Win2k Update problem

vbimport

When attempting to update win2k Pro I get the Administrator Only message. I am logged in as the administrator. I added a new user with admin privs and still get the Admin Only message.

Stumped!

thanks
Phil

Is this a standalone machine or connected to a Domain Controller ?

Standalone. Personnal machine.

This is very weird , because once your a member of the administrator clan of a local machine (with local policy and local file system , and everything else local) , you should be able to do with it whatever you want.

By updating i assume you go to www.windowsupdate.com and look for the new patches and fixes there.

Yes I am talking about updating via the MS site. I have run through the troubleshooting tips reccomended by MS with no luck.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Exact message recieved:

Administrators Only

To install items from Windows Update, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FYI here is my system info:

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version 5.0.2195 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name GANDOLF
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model N0CPP010
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1002 Mhz
BIOS Version AMIBIOS ©2000 American Megatrends Inc., Version 07.00.xx
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
Locale United States
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 327,088 KB
Available Physical Memory 82,272 KB
Total Virtual Memory 1,612,792 KB
Available Virtual Memory 1,126,936 KB
Page File Space 1,285,704 KB

Thanks
Banging head on desk.

Can I reinstall Win2k without loosing any my environment setup?
Maybe that will run the gremlin out of the system.

Thanks

network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Hmm , this is actually a good one. Usualy there are no limited ActiveX controls in the Internet Explorer settings, but it could be that there are some settings in your Internet Explorer that prevent the control to be executed.

You can solve this by putting www.windowsupdate.com in the trusted area of the browser.

You can also download the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer to check your system for vulnerabilities and misconfigured settings.

Well now that was an interesting exercise.
I added the suggested link to my trusted sites as suggested. Ran update again and got the same results. Just to make sure I rebooted and ran update again…same result.
Then I Downloaded and ran the Baseline Security Analyzer and wouldn’t you know it the damn thing said I have 32 security updates missing or out dated, one of which is critical. And of course the fix is to run… you guessed it, UPDATE.

Beating head on desk harder.

I dunno either anymore. The best thing i can suggest now is that you download all the security updates seperately. It’s a very stressfull job and takes ages to perform and download , but it might be the only way.

Besides that , it’s still not very good that you are not the local administrator of your own local standalone machine. I would still recommend fixing that by reinstalling the operating system.

Another recommendation is to scan your computer to check if some malicious code might have slipped in and took over your admin accounts. You can use Grisoft’s AVG AntiVirus tool (free) and Lavasoft’s Ad Aware (also free) for that.

The last , and worse , advice i could give you is to try and hack your own system by adding more administrators or users in the administrator group.

It’s strange though … MSBSA needs admin rights to actually perform a scan , yet Windows Update disagrees you have admin rights. You do have a valid license don’t you ?

:confused:
Reinstalled Win2k as last resort and the problem persists.

clean install? reinstall over old install?

Reinstall over old install.

The first thing I would try to do is to boot off the 2K cd and try to do a repair. If that doesn’t work you need to back up what ever data you need and then do a format C.

Please don’t be offended but I would like a second opinion on that recomendation.
IS there a seasoned MSCE out there that agrees with the last reply?

Thanks.:Z

Originally posted by Phil0550
[B]Please don’t be offended but I would like a second opinion on that recomendation.

Thanks.:Z [/B]

Don’t put that much faith in Minesweeper Consultant Solitaire Experts :slight_smile:

I second the recommendation , but it’s your system of course. Do with it what you wish.

It might be faster to email or phone microsoft

Originally posted by Phil0550
[B]Please don’t be offended but I would like a second opinion on that recomendation.

Thanks.:Z [/B]

M$ Owns you!!!

Don’t put that much faith in Minesweeper Consultant Solitaire Experts

hehe exactly right

if you dont have administrator access to your machine, and you are the lone user, i think reformatting / reinstalling will be much faster than navigating any MS site / call network.