okay, this is really driving me nuts. I have spent the last 2 days checking hundreds of websites but finally did not come
to a solution. I simply want a secondary ide channel to be set to UDMA2.
A friend of mine recently purchased a Benq 1620 Pro fos his computer and asked me to i nstall it. No problem, I
thought. I have built a lot of systems till now.
There a running 2 UDMA5 HDDs on first IDE channel, the Benq goes Master on second and the Toshisba SD-1612
goes slave. Both optical drives support at least UDMA2 but they only run in MDMA2. Bios only indicates them as PIO4
Here is what I did so far:
(The system: ECS K7VZA Rev 3 with 3.2 Bios, 512 MB Ram, Athlon 1.33 Ghz)
- Changed to a 0.45 metre 80pin cable (Drives a attached in correct order)
- Updating to Via 4 in 4.51
- Tried several registry hacks (MasterDeviceTimingMode, Slave DeviceTiming Mode, EnableUDMA66 or 100)
- Set to PIO then reboot then set to DMA if avalable, reboot
- Uninstall busmaster driver and reinstall
- Uninstall devices and reinstall
- Installing the Via Miniport driver with IDE Tool, trying to enable UDMA2
Results: The optical drives are listed as PIO4 Mode in bios, as DMA Mode in Windows, as MDMA2 in VIA IDE Tool
(always going back to this setting after reboot). No chance of getting this f***ing 2nd IDE Channel to run in UDMA2.
Speed tests really prove slow drives....
Is there a available Bios for this board that may fix the problem, or is there anything else I may have forgotten? Please
help saving my friend's pc, cos I already got the chainsaw in my hands.....