Windata DVD+R Bad burn on first disc out of package

vbimport

I used a Samsung slim external DVD writer TSSTcorp CDDVDW SE-S084C and burned approx 4.2 GB on a 4.65 GB windata disc at 8X. The Windata disc had an obviously fake MID of MCC 004.

I used Nero essentials 9 which came bundled with the drive. Nero reported a bad file during verification. The data was all flv files. The bad file would play part way through then my viewer (VLC) reported it could no longer read the format.

Here is a Nere disc speed scanDisc picture. Nero wont let me do disc quality:(

I just bought the Samsung drive and got the Discs for free from a friend and this was my first burn and I got burned:(

BTW does anyone know of a good free file compare program?
I was just looking at http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-comparison-utility.htm and they recommend http://winmerge.org/ which is open source (I like open source stuff). Has anyone used this or have other suggestions.

Moved to the main Blank Media forum, as the Test Results forums are for test results only, not discussion. So you’re more likely to get help/advice in here. :wink:

I have the same drive, and it’s pretty tolerant of media quality I’ve found (both reading and burning). Looks like those Windata discs aren’t good, but I think you already know that by now. :wink:

No idea about file compare programs I’m afraid, though I’m sure one or two others will.

Thanks for the help. I am going to try a few more Windata discs and I am going to microcenter to see if they have any of the good verbatims left. After the good verbies are gone I wont know what to buy as I cannot do mail order.

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2516845]Thanks for the help. I am going to try a few more Windata discs and I am going to microcenter to see if they have any of the good verbatims left. After the good verbies are gone I wont know what to buy as I cannot do mail order.[/QUOTE]

No problem :slight_smile:

After the good Verbies are gone, you can always still look for any media that’s Made in Japan. That said, when you’re next out media-shopping, and you see a particularly good deal on Verbies, try and get a small stash together if your budget will allow. I built up a stash of MCC004 (Verbie 16x +R) and now have enough to last me a little while if I’m careful with them. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2516845]Thanks for the help. I am going to try a few more Windata discs and I am going to microcenter to see if they have any of the good verbatims left. After the good verbies are gone I wont know what to buy as I cannot do mail order.[/QUOTE]

In terms of DVD+R, I cannot recommend most of the others right now (once the “good” Verbatims are gone): They have been inconsistent. And with the Sony MIDs also in limbo and the Taiyo Yuden MIDs not available in stores, the only satisfactory replacement in my experience is RITEK F16.

As for DVD-R, the CMC MAG AM3 worked out well - but only under certain brands and certain lines. (In other words, don’t buy Memowrecks for this MID.)

@Klawdek - where are you located?

I use Windata and they worked fine for me both SL and DL. I do get couple blanks that are bad but the burner tells me or ejects its if it was or flashes the light inconsistently. But Windata for the price you can’t go wrong at this point in time. I use DVD+R DL, DVD+R windata media. But I do have liteon ihas424 drive though. The media inexpensive and to me worth using I haven’t had any problem with SL and DL burns but I tend to keep the burns on either media to 2-2.4x speed even thought you can burn them to half the rated media speed. But the lower speed hasn’t hampered me from using and burning and watching the burned media without problem. Only thing being I had to make sure my drive bootype to DVD-ROM for +R windata media.

Slimtype dvd burners are still a [B][B]bad choice[/B][/B]!

They are slow, unreliable and scanning is impossible too in most of all cases.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2516931]the Taiyo Yuden MIDs not available in stores[/QUOTE]JVC.
Although they aren’t easy to find and most stores don’t stock them.

Slimtype burners are quite limited when it comes to speed. However, recent Samsung and LiteOn do scan, and my Samsung’s scans are comparable to what my LiteOns report.

Always selecting the slowest burn speed may not be a good idea. As 16x+ burners and discs are not intended for 2.4x burning, it will usually perform badly.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2517066]JVC.
Although they aren’t easy to find and most stores don’t stock them.[/quote]

Yep. This is why I asked where the OP is located, as Verbatim TYs may also be a choice. :slight_smile:

Always selecting the slowest burn speed may not be a good idea. As 16x+ burners and discs are not intended for 2.4x burning, it will usually perform badly.

Agree once again for the most part…although on really horrendous discs lowering the burn speed might work (if you’re lucky ;)).

[QUOTE=Arachne;2516935]@[B]Klawdek[/B] - where are you located?[/QUOTE]

I am in Chicago.

I did a second burn and that disc passed Nero’s verification (though back in '05 with whatever version of Nero I had back then Nero would pass discs on verification and the discs would sometimes be so bad they couldn’t be read. I hope Nero has fixed the problem by now)

Here is a pic of the ScanDisc:

That was the same burner and discs. Also the same exact files except fewer of them. (I heard somewhere that fewer files are better)

I notice 2 bad sectors at the end. I hope those are not data sectors.

Is there a thing about the last sectors more likely to go bad?

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2517093]That was the same burner and discs. Also the same exact files except fewer of them. (I heard somewhere that fewer files are better)

I notice 2 bad sectors at the end. I hope those are not data sectors.

Is there a thing about the last sectors more likely to go bad?[/QUOTE]

I very rarely burn a disc to capacity either, as from what I’ve seen from time to time, the very edge of the disc is the first bit to go if the disc deteriorates (not the case 100% of the time, but better safe than sorry ;)).

I personally wouldn’t trust a disc with any bad sectors. Period. :wink:

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2516775]I just bought the Samsung drive and got the Discs for free from a friend and this was my first burn and I got burned:(

BTW does anyone know of a good free file compare program?
I was just looking at http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-comparison-utility.htm and they recommend http://winmerge.org/ which is open source (I like open source stuff). Has anyone used this or have other suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Copy/Paste the files from the dvd to your hard drive, you probably should get an error in the files that are corrupted.

Actually you can modify HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nero\Nero 9\Nero Toolkit\Nero DiscSpeed\CD Quality\Blocked key to enable Samsung scanning in Nero DiscSpeed 5 too.

[QUOTE=vroom;2517098]Copy/Paste the files from the dvd to your hard drive, you probably should get an error in the files that are corrupted.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of doing that. I am also looking for a file compare program.

I found this article:

That recommends winmerg
http://winmerge.org/

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2517116]Actually you can modify HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nero\Nero 9\Nero Toolkit\Nero DiscSpeed\CD Quality\Blocked key to enable Samsung scanning in Nero DiscSpeed 5 too.[/QUOTE]

I do not understand why a registry key would need to be changed?

[QUOTE=Klawdek;2519683]I do not understand why a registry key would need to be changed?[/QUOTE] If you don’t change the registry key, Nero DiscSpeed (and Nero CD-DVD Speed) will refuse to quality scan using a Samsung drive, even if the drive is physically able to perform quality scanning.