Win2k memory leak bug in WinXP...?

Once every three days, I get this error “The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty” causing my network to stop working, as well as my USB ports.

After some searching around, I found this article in the MSKB, suggesting Norton Anti Virus to be a known causer of this problem. As I don’t have any version of NAV installed (I never did that since I installed WinXP a couple of weeks ago) I know this can’t be the problem. According to MS, this problem was already fixed in Win2k SP2, so the problem should be out of XP.

My guess is that there is another program that is causing this memory leak problem. Does perhaps anybody know what program that might be?

I’m running some non-MS programs 24/7 on my system, but I don’t really expect them the cause of the problems since they’ve been running over 2 years without problems.

A list:
Remote Admin server
TightVNC server
UD/Think client
DU Meter
Deamon Tools
Mirc
FlashFXP

whats runing in your services and whats on startup in msconfig, if you can some screen shots might be helpful of both of these

There’s quite a few KB articles on diagnosing memory leaks. Performance Monitor has the tools, you can monitor about every aspect of memory management. But shouldn’t the guilty process show in task manager with increasing memory usage?

Nopez, that’s what I tought as well: there is no program using more memory than possible. It’s even so, that there’s still over 1Gb of memory free (internal + pagefile).

I expect there is a relatively small memory pool used for the allocation of TCP/IP sockets (among others) that is running out of allocatable adresses.

As soon as I get home I will make a list of all processes etc running on my system. I already disabled everything I can disable with MSConfig (I did this right after installing XP, as this gives some additional free memory + speed)…

did you click on start->run->services.msc
type in services.msc
click on status tab to arrange by what started automatically
post here, maybe something can ring a bell

Don’t know how people got their page file setup in WinXP, I have 512MB physical on tab, yet I set my virtual memory as -

128MB Initial
384MB Max

Ain’t never had a problem w/ memory leak though in any of the windows OS, ever.

Well, you can always check the Task Manager on day 2.5 and see which program’s hogging all the memory.

list your services that are active and st to auto here. that might help.

Ok, here is the list :

Name,Startup Type
Background Intelligent Transfer Service,Manual
Messenger,Automatic
System Event Notification,Automatic
COM+ Event System,Manual
Net Logon,Manual
Server,Automatic
Security Accounts Manager,Automatic
Portable Media Serial Number Service,Manual
DNS Client,Automatic
Themes,Automatic
Cryptographic Services,Automatic
Remote Procedure Call (RPC),Automatic
Telephony,Manual
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions,Manual
Universal Plug and Play Device Host,Manual
Application Layer Gateway Service,Manual
Application Management,Manual
NT LM Security Support Provider,Manual
Protected Storage,Automatic
WMI Performance Adapter,Manual
Network DDE,Manual
QoS RSVP,Manual
Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS),Manual
Fast User Switching Compatibility,Manual
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA),Automatic
Wireless Zero Configuration,Automatic
Windows Management Instrumentation,Automatic
System Restore Service,Automatic
Routing and Remote Access,Disabled
Alerter,Manual
VMware NAT Service,Automatic
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator,Manual
COM+ System Application,Manual
Upload Manager,Automatic
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider,Manual
Network Connections,Manual
DHCP Client,Automatic
IPSEC Services,Automatic
Network DDE DSDM,Manual
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service,Disabled
Windows Audio,Automatic
Volume Shadow Copy,Manual
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager,Manual
Uninterruptible Power Supply,Manual
Smart Card,Manual
Distributed Link Tracking Client,Automatic
Windows Time,Automatic
Computer Browser,Automatic
Print Spooler,Automatic
Windows Installer,Manual
Indexing Service,Manual
WebClient,Automatic
Automatic Updates,Automatic
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper,Automatic
Smart Card Helper,Manual
Secondary Logon,Automatic
Remote Registry,Automatic
Help and Support,Automatic
Human Interface Device Access,Disabled
Event Log,Automatic
SSDP Discovery Service,Manual
ClipBook,Manual
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing,Manual
Task Scheduler,Automatic
Telnet,Disabled
Plug and Play,Automatic
VMware DHCP Service,Automatic
Logical Disk Manager,Automatic
Workstation,Automatic
Remote Access Connection Manager,Manual
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager,Manual
Distributed Transaction Coordinator,Manual
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service,Manual
Performance Logs and Alerts,Manual
Network Location Awareness (NLA),Manual
VMware Authorization Service,Automatic
Terminal Services,Manual
Error Reporting Service,Automatic
VNC Server,Automatic
Shell Hardware Detection,Automatic
Removable Storage,Manual
Remote Administrator Service,Automatic
Promise RAID message agent,Automatic
NVIDIA Driver Helper Service,Automatic

Well I was hoping for a printscreen, did you type all that out??? Oy. Anyway, I see some things that are unecessary for automatic.

