Windows 10 (Fall Update) 1909 rolling out

I just got my Windows 10 1909 update, and it didn’t break anything :slight_smile:
Rolling out now via Windows update.
Most of the new stuff is under the hood, so don’t expect to see loads of new features.

1 Like

I’ve had issues with every major update since 1803. During the update there’d be an issue and Windows would roll back. As a result I stuck with 1803 but that has now reached EOL for updates. I gave 1909 a shot. I went the ISO to USB stick method via Rufus. It completed without issue. Since I just finished I’ll have to see if I run into any problems down the road.

Only version I had many problems was V1903. I have some software-test-PCs @work and most showed only a gray screen after update (from DVD)

Some months ago MS announced there will be no V1909, they want only to release bigger updates for 1903.

This feature update appears to be a 2-stage process. My laptop was busy for a while whirring its fan and when I went to check what’s hogging the processor, Windows update was busy installing the November Cummulative update KB4524570. I thought it was stuck as it spent around 30 minutes at the 74% mark. Once it hit 75%, it finished off pretty quick and rebooted.

I checked Windows Update again and saw the option to install the feature update to 1909. As I was at my desktop PC, I decided to start this. A minute later it said it was ready to restart, so I presumed it must have downloaded in the background. After the reboot, it said it was finishing updates, rebooted once more and back to the desktop. Sure enough, the Windows About page shows I’m running version 1909, just 3 minutes after I clicked to install the feature update.

So it appears a bulk of this feature upate is in that big KB4524570 update and the actual 1909 update just does some finishing touches. On the other hand, it does leave the computer usable for most of the installation process.

So far I have updated 2 out of 11 here at work and both seem to be working fine.

I agree Sean that KB file seemed to take a long time and then the rest was just done

This is what Microsoft is saying about the update

Windows 10, version 1909 is a scoped set of features for select performance improvements, enterprise features and quality enhancements.

To deliver these updates in an optimal fashion, we are providing this feature update in a new way: using servicing technology. Users that are already running Windows 10, version 1903 (the May 2019 Update) will receive this update similar to how they receive monthly updates. If you are running version 1903, then updating to the new release will have a much faster update experience because the update will install like a monthly update.

Microsoft is blocking the Windows 10 November 2019 Update on systems with certain Realtek Bluetooth drivers

Source: Betanews

No impact to me since my BT hardware is from Broadcom. Four days on and 1909 is running perfectly smooth.

11/14/2019 pc had notice to start win10 automatic update, closed aps per instructions, started update w/ restart per instructions.
was updating ok and about 75%, started restart, and darkscreen w/ balls/circles processing;
10 hours later still doing the balls/circles, fan whirring and very warm, unable to stop process, forced power off.
1 hour after cooled down, powered on to see what would happen, and straight back to balls/circles, gave it 2-2 hours, nothing.
trying to figure out how to get back on pc,
previous win10 update aprox october was ok and no problems just very slow. started win10 last year 2018, and the first 3 updates and suggested updates were long process; and had auto updates but only w/ notification first and review and option;
now, no option to review update info first, and per ms have no choice now, have to always auto update.
is there a section for win10, to help understand ths mess.
am old cd.freak, and returning to site and navigation for info is different now and tricky.

ps, am now on different refurb w/ win7 pro just to get to site(cdfreaks), win 7 so much faster and easy, makes sense and lesser useless junk, and what to do when ms removes win7 support jan 2020, hmm,
time to learn/start virtual w/ linux

I suggest installing something like Linux Mint (v19.2-Cinnamon) to it ASAP since, as you already know, you only got about 2 months left for Windows 7. I got Mint running on all of my computers and it’s a solid alternative to Windows especially if you don’t require too much Windows specific software as for what Windows specific software I did use (i.e. Foobar2000 etc), Wine works fine with it. but if you just want a reliable internet machine, it’s hard to go wrong with something like Linux Mint.

hell, I do have Windows 10 1909 running in VirtualBox on Linux Mint, but I don’t use it much.

p.s. as far as your Windows 10 issue… assuming you don’t have any ‘can’t afford to lose’ kind of data on it I would probably just say the hell with it and wipe the drive and clean install Windows 10 1909 using bootable USB/DVD (you can download a Windows 10 1909 ISO using the official Microsoft ‘Media Creation Tool’ and then I suggest using Rufus to make the bootable ISO on a USB stick (or if you prefer DVD burn a ISO like usual)). if there is some data you need to get off the hard drive before wiping it, you can probably access it from the Linux Mint bootable device and transfer the files you need from the hard drive to a external hard drive or USB stick etc. Linux Mint v19.3 should be due out soon (before Christmas) if you want to wait until then as that’s the last release of Linux Mint v19 before they start with v20. but anyways… assuming your Windows 10 PC is currently shot, you should be able to do the ISO download from your Windows 7 PC. hell, it’s still possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free the last I checked which was earlier this year. but if it’s a older computer I would probably opt for Linux Mint anyways as I got a older laptop with a underpowered CPU and Linux Mint definitely runs all around better than Windows 10 does on it.

Based on using Windows 10 on my occasionally used laptop since its launch, it’s surprising just how bloated the Windows installation got over the years with all the updates. It came to the point where it was taking around 1-2 hours to install a month’s worth of updates if I hadn’t switched it on in a month. That’s with an SSD, a fast CPU for the time (Core i5 3340m) and 12GB of RAM, so can just imagine how much longer this would be with a traditional hard disk.

For comparison, once I prepared a Windows 10 installation USB and backed up everything I need from the laptop, I’m quite sure it took just 10 minutes to do a clean Windows 10 installation and no more than an hour reinstalling the software I need. Unlike Windows 7 and earlier, Windows 10 generally has most, if not all the drivers on Windows update. Since doing this a few months ago, each monthly round of Windows updates now takes a small fraction of the time.

If your computer had Windows 8 or later on it when you bought it, the Windows 10 installation will likely pick up the key from the firmware during installation, i.e. not prompt for it during the installation. So as NBR said, I also strongly recommend doing a clean Windows 10 installation instead.

The biggest mistake I see people make is buy a computer with low end hardware saying “I’ll only need it for business trips and presentations”. This is where Windows 10 catches them out as the laptop could be sitting in a corner for 2-3 months before taken out on their business trip. They get frustrated at the hotel wondering why the laptop is painfully slow and barely usable, not realising Windows is busy catching up on a few months worth of updates with a slow Intel Atom processor and possibly a traditional hard disk also.

2 Likes

I have found that 1909 is very stable and most probably the best version of Windows 10 yet.

1 Like

I never have to input key when I upgraded all of the computers I had from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and this still worked the last I checked which was earlier this year and I would assume it still does.

I just upgrade from Win7 to Win10 using the official Media Creation Tool, then it automatically registers/activates, then I just wipe the drive and install Win10 from scratch and skip the key section during installation and it automatically activates and that’s that. your good :wink:

1 Like

After installing Windows 10 fresh for someone (after a HDD failure), Windows 1909 does have one sneaky new feature. It no longer gives the option to create an offline account. Previously, this option was hidden on the screen to create a new Microsoft account.

From searching around for suggestions, there are three workarounds to reveal the hidden screen:

1 - Disconnect the Ethernet cable (if using a desktop) and click the top-left back button.

2 - Create a new Microsoft account, then switch to a local account after it finishes setting up (main tip I came across for the 1909 release.)

3 - Enter bogus credentials (tip from one YouTube comment I found). This works - “User” for username and “password” for password.

In my case, it was a laptop and I couldn’t turn off its Wi-Fi as the hotkey didn’t work (probably needed a driver) and couldn’t turn off the Wi-Fi as others were using it. I wanted to avoid the second option. For the third option, I didn’t have much luck trying invalid e-mail addresses (kept suggesting I use another PC to recover my account). However, when I entered the credentials “User” and “password”, it told me my account was locked out and suggested I create an offline account instead. :wink:

1 Like

I did a upgrade to 1909 on a laptop I got to that damn screen login in with a MS email I forgot do not set up your wireless during install and then proceed so I had to shut my wireless network down to get by it.

That was easy until the better half comes screaming at me is your internet out you would have thought it was the end of the world.

Thinking very quickly I said yes Honey they must be repairing the Internet and I told her I would have to reset the network boy that was a close one.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

They’re a sneaky pack of buggers!
Thanks very much for the work-around.

There are a few stories doing the rounds that Windows 11 will be based on UNIX/Linux.

1 Like

The way I heard it was that IBM owned RedHat was developing a dual OS with Microsoft. This may all be bull but I read it on an internet blog, and no " I dont believe everything I read on the internet" LOL