Windows 10 arrival date is July 29, 2015

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 10 arrival date is July 29, 2015[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/06/GetStartedApp_Image_1x-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-arrival-date-is-july-29-2015-76232/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Looking through a few other sites, it seems the download for Windows 10 could be close to 3gb in size.

And Ed Bott is reporting that as the population of Windows 10 machines grows, there will be an option to use p2p connections for future updates for computers on a private network, and potentially, for larger networks connected over the internet.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2754702]Looking through a few other sites, it seems the download for Windows 10 could be close to 3gb in size.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I can confirm that here.

I got the upgrade message this morning and it mentions the file size at the bottom of the first notification page shown below.

[B]Wombler[/B]

That could obviously be a problem for people without fast broadband. Is it true there will be no boxed discs available, i.e, download only. Mmm, I wonder if an ISO disc or whatever could be made with this download.

I received the notification as well said about 3Gig size…

[QUOTE=SexyTec14;2754741]I received the notification as well said about 3Gig size…[/QUOTE]

Same here got notice but haven’t gone that route yet…not going to trust installing it on my main system either…

Since I have a Windows 7 computer that doesn’t come with any recovery media, I guess I’ll think about getting 10, if only to fix the problems my 7 installation will probably have. But, since I spend the majority of my time on GNU/Linux, there is a chance that I won’t be getting 10. I may eventually get rid of Windows altogether, instead.

While my laptop gave the task tray icon to reserve my copy, the Windows 8.1 partition on my desktop did not, even with all the Windows updates installed.

I think the problem I had with my desktop is that I had roughly 10GB of free space on the OS partition as I stored VirtualBox images on it.

I freed up about 30GB by moving old images to a hard disk and ran this script Microsoft posted. The script ran for about 10 minutes and the icon appeared once the script completed.

So for anyone else who doesn’t see this icon, check if the OS partition (‘C’ drive) has plenty of free space. :wink:

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2754709]That could obviously be a problem for people without fast broadband. Is it true there will be no boxed discs available, i.e, download only. Mmm, I wonder if an ISO disc or whatever could be made with this download.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure about that one.

In the past they’ve always made ISOs available but this is a free upgrade and I believe one of Microsoft’s longer term aims is to move away from discs, so who knows? :confused:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I seem to remember a fair time ago that Microsoft said it wouldn’t be doing a boxed retail unit. I guess it saves them a shed load of money not making a pressed disc and all the cardboard/paper that goes with.
I hope an iso, or img can be made, or I think a load of people are going to find it hard to download. After the freebee, you have to buy I guess, just a licence and still download. Downloading 3Gig is no hassle for me, but a huge chunk of the UK is still on dialup, or super slow broadband. (I should say “narrowband”) I would guess an unknown number in the US are in the same position.