As I've mentioned bits and pieces of in other threads concerning the 1607 release:
The link to the tool posted by Dee to force the update will not work for the Enterprise edition and so my hunch is that it is strictly for the home and professional version.
The Windows 10 Pro simply blazed through the upgrade in 20 minutes or so and was done with it, absolutely no troubles at all.
Now that is more of a test computer, one I set up for use with this forum and so there are no special installs apart from Office 2016, a few tools to make working with registry and text easier. Oh, and of course O&O shutup10.
Now, my Enterprise edition main hobby computer is more prone to break as it is set up not to report anything anywhere and so it was with some doubts I started the upgrade last night. As I mentioned in another thread, I call this computer Fort Knox for fun (it is not its name in windows though). Furthermore it has way more than 2000 programs and utilities as that is where I do my 'hobby' work with PE files and reviving old games for yet another round in a new OS.
The upgrade itself went without any challenges or faults of any kind and when it booted into Windows after upgrade I was actually thinking they got it right for once.
I noticed that svchost.exe suddenly asked for access to port 53 and port 68, but thought ok, DNS/DHCP is O.K. and added the rules to my firewall and all seemed to work fine, more on that later below.
Then I fired up a couple of games from the late 90s and they started up without any challenges being detecte. GREAT I thought and entered the forum to spread the word... And went to bed.
As it turns out that was a little too early to start the celebration:
Of course, as Kerry mentions, the privacy settings must be tweaked again, but personally I simply used O&O Shutup10's "Apply all recommended and limited recommended settings", and then I turned on "Sending URLs from apps to Windows Store disabled" in addition
Still, we're so used to M$ resetting this at their convenience and our inconvenience ever so often and so it is hardly worth mentioning anymore.
The same goes for default programs apart from that part being a little better this time around as I so far have only noticed Internet 'Exploder' taking over as default browser
There were a few services turned on too, like 'IP Helper', 'DNS Client', 'Geolocation service', 'Program Compatibility Assistant Service' of which I all had set to disabled as I do not need them running.
Then I notice a few more which seems to be new and have to investigatet further...
User Data Acces_###
User Data Storage_###
Windows Push Notification User Service_###
Now the ### is a variable hex formatted number. This I know since deleting them from the registry causes them to be recreated with a different hex number at the end. Can't say I did notice them before the upgrade. They all have the same in common... You can stop and start them, but not change startup type as that gives you a 'The parameter is incorrect' error.
Now, I am no easy quitter and so I went to the registry and disabled them directly by setting startup type 4 manually and then rebooted. Guess what, they disappeared from services and the Start menu seems to sort of break as a result (no icon for settings though it could be started from the now blank spot which is the pinned entry on my task bar. In other words, it works but became hidden as a result)
I had to check of course and indeed, even the Pro edition has these entries but with a different hex number.
Then I noticed I was unable to access a share on the computer!!!
As it turns out, Microsoft probably figured I have way to many restrictions in my firewall and in a subtle but malicious move, they removed all Microsoft entries. Yes that is correct, ALL Microsoft rules, not a single one of mine (kind of reminds of the fact that they remove 'New Text document' from the 'New' menu when you switch from Notepad to a decent text editor). This left me with no networking apart from being able to browse the net because of the two rules added yesterday (on second thought, I think they left the disabled Microsoft '@...' rules in there).
Probably, they do this in an effort to force the user to reinstate default rules to regain control of the computer's networking... :a
Close, but no cigar! I do not call it Fort Knox for nothing and the computer features a double telemetry and other reporting block, FQDN by hosts and single IPs and IP ranges by firewall. Most any program not used explicitly to access the net is blocked and the firewall has been changed to 'Outbound connections' 'Block' by default to encompass new installs and updates trying to access the net. Furthermore, there is no network access on startup until I manually enable it after Windows is fully booted and I am logged in.
Naturally, with the amount of privacy and security work I have put into this computer (Years of paranoia :bigsmile:), I would hate to lose it and so I routinely made an image backup as well as complete backup my firewall config and registries before doing the upgrade :iagree:
It pays off being cautious, restore firewall rules took 5 seconds and nothing lost :disagree: