Windows 10 Anniversary update kills Linux partitions

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Windows 10 Anniversary update kills Linux partitions[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/08/Co3Y61VXYAAeECI-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Users complain they miss Linux partitions after installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update. On both social media and Linux related forums users post that the Windows 10 update removed partitions from their system without asking.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-anniversary-update-kills-linux-partions-80128/](http://www.myce.com/news/windows-10-anniversary-update-kills-linux-partions-80128/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

To be frank, I think Microsoft has become victim of development by the kitchen sink, too few programmers with a holistic view, too many with an eye only for their own part and a non-working developing management.

Harsh words I know, but with the many flaws noted in this latest incarnation of the Windows OS, installation and all, it will see patches until December.
First of all, how hard is it to save the user’s preferences? Not at all, still they fail in doing that even for Windows update. Lame first, not respecting user’s choice next.
How hard is it to detect a dual boot? Not at all, there really is nothing to it! Lame first, Lame next and so on ad infinity.

All this leads to more competent users in time, time Microsoft does not have. Today, Apple’s development seems way more professional than Microsoft’s amateurish attempts at coding something decent…

Weird my linux partitions are fine

[QUOTE=slayerking;2778927]Weird my linux partitions are fine[/QUOTE]

Hi slayerking, nice to see you back here.:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Hi slayerking, nice to see you back here.
Thanks Alan :wink:

[QUOTE=slayerking;2778927]Weird my linux partitions are fine[/QUOTE]

Naturally they are if you only have Linux :bigsmile:

On a serious note, one interesting question in this respect, how do you dual boot (tool/partition layout)?

[QUOTE=Xercus;2778945]Naturally they are if you only have Linux :bigsmile:

On a serious note, one interesting question in this respect, how do you dual boot (tool/partition layout)?[/QUOTE]
Dual boot fedora/w10 It probably has something to do with the file system used, I use ext4 (still) mount the winblows efi partition and just go simple swap, /, /home. Used to do a few more like usr/local but just cant be bothered anymore.

[QUOTE=slayerking;2778953]Dual boot fedora/w10 It probably has something to do with the file system used, I use ext4 (still) mount the winblows efi partition and just go simple swap, /, /home. Used to do a few more like usr/local but just cant be bothered anymore.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much slayerking, great info :flower:

I do wonder which GNU/Linux filesystems are being wiped. Some users are using EXT4, others are using BTRFS, and other are using UFS, etc. Perhaps Windows only wipes BTRFS or something.

Anyway, this proves that Microsoft is either incompetent or malicious (probably both). After all, the only thing Microsoft has to do to save one’s GNU/Linux partitions is nothing. Literally, they don’t have to do anything. If they leave the partition alone, nothing bad will happen. The fact that they are zapping GNU/Linux partitions away shows that something is really wrong with their development strategy.

That, or the devs feel they aren’t getting paid enough, and this is their way of taking revenge.:flower:

On my test PC I have 4 drives with several partitions and lots of different OS systems and versions.

Regarding Linux I have 1 boot partition that is connected to one Linux installation, while the other Linux installations have their boot directory included in the root partition as only the extra partition is used for booting via grub. As a side note I’m only using ext4 for Linux.

Recently I noticed that my boot partition was missing from my partition table and I think I noticed it after I was upgrading one of my Windows Insider installations to build 14393. Fortunately I could simply recreate the partition that appeared as free space with gparted and everything was still there.

Strange thing is that when I updated my two regular Windows 10 installations on that machine (32 and 64 bit) to the latest release, nothing happened to this boot partition. Also none of the other partitions was affected, regardless whether it is used for FreeDOS, Windows (98, 2000, 2XP, 27, 28.1 or 210), Linux (6 installations), BSD, OS X, VMWare ESXi or my two data partitions.

I spoke too soon. Rebooted the other day and it has totally wiped grub from the system.

[QUOTE=slayerking;2779634]I spoke too soon. Rebooted the other day and it has totally wiped grub from the system.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if it’ll do that every time a major update happens?

[QUOTE=Albert;2779643]Do you know if it’ll do that every time a major update happens?[/QUOTE]
When they do the full updates like the anniversary yes it should do that (well it shouldn’t but M$ can’t help themselves). But I reinstalled grub after the update and it was fine, But after a reboot not long ago grub was totally gone, checked in the efi partition and no sign of grub checked with easyuefi and same thing it was gone. W10 is pissing me off more and more every day.