WinAmp 5 , Alpha 1 is out

vbimport

Screenshot :

Note: Alpha is pre-beta meaning there may be major bugs or problems with this. We were able to install and run it without any major problems (see screenshot)

Winamp is an audio player that can handle audio CDs, MP3 audio files, and streaming audio broadcasts. It combines extensive functionality with an intuitive interface. Winamp features a playlist editor and a 10-band graphic equalizer with user-definable presets that can automatically load specific files. It also includes Windows Media Technology 4.0 input/output support and the industry-standard Fraunhofer MP3 decoder. This download no longer includes VIS/DSP plug-ins; you can download them separately.

Winamp 3 plays MPEG Layer 2 (MP2) and Layer 3 (MP3) audio streams and Windows Media Audio (WMA), and combines extensive functionality with an intuitive interface. Winamp 3 revamps the entire idea of a skinning system by allowing developers to add entirely brand-new functionality within their own skins.

You can find a download link here at MajorGeeks.

Looks just like WinAmp 2.x.
But, what happends to version 3.x and 4.x? Did I miss something? :confused:

It’s called 5 because 2+3=5 :slight_smile:
Notice that in the changelog they don’t have Winamp 3, and that means that even Nullsoft thinks 3.x sucks llama balls… :slight_smile:

I’ll stick to 2.95 cause why would I upgrade to 5?

I’m still using 2.80 winamp, 3.x is noticeably slower and the “new” skinning capabilities are next to useless for me, its 90% of the time minimized anyway, so who cares…

Originally posted by Airhead
[B]It’s called 5 because 2+3=5 :slight_smile:
Notice that in the changelog they don’t have Winamp 3, and that means that even Nullsoft thinks 3.x sucks llama balls… :slight_smile:

I’ll stick to 2.95 cause why would I upgrade to 5? [/B]

What, that`s a strange way to give it version numbers!
This means that the next major update-version will be WinAMP X, I guess! 2+3+5=10 :LOL:

Sure hope it is better that WinAmp3, that was the latest version I used before I converted to foobar2000.
That version really “Sucks llama balls…” :Z

Anything above Winamp 2.8x takes horribly slow to load. The 3.x has a nice advantage with all the built in codecs for movies but still, its very very poor programming to have a simple application like that start after 3-4sec of wait time on a top machine and 7-8sec wait time on a slightly older machine.

THATS JUST RIDICULOUS :eek:

simple? pfft - you program it :wink:

2 sec wait time on my 2 yr old pc.

Originally posted by ckin2001
2 sec wait time on my 2 yr old pc.

No way. My sisters recently built 1500XP takes like5sec and my 3ghz P4 takes like 3sec. Are you actually timing it with anything, or roughly guessing. What machine did youuse that it took so quickly?

Originally posted by ckin2001
simple? pfft - you program it :wink:

By simple I mean its not a standard window andthey killed it with options like transparency which make it way more of a load when starting. The proof is in ver2 which starts instananously upon mouse click. Also loading all those codec might be a heavy load but not as bad as it is now. I am kinda dissapointed in new Winamp, I think it used to be better.

you can turn transparency off. you can choose a very simple skin, to decrease loadtime. as you addressed the poor programming, im not sure what a standard window has to do with it.

i gave up on it because the video compatibility was better in 2.9, however. still prefer xmms to both :wink:

Where do I turn off transparency (something I never use) and what skin makes load time faster?

im not sure if transparency is an option for the winamp in general, or skin specific.