Win7 or Win10

vbimport

Planning new build based on Broadwell E
Which OS do you recommend?
Win10 telemetry / updates — easy to shut down or have to redo with every update
P.S, pro updates can be shut down thru group policy, I think (thanks Xercus)

All advice welcome
Hardware advice also welcome but might be better in my other thread
http://club.myce.com/f187/advise-power-supply-maybe-more-required-342531/

Hope to get some info

:slight_smile:
For a new build today in the Microsoft world, the answer would probably be Windows 10. It would largely depend on how long you want to use the new build, but if that is around five years, the answer is W10. This is so because of the end of support for Windows 7 in 2020 and already in extended support.

One more vote for windows 10, much newer OS and also more optimized for new hardware.

Telemetry and various other MS "features"can be up to a point disabled.

This is probably a long term build
My concern with Win10 are the unsolicited updates which tend to break things and all the phone home (telemetry) things
Are there good ways to control those items?

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit , without a doubt

[QUOTE=gonca;2783822]This is probably a long term build
My concern with Win10 are the unsolicited updates which tend to break things and all the phone home (telemetry) things
Are there good ways to control those items?[/QUOTE]

There is a thread about that here. Page 2 and 3 should cover much of the information needed, but should you have further questions just post them there :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2783828]There is a thread about that here. Page 2 and 3 should cover much of the information needed, but should you have further questions just post them there :)[/QUOTE]

I was reading that thread when you posted
Thanks for following up though

Thanks for all the input so far

I also vote for Windows 10. That should give you a little extra room to upgrade your hardware without worrying about drivers for an aging OS.

[QUOTE=gonca;2783816]Planning new build based on Broadwell E
Which OS do you recommend?
Win10 telemetry / updates — easy to shut down or have to redo with every update
P.S, pro updates can be shut down thru group policy, I think (thanks Xercus)

All advice welcome
Hardware advice also welcome but might be better in my other thread

Hope to get some info[/QUOTE]
For New Hardware you probably want to get Windows 10 Pro that will give you the most control of it’s spying on you and use something like O&O shutup to take control of your system as well. Otherwise newer hardware won’t have much in the way of Windows 7 drivers.

Win10 it is. I’ve already gone over Xercus’ thread on Win10
Thanks everyone

[QUOTE=gonca;2783922]Win10 it is. I’ve already gone over Xercus’ thread on Win10
Thanks everyone[/QUOTE]
Make sure it is Windows 10 Pro not Home as you get less control features under Home.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2783961]Make sure it is Windows 10 Pro not Home as you get less control features under Home.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, windows has always been restrictive under the Home edition, right down to how much ram it will recognize