Win8-8.1

vbimport

I have Win8 in my computer, 1tb HD, i7 Intel, 8G ram, I am

considering upgrading to 8.1, before I do, I thought Id throw

it out to the pros. Bad or good idea, if so is there a

compatibilty app that should be downloaded?

Thanks in advance,     
                  Jim Durkin

I’d counsel “Look at the drivers for your computer’s systems. If you only see Sep-2013 drivers, you might consider waiting a bit longer.”

We’ve done three kinds of Win8.1 installs: (1) the Upgrade to a Working Machine, (2) a fresh clean Win 8.0 reload then immediate 8.1 update, and (3) a pure 8.1 install.

The Pure 8.1 install has been flakey because of driver conflicts. I don’t know if one driver is bad (LAN, video, audio) or if it’s the confluence of all of them. But all of these drivers are Sep-2013, and many motherboard makers are only now delivering ‘drivers version 2’.

Because just about every motherboard maker and so many video cards have released Specific-to-W8.1 drivers, we knew there were significant changes. And the likelihood of getting all of those to work perfectly, the first time, is inversely proportional to the vast number of drivers released.

Our 8.0-to-8.1 Working Upgrade is the least flakey of all, by the way. And the most junked-up and has the most double-entry’d file-manager labels. A relatively typical Microsoft Upgrade experience.

The Clean 8.0-to-8.1 uses the 8.1 drivers but we don’t have nearly the flakey behavior on those units as we do the Full Clean W8.1 Install units. No idea why - same motherboards, same generation of parts, etc.

Luck o’ the draw. Our 8.0 machines were never as flakey. I will be looking forward to Clean Installs soon, though, because I simply hate the junked-up piles of files that Microsoft leaves behind. Who knows what the registry really looks like!

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2711633]I’d counsel “Look at the drivers for your computer’s systems. If you only see Sep-2013 drivers, you might consider waiting a bit longer.”

We’ve done three kinds of Win8.1 installs: (1) the Upgrade to a Working Machine, (2) a fresh clean Win 8.0 reload then immediate 8.1 update, and (3) a pure 8.1 install.

The Pure 8.1 install has been flakey because of driver conflicts. I don’t know if one driver is bad (LAN, video, audio) or if it’s the confluence of all of them. But all of these drivers are Sep-2013, and many motherboard makers are only now delivering ‘drivers version 2’.

Because just about every motherboard maker and so many video cards have released Specific-to-W8.1 drivers, we knew there were significant changes. And the likelihood of getting all of those to work perfectly, the first time, is inversely proportional to the vast number of drivers released.

Our 8.0-to-8.1 Working Upgrade is the least flakey of all, by the way. And the most junked-up and has the most double-entry’d file-manager labels. A relatively typical Microsoft Upgrade experience.

The Clean 8.0-to-8.1 uses the 8.1 drivers but we don’t have nearly the flakey behavior on those units as we do the Full Clean W8.1 Install units. No idea why - same motherboards, same generation of parts, etc.

Luck o’ the draw. Our 8.0 machines were never as flakey. I will be looking forward to Clean Installs soon, though, because I simply hate the junked-up piles of files that Microsoft leaves behind. Who knows what the registry really looks like![/QUOTE]
How do I do a Full Clean install, never tried before? Thanks.

A full, clean W8.1 install requires a full version of W8.1, probably on DVD. I also have my computer’s driver-set handy (for a notebook or brand-name computer; or for my motherboard and video-card), using the latest Win8.1 drivers.

IF the Win8.1 activation occurs, this means the 8.1 generic LAN drivers worked. And if your video appears satisfactory, and if you’ve got audio tones thru your speakers, I might stall the installation of the computer/motherboard drivers for a while until their second versions arrived. See how the ‘generic’ drivers work for your computer, and wait for another month or so.

RealTek has started delivering their 2nd version of their older LAN and Audio chipsets but only MSI has created Version 2 driver-sets for their motherboards. Other motherboard makers (ASUS, ASROCK, Gigabyte) should have their updated ones in a few weeks.

You’ll also be facing a choice to set up an Outlook.COM account (which links you to the Windows Store, also known as “Ballmer’s Wallet”) during the Win8.1 install process. There is a way to avoid this but this is hidden under the “Create a new account” option and then choosing “Continue with local account”.

I can google “Win8.1 install with Local Account” for precise instructions.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2711656]A full, clean W8.1 install requires a full version of W8.1, probably on DVD. I also have my computer’s driver-set handy (for a notebook or brand-name computer; or for my motherboard and video-card), using the latest Win8.1 drivers.

IF the Win8.1 activation occurs, this means the 8.1 generic LAN drivers worked. And if your video appears satisfactory, and if you’ve got audio tones thru your speakers, I might stall the installation of the computer/motherboard drivers for a while until their second versions arrived. See how the ‘generic’ drivers work for your computer, and wait for another month or so.

RealTek has started delivering their 2nd version of their older LAN and Audio chipsets but only MSI has created Version 2 driver-sets for their motherboards. Other motherboard makers (ASUS, ASROCK, Gigabyte) should have their updated ones in a few weeks.

You’ll also be facing a choice to set up an Outlook.COM account (which links you to the Windows Store, also known as “Ballmer’s Wallet”) during the Win8.1 install process. There is a way to avoid this but this is hidden under the “Create a new account” option and then choosing “Continue with local account”.

I can google “Win8.1 install with Local Account” for precise instructions.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, very helpful, Jim.

I should have mentioned that if you’ve got Win8.0 installed and are doing the Download-the-Upgrade Route, then you’ve already got a Microsoft email account, already tied into the Windows Store.