WinAmp question

Is there a way to edit cd info on personal cds made without it changing the info (artist, year, title of cd) for the entire cd?

Thanks,
Wyman

This is a good question for our Audio forum smileychgo, so I’m moving it in there. I’ll leave a redirect in the Newbie forum.

I’m not really sure what you mean as CDs only contain (optional) cd text. Just rip it w/ Winamp into MP3 and then edit the ID3 tags to whatever you want.

Yes you can edit the ID3 tags(Metadata)…Not sure about WinAmp, but foobar2k, MP3tag, come to mind…At least that’s what I mainly use…IOW, what I [I]prefer[/I] that is!..:wink:

So I guess you can’t edit the CD info as the disc is playing? Maybe that’s what the problem is. I didn’t think I’d have to rip the disc first.

[QUOTE=smileychgo;2559070]So I guess you can’t edit the CD info as the disc is playing? Maybe that’s what the problem is. I didn’t think I’d have to rip the disc first.[/QUOTE]

What do you declare as “CD info”?
Audio on a CD is burnt to it, and cannot be altered “on the fly”.

[QUOTE=smileychgo;2559070]So I guess you can’t edit the CD info as the disc is playing? Maybe that’s what the problem is. I didn’t think I’d have to rip the disc first.[/QUOTE]

No the CD Text is in the subchannel and that’s what the player is displaying. I am not aware of any players that let you change the display text and as Chef said it’s “read only” you can’t edit it.

Yes in order to edit it you need to rip the disc, as to change what the player is displaying, not that I know of but it would be rather pointless as the actual disc’s data would not be changed.

Commercially manufactured CDs with CD Text are rare. So I guess, most CD information shown in player software like Winamp is retrieved from external databases like CDDB or FreeDB or similar. This information should be editable locally.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2559184]Commercially manufactured CDs with CD Text are rare. So I guess, most CD information shown in player software like Winamp is retrieved from external databases like CDDB or FreeDB or similar. This information should be editable locally.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Quite true. But since you can’t ‘tag’ a CD you’ll need to rip the CD to a format such as MP3 or FLAC or AAC or something else that does support tags.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2559264]Quite true. But since you can’t ‘tag’ a CD you’ll need to rip the CD to a format such as MP3 or FLAC or AAC or something else that does support tags.[/QUOTE]No need for ripping. Insert an Audio CD into your drive and start Windows Media Player. It will then try to retrieve the CD information from the Internet.
This information is stored locally and of course it is editable.

Michael

Guys/gals, I think we can pretty much agree that, yes you can edit tags and yes you can edit retrieved [B]CD info[/B] from the internet…But, correct me if I’m wrong, the OP’s main concern/question is/was,
" So I guess you can’t edit the CD info as the disc is [B]playing[/B]?"…

And as our friend chef already answered, it “cannot be altered [B]on the fly[/B]”…

[QUOTE=mciahel;2559184]Commercially manufactured CDs with CD Text are rare. So I guess, most CD information shown in player software like Winamp is retrieved from external databases like CDDB or FreeDB or similar. This information should be editable locally.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I disagree (I still buy CDs) and most of my CDs do have CD Text…even ones you wouldn’t think would (e.g. CDS-200). Maybe years ago CD Text wasn’t used much but today since many players support it they do…at least the ones made in Japan and US (that may vary from country to country).

Also some burning apps like iTunes always write CD Text if you want it to or not and since most writers support it today it gets written. But you’re right he may not be talking about CD Text since it’s a burned disc, that varies on what app he burned it with.