Win98 Back?

Hi …

I have installed Win-xp on my old desktop ( used to have Win 98 SE ),

now the PC is very slow since it has 128 RAM only .

I want to install Win 98 SE again but the problem is that my Win 98 Cd is not

bootable, i dont have an emergency Win 98 floppy, i have tried to creat a

bootable cd but the burning software is asking for image file !!!

So, how can install win 98 SE again .

Thanks …

Go into BIOS and set the CD drive as the first boot device; inset Win 98 disc reboot and install.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;2308730]Go into BIOS and set the CD drive as the first boot device; inset Win 98 disc reboot and install.[/QUOTE]

Even if i choose the CD Rom device, the cd is not Bootable !!

your not going to boot the disk just install the OS; you may need to erase you HDD first as Windows may not want to install over a existing OS.

If you have a floppy drive make a boot disc by putting a floppy in then right clicking the A: drive and selecting format and then tick the box that says boot disc.
Once you have that, boot from the floppy boot disc (have win98 cd in cdrom)then when the system is up and cursor flashing, type the letter of your cdrom say D like this D:\setup.exe again where D: is the letter of your cdrom.
To see what letter your cdrom is type dir and hit enter it will list your drives replace the D in the line i gave you with the one that says it has win 98 in it.[QUOTE=CCRomeo;2308746]your not going to boot the disk just install the OS; you may need to erase you HDD first as Windows may not want to install over a existing OS.[/QUOTE]
You don’t get it, Win98 cd’s (most of them) are not bootable you can not boot from them.

A Win98 boot disk will be needed to install Win98, and I don’t think a Win98 boot disk can not be created from WinXP. Do a Google search for “Win98 boot disk” to find where files required to make a Win98 boot disk may be downloaded to make the boot floppy. Then boot to the Win98 boot floppy and run Setup from the Win98 CD. You could just make a Win98 boot floppy on another PC running Win98 if available, but it’s probably easier to just download files and make your own.

FYI you may also create a boot CD with Win98 using Nero or other program to create a boot CD by selecting files on the Win98 CD (or copy them to a hard drive folder if you only have 1 CD drive), and select the Win98 boot floppy for the DOS source when prompted by Nero. Note resulting CD will boot as A drive, and you’ll need to type “X:” where “X” is letter for CD drive and press “Enter.” Then just type “Setup” and press “Enter” to run Win98 Install.

You might try the one from this site:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

I have a CD Windows 98 start up disc.I can’t remember exactly how I made it.It was quite a while back.
I think I made an image of the floppy created by Windows 98 from the CP/Add/Remove/Startup.Then burned that to a CD.

I agree with CCRomeo you are probably going to need to Format your HDD which will erase it before installing Windows 98 on it.
You might want to buy a second HDD & install Windows 98 on it.
This way you can keep the XP at least till you get Windows 98 on the second HDD.
Then make that one your Master/primary/active partition.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2308811]A Win98 boot disk will be needed to install Win98, and I don’t think a Win98 boot disk can not be created from WinXP. Do a Google search for “Win98 boot disk” to find where files required to make a Win98 boot disk may be downloaded to make the boot floppy. Then boot to the Win98 boot floppy and run Setup from the Win98 CD. You could just make a Win98 boot floppy on another PC running Win98 if available, but it’s probably easier to just download files and make your own.

FYI you may also create a boot CD with Win98 using Nero or other program to create a boot CD by selecting files on the Win98 CD (or copy them to a hard drive folder if you only have 1 CD drive), and select the Win98 boot floppy for the DOS source when prompted by Nero. Note resulting CD will boot as A drive, and you’ll need to type “X:” where “X” is letter for CD drive and press “Enter.” Then just type “Setup” and press “Enter” to run Win98 Install.[/QUOTE]A boot floppy is a boot floppy it doesn’t matter if Xp or 98 makes it that’s why its called an MS-DOS boot disc :wink:

And yes he will need to format his HDD to get rid of xp

@cholla
I was going to link to bootdisc.com but I tried a few links first and they were dead or went to another site that had nothing to do with bootdiscs

CCRomeo - slayerking - bevils1 - cholla

Thanks for the reply. …

ill try and tell you what happens …

This is the Windows 98 OEM download link from the site.
ftp://infas.lzuu.lt/Boot_disk/win98se/boot98se.exe
I just did a test download & it downloaded fine.
I scaned it with AVG & it said no infection.
I did the direct download link with “copy shortcut”.
I usually don’t post direct downloads because I prefer to have people go to a site & select the download themselves.
You can test it if you like.

It’s his lucky day I have a win 98 cd thats bootable if he wants the bootable section he can have it

It matters if Xp or 98 makes boot disk if the DOS version is not Win98 DOS, and Win98 setup will give “Incorrect DOS version” if it’s not Win98 DOS.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2308836]It matters if Xp or 98 makes boot disk if the DOS version is not Win98 DOS, and Win98 setup will give “Incorrect DOS version” if it’s not Win98 DOS.[/QUOTE]No it doesn’t, I’ve made plenty of DOS boot discs in XP and used them to boot and install win98.

I never had an original Windows 98 CD only the Ghost restore disc that came with the computer.
Is the boot disc the same as the start up disc created from CP/ add/remove /start up ?
I do have a Windows ME installation disc .If my memory is OK I think it self boots to do the install.

nah its a real win98se cd, Some later versions of 98 got the bootable image file on the cd, The rest need to be launched from a dos prompt. Your disc probably has the same bootable “Microsoft Corporation.img” file on it you can’t see it on the cd you need to use a program like isobuster to get to it.

Yeah the ME disc would be bootable

I only have the free version of ISOBuster but I will dig up the restore disc & have a look at it.
I still use Windows 98se on my old computer.I had ME on it for a while but went back to 98 with some files borrowed from ME.
My newer computer has Vista at least for now but I’m giving Windows 7 some consideration.

[QUOTE=slayerking;2308766]
You don’t get it, Win98 cd’s (most of them) are not bootable you can not boot from them.[/QUOTE]:confused: I am really surprised.
Both Win98 CDs I owned were bootable. Win98 Gold and Win98SE.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2308970]:confused: I am really surprised.
Both Win98 CDs I owned were bootable. Win98 Gold and Win98SE.

Michael[/QUOTE]There is a reason they came with boot floppy discs :wink:

[QUOTE=slayerking;2309157]There is a reason they came with boot floppy discs ;)[/QUOTE]Mine didn’t. :slight_smile:

You could try the Nlite prog, it will make a bootable cd iso image from your actual one (you can even slipstream updates and drivers, if you have them). Then, burn it very slow-speed to a new cd - BurnImage is free and flawless.
Tell us if you succeed, or not.
P.