Win7 Resolution Resize Problem

vbimport

Hello,
Just installed win7 with latest drivers for my VGA.
I have 22" monitor so my natural resolution is 1680x1050.

Problem is when i run any game that i set to use lower resolution, i have black bars to both sides of screen, meaning my monitor doesn’t change resolution.
I tried with monitor driver, and without him (default win7 driver), same thing.

Searched over net and saw that im not the only one who’s got this problem.
I didnt had this problem with Vista.

If anyone have any suggestion, please…Thanks

[QUOTE=miki_pirke;2467147]Hello,
Just installed win7 with latest drivers for my VGA.
I have 22" monitor so my natural resolution is 1680x1050.

Problem is when i run any game that i set to use lower resolution, i have black bars to both sides of screen, meaning my monitor doesn’t change resolution.
I tried with monitor driver, and without him (default win7 driver), same thing.

Searched over net and saw that im not the only one who’s got this problem.
I didnt had this problem with Vista.

If anyone have any suggestion, please…Thanks[/QUOTE]

What kinda GPU are you running? That would determine what drivers from Nvidia or Ati or intel that you would download the driver software. What games are you playing that is doing this? What is the native resolution for the game and monitor? What you say can be true but without a model and type it hard to know what monitor and specs you have to know what is happening.

Gainward 8600 GTS with latest 191.07 drivers.
Samsung 2220LM 22"
Every game makes this problem.
Monitor (Desktop) resolution is 1650x1050
Im playing games in 1280x960.

When i start a game monitor should blink and change to 1280x960, but he stays in 1650x1050.

That is normal behavior. You can do one of two things.

Either play the game at your monitors native resolution, 1680x1050.

The other option is check in game options to display game in “full screen” or disable “window” mode. If it is not set to full screen, than it will only display in a window, for any resolution other than the resolution of your display. Again, this is normal behavior.

If you are playing at a lower resolution than your screen resolution for performance reasons, than it might be time to consider upgrading your video card. Scaling resolutions to full screen does not look pretty on LCD displays.

Normal behavior?
I dont call that normal.
Let me tell you something about this video card, it may be old but im running all new games allmost at max(COD6 at High), so no, its not time to upgrade, yet.
And about full screen and window mode…please, im not a beginner.

Problem is with Win7 as the thread title says, not with my game settings or my video card(maybe driver) or my LCD.

Sensitive much? I was trying to help you in my original post, I’m not inclined to do so again after your response.

If there were ever a reason to upgrade a video card, not being able to game at native resolutions would top the list. Visual settings at less than native resolutions are irrelevant.

If you want to believe that Windows 7 is your problem I won’t stop you. Revert back to Vista.

Not sensitive, just realistic.
Lets say i upgrade my video card…what about games that dont support native resolution?
That doesnt solve the problem.
And i do believe that problem is with win7, because 2 days ago and 2 years in the past everything worked just fine.
I only changed my OS not other components.
Win7 or bad driver support.

All modern games support 16:10 resolutions, it’s an industry standard, although 16:9 is becoming the trend.

Windows 7 uses an updated display model, WDDM 1.1. Therein is the difference you are now seeing, and is why I explained it is normal behavior. I suppose it is possible that ATI and Nvidia may hack their drivers to scale resolutions to “fix” this problem, if enough people bitch about it, but is it really an issue?

True about WDDM.
Funny thing is that on vista i had to use 1280x960 to fill my screen, looks like i need to use 1280x768 on win7.
But still not working for some games, they are outdated and i hope they will release driver update.

Thanks for your help.