Window XP Pro Installing problem (Fat32)

vbimport

I have just bought a new hard drive (maxtor 40GB)

When it was done on analysing my computer there are 2 thingy to chose from: I think it was NTSF and NTSF (quick).

The problem that i have is that it wont give a the option of FAT32 (something like that). At the beging i thought it was the same but later on it stoped me form installing the window, both NTSF and NTSF (quick) .

Can anyone tell me how can i get the option of picking FAT32 ( something like that)? :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thankz for spending you time reading. :slight_smile:

XP Pro wont let you format in fat32
Only XP Home will let you do that
only way to get XP Pro on Fat32 is to format the hdd first, then install SP from it, and tell it to leave the partition alone.

good luck

Que ? I always thought you could install XP Pro on either fat32 or ntfs partitions.
You just need to kill all partitions on the harddrive when your in the setup menu of your xp cd-rom. Then create new partitions and make them either ntfs or fat32.

Mind you that fat32 renders all security enhancements inside windows xp useless

Windows 2000 and XP won’t let you format partitions over a fixed size (i don’t remember how much) in FAT32. But you can do it with another program (MS’ fdisk and format will be enough for the job) and then install Windows on this partition.

FAT32 partition can only be < 32 GB

my XP partition is 10 gig i think…and it let my choose 4 options

-fat32
-fat32 quick
-ntfs
-ntfs quick

before i reduced this partition 10 gig…i could install it on the full hdd of 40 gig.

Windows 2000 and XP won’t let you format partitions over a fixed size (i don’t remember how much) in FAT32. But you can do it with another program (MS’ fdisk and format will be enough for the job) and then install Windows on this partition.

don’t you mean it doesn’t allow to use files on it bigger then 4 gig on fat32?

Both : WinXP’s installer doesn’t allow you to format partitions bigger than 32 GB in FAT32, even if it is possible. (Theorically, the maximum FAT32 partition size is 2TB) I don’t know why they do that, maybe to promote NTFS ?

And yes the maximum file size is 4GB on a FAT32 partition.

@babychar2002 :

Righto … you have a 40 gig maxtor. Just use a standard bootdisk and install away. For instance : get the Windows 95 ms-dos bootfloppy.

Procedure for Fat

Step 1
Make sure your bios settings are correct for the boot procedure :
1 : Floppy Disk drive
2 : CD-rom
3 : harddisk

Step 2
Boot from the floppy disk. Run fdisk. Type Y for enhanced Fat32 support.
Create a nice single 40 gig fat32 partition and wait
Make partition active and wait (do NOT forget this)
Remove floppy disk
Reboot with cdrom of Windows XP Pro
install XP

Procedure for NTFS
Step 1
Make sure your bios settings are correct for the boot procedure :
1 : Floppy Disk drive
2 : CD-rom
3 : harddisk

Step 2
Reboot with cdrom of Windows XP Pro
follow instructions and remove every damn partition on your maxtor disk
create nice ntfs partition. don’t worry about that 8 megs left.
install XP

Thankz for all your info. is has been very useful to me.

I can still install my Windows XP Pro by installing Windows 98 first and pop in the Windows XP Pro For an Up-Grade. but the total of of that would take me a total of an hour and half.

Mr. Belvedere, I wanta ask you how mush time will the win 95 or 98 ms-dos floopy Create a nice single 40 gig fat32 partition?

Yes, if FAT32 was previously present, then XP will present 4 options of format, NTFS, NTFS (Quick format), FAT32, FAT32 (Quick Format).

Because fdisk checks every created partition and then checks it again when you activate it , this can take up to 5 minutes.

I can recommend using Partition Magic for this though , because you can also modify the sector sizes with it. This can be beneficial for the throughput of the harddisk , depending what kind of files you store on your harddisk.