Win7 64 compat dvd burner w/lightscribe

vbimport

just bought a new dell with win7 -64. need an extra dvd burner- prefer lightscribe. Nightmare trying to figure out what is compatible. Anywhere w/ a list? ASUS DRW-20B1LT site says this has firmware for 64- does that mean it will work. Is the SATA- W7HP64 a very limited selection? Thanks for help:} Dee

Hi and Welcome!

any DVD writer with an interface that fits to your motherboard should do.
There must be something seriously wrong with Win7 if some standard hardware like optical drives does not work and special versions (“Win7 compatible”) are needed.

My personal favourite would be a Optiarc AD7241S. Sata interface and Lightscribe (which I personally consider a gimmick of limited use) capable.
Check www.lightscribe.com if they have a Win7/64 compatible version of the LS system software.

Michael

P.S.: I moved the thread to a place where it fits better :wink:

Hey Thanks for the good news- SATA interface decides- not OS- Win7. I know Lightscribe is cheesy but it has a real purpose for me- DVD Shows and photo disks for my grands. I went from an older IDE PC to a top level SATA and got overwhelmed shopping to replace my extra drives- HDD & DVD :eek:
One more question- might one of these PATA to SATA adapters or PATA to USB adapters work to transfer data off of 2 older drives to my new MyBooks?
Thanks again for your help, Dee :bow:

Hi,[QUOTE=deonnea;2488818]Hey Thanks for the good news-[/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

I know Lightscribe is cheesy but it has a real purpose for me- DVD Shows and photo disks for my grands.
Have you ever considered buying a printer that is able to directly print onto printable media?

One more question- might one of these PATA to SATA adapters or PATA to USB adapters work to transfer data off of 2 older drives to my new MyBooks?
You want to transfer your data from your old harddisks? I’d go for an USB/IDE/Sata adapter then. Make sure it comes with a power supply unit shipped.

Michael

OMGosh- I have an Epson 340 in the closet and it writes CDs:clap: I liked lightscribe better before but now this may be better. :bigsmile:

You want to transfer your data from your old harddisks? I’d go for an USB/IDE/Sata adapter then. Make sure it comes with a power supply unit shipped.

This is my biggest problem. I will be trying ur solution.
Thanks again:flower: Dee

and I ordered the drive u suggested- after I found good reviews for them (and I will still have the LS option :}

[QUOTE=deonnea;2488855]OMGosh- I have an Epson 340 in the closet and it writes CDs:clap: I liked lightscribe better before but now this may be better. :bigsmile:[/quote]Nice :iagree:
Directly printing (on inkjet printable media of course) has several advantages:

[ol]
[li]faster (Lightscribe takes ages)
[/li][li]nicer (colours!)
[/li][li]media is often cheaper than Lightscribe media (but you need to take the ink price into account)
[/li][li]more choice of quality media
[/li][/ol]

and I ordered the drive u suggested- after I found good reviews for them (and I will still have the LS option :}
Hopefully you’re happy with that drive :slight_smile:

Michael