Winamp 5.x slow load time on intel dual core :(

There was a guy on the Winamp forum having an issue with slow load times and Vista, and now I’m having it, too…

I am having this same problem with my Windows XP system, and after browsing 4 pages of threads on the Winamp forum, so far he is the only one having the same problem. So maybe you people here can help me.

Even though he is on Vista and I am on XP SP2, we both have the same processor family… Core2Duo (his is a T7250 and I am a T5300).

My computer is less than a month old and was preinstalled with XP SP2 from HP/Compaq. I have another AMD Turion64 system, also preinstalled OS from HP/Compaq, and that one is only two months old.

So two new systems, both the same brand, both under two months old, both factory installed OS, both have Spybot from day one.

Winamp 5.5 works fine and loads up quickly on the AMD Turion64 computer. On the Core2Duo computer, Winamp 5.5 takes a LONG time to start up. Player displays on the screen, but remains frozen. If loading via an associated file (song, video, etc.), after a minute or so, the file will begin to play, but the player’s interface will remain frozen for another couple minutes. Eventually it will unclog,and you can use the player normally. Once it is unclogged, you can load more files at a normal speed and even change songs mid-play, and things work fast and flawlessly. The problem is only on loading the program.

The minute you close Winamp and try to reopen it, the problem occurs again. This happens even if you simply run Winamp without using an associated file (opening from start menu).

I’ve done a complete, clean uninstall and re-install twice now, and the problem remains the same.

Everything on the Core2Duo system works fine except for Winamp.

Is this a problem with Core2Duo processors or with Nullsoft’s computer coding ethics? lol

I even removed Winamp fully, reinstalled 5.5, over and over… sam result. Then installed 5.32. Same result.

Shut down every single process I could, leaving it running bare bones. Try to run Winamp, and load time is still taking way too long.

In task manager, CPU peaked at 49, and memory usage peaked at ~63,000, and then suddenly it starts working normal, and CPU drops down to 00 and memory to ~9,150.

All this is with NO song playing, just loading Winamp from the start menu icon.

NOW IN CONTRAST…

On yet a third other system (my AMD Sempron processor w/512 MB of memory, an older system), the CPU shoots to 98 (understandably), but the memory useage peaks at only ~35,000 while Winamp loads, and that only for a moment, before dropping down again. Wimamp takes about 3-5 seconds to load on this older system, whereas the newer dual core intel system it takes minutes to load.

The dual core system has 2 Gigabytes of memory, so my hardware isn’t underpar. This problem has nothing to do with the media files, since this problem occurs even when you try to load Winamp without playing anything.

Both the AMD Notebook and the older AMD Sempron Desktop work fine with Winamp. It’s this Core2Duo system that is having this problem. The Sempron desktop also has the same OS as the other two (Windows XP SP2), and has had anuncountable number of odd applications installed on it over the last couple years.

So what is it about my Core2Duo notebook, only a month or so old, that is causing this issue? It makes no sense I really don’t want to switch to WMP, but what choice do I have?

This sucks. I really like the interface of Winamp, and the crossfade feature and playlist input, as well as the particular skin I’ve been using for the past three years (and yes, this problem is happening on barebones skineless as well as skinned).

Maybe this forum can help. Or maybe Nullsoft engineers can pull rears out of arses and write better code? Anyone else having these issues with rediculously slow load times?

Winamp 5.5 works fine and loads up quickly on the AMD Turion64 computer. On the Core2Duo computer, Winamp 5.5 takes a LONG time to start up. Player displays on the screen, but remains frozen. If loading via an associated file (song, video, etc.), after a minute or so, the file will begin to play, but the player’s interface will remain frozen for another couple minutes. Eventually it will unclog,and you can use the player normally. Once it is unclogged, you can load more files at a normal speed and even change songs mid-play, and things work fast and flawlessly. The problem is only on loading the program…

Maybe this forum can help. Or maybe Nullsoft engineers can pull rears out of arses and write better code? Anyone else having these issues with rediculously slow load times?..

Sounds like [I]you [/I]have a problem, not WinAmp. Do you have some sort of ‘protection’ (like AV or anti-ad) software running? Compare the processes running on the machines in question, you may find an answer.

Actually you are WRONG! :slight_smile:

I tried a recursive version of Winamp 5… I went back to 5.0 and it worked flawlessly. I then reinstalled up three more subversions. The highest I could go was 5.24. Anything higher has the problems described above.

Something added in the later versions interferes with Intel Dual Core processors, especially the Core2. I’ve found this out from other sources now. Nobody is sure what it is, but whatever it is, it is not present in 5.24 or earlier. Since it essentially functions the same as the newer versions, I will stick with that until Nullsoft pulls their heads outta their rears and does more research. Instead of releasing buggy products like MS.

As far as how clean my box is, I have run AV and spybot since day one. This notebook is only (now) three months old. And I don’t surf many places. My computer is tidy and virus/spyware free. Which I think I made clear in my first post, but thanks for playing :slight_smile:

As far as the processes, they are identical. The computers are loaded with very similar items, and I’m pretty sure I covered that in the above post. I closed down all but essential processes. It’s Winamp’s newer version, not my computer. Not XP, either.

So for those having problems, go to a site like Olderversion and find Winamp 5.24 and you should be fine. it must have less bad code in it.

just from reading the thread title i was going to suggest dropping back versions (as you did anyway) but even to winamp 2.95rc. in my opinion winamp has been going steadily downhill since then.

i had similar issues with skipping stuttering playback on an old system, as in i went through basically the entire history of winamp versions to find the best one. 2.95rc was it, works like a charm. 5.094 was one of the better of the 5.x’s, as was 5.21 i think.

but try 2.95, it’s rock solid. what i use now.

by the way i find “winamp heaven” is best for older versions of winamp.

i’m building a new PC with a intel core2duo as an upgrade in a few weeks (currently running P3 950Mhz lol), i was a bit worried about a few random bugs i heard about such as this, fingers crossed though.