Try setting the following to Disabled, unless you are the only person in the world i know that uses it:
Task Scheduler, disabled

and the following all to Manual:
DNS Client
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
DHCP Client
NVIDIA Driver Helper Service
IPSEC Services
Help and Support

if you dont have a wireless router or NIC:
Wireless Zero Configuration, manual

if you arent running a network:
Upload Manager, manual
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, manual
Webclient, manual
Distributed Link Tracking Client, manual
Computer Browser, manual

and if you are the only user:
Secondary Logon, manual

This was from quick glance. Iwilllook more thoroughly but you can safely make these changes for now. Also you can prioritze whats on auto by clicking on the tabs in the services views.

Okay, I disabled the services (by setting them to manual) I don’t need.

ps. I did not type that list, I used the export functionality to put them into a CSV file :slight_smile:

I guess all you can do is wait now to see if it happens again. The new Norton that usually causes this type of problem uses a new method of scanning, I forget what its called. Its what triggers this problem. I’m trying to figure out if any of these you have running:
Remote Admin server
TightVNC server
UD/Think client
DU Meter
FlashFXP
may possibly trigger a similar response. Moreso the server progs. Of course you can do trial and error by disabling them as well one at a time but lets wait and see if those services did the trick.

Are you running something like Kazaa??
I had a problem with Morpheus (the pre-cursor) to Kazaa. I would open it and from time to time after I closed it, Explorer.exe would start eating every cpu cycle the pc had. I unistalled Morpheus and it stopped. But I noticed it happens if you are running newsbin pro, after several days, it will eat up the cycles, usually from the cache of all the files sitting in the queue.

Try and notice what apps are running when it happens again.

@cloakdoa: No I hardly use any p2p software, so I only start it when I want/need to use it.

I just got home, turned on my PC and saw a message telling me that Windows just recovered from a serious error. The logs told me that the system rebooted over 12 hours ago. The following logentry was made just after the reboot:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x00000166, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804f48a3). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini043003-01.dmp.

Well that doesn’t tell us much (nor does the memory dump).

It’s quite strange that this is happening now. I never experienced a crash on this system (I bought it about 2 months ago) and last weekend I changed something to the configuration as you all might know ;).

When browsing through the logfiles, I see VMWare services (VMNat service etc) popping up quite some times (mostly information, sometimes a warning and no errors). Could VMWare 4 be a problem? Is anybody here using this program? (I hope so, because I really need this app for my work).

Any ideas here? Or should I stick with the trial-and-error way I’ve been going on?

since I installed WinXP a couple of weeks ago

Why on earth did you do that? Come on, explain yourself…:bigsmile:

ehh, just disable everything and turn them on one at a time, thats how I do it. Although I have not yet had a problem with XP.

Okay, got the error again, even after removing VMWare 4 beta… so that wasn’t the problem…

I just did a clean install on my system and guess what: the problem is still there!

I only installed WinXP + all available updates. Furthermore, all software on the box (not that much btw) is totally updated and such…

If anybody can come up with anything causing this, I’d be more than happy to hear/read it!

Clicked on your My systems link, it’s dead.

Which system are we talking about here? Got the hardware specs? I suspect this is a hardware (brand oriented) problem. I’ve built around 4 MSI systems (KT266 - KT400) in the past couple of year and none of them have the memory leak problem you mentioned. Virtual memory were manually set to 128 Min, 384 Max. All systems have 512MB of RAM, all running WinXP Pro SP1. All of them use PCI sound card (Philips Acoustic Edge and Santa Cruz) instead of the built-in AC97. Video cards are all nvidia GF2 and GF4s using the latest video driver. Via 4in1 installed. And I didn’t install cacheman or any of the supposed RAM helpers.

BTW, did the memory leak creep back the moment you finished reinstalling a fresh copy of WinXP, or after you installed all the software?

Stoner: I fixed the link

The system with the problem is my main desktop system. For extended specs, see my sig.
Anyhow, it’s a MSI K7N2G-ILSR mainboard, with 1GB of PC2700 on it (tried different virtual memory settings in XP), a GF4, SB audigy. I’m using the onboard NIC…

If this is really a brand-related problem, why don’t I have the problem when using Win2k with the same software?