOS setup, it now brings up the boot menu instead and pressing TAB in that menu at least still takes me into BIOS setup. It still ignores the F12 key, booting straight into Windows.

Anyway, at least the laptop is working and can access the BIOS and boot menu again despite the weird quirk. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to hear you have it working.

Does the BIOS have language settings?
I’m thinking along the lines that perhaps it is presently set on English US, rather than English UK. Maybe the keymap is wrong at the moment?

I had a quick check and it has two language options - English (US) and Japanese (JP). :smile:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Another big update for Windows 10 2004.
The build version goes up to 19041.488

Annotation 2020-09-03 233259

Here is a long list of improvements and bug fixes.

I got it alsoWinverPro 10