Win2K Can't Scan or Play DVD's?

vbimport

I’ve got a fairly odd problem, I have five computers (AMD X2’s, P4 3.2ghz, Core 2 E6700, E6750) two which run Windows 2000 and three which run Windows XP. Up until several months ago I was able to burn video DVD’s, scan them with VSO inspector and watch them no problems on the Win2K machines. But now for some strange reason something that I’m not aware of changed (some update from MS or something) and while I can burn DVD’s fine VSO can’t do a file scan and if I go to the DVD and look in the VIDEO_TS folder there don’t appear to be any files which is probably why I can’t play them (in Media Player Classic) and VSO Inspector can’t scan the files. However if I take that same DVD over to one of my XP machines it does scan (both surface and file) just fine and it plays just fine and if I look in the VIDEO_TS folder I see the files that I’m supposed to.

Has anyone every run into a problem like this on Windows 2000?

Thanks,

• Norm

It’s not clear if you have the exact same issue on both Win2K machines, but if so, looking for a MS update/patch is a good place to start. And isn’t this a good reason to NEVER let MS install updates without your permission? You can see and roll-back MS updates in Add-Remove Programs.

Even so, I can’t think of any good reasons why 2 different Win2K machines would develop such a thing at the same time unless some other software or driver was installed to both machines at the same time. I doesn’t sound like a typical Windows-type issue.

I was thinking the same thing, regarding this problem on two separate machines. But I have to believe that the cause is the same for both since the symptoms are identical. On the one machine, I’ve had it running for years and it was only within the last month (maybe two) that this problem started. While the other machine is a fairly recent clean install, with very little in the way of software at the moment. (Not even Nero 7 which is my usual CD / DVD burning package)

If it is being caused by some MS patch I’m not sure how to figure out which one caused it. I’m really at a total loss as to how to trouble shoot a problem of this nature (Google is usually very helpful in these cases but I can’t find a single reference to anything like this) and I really don’t want to go rolling back updates one at a time to see if I can find the problem one and it’s possible that it wasn’t an update.

Thanks,

• Norm

Hi,

my workhorse computer is running fine on a fully patched W2k. So I doubt, your problem is related to some MS patch.

Wild guess:
You are aware that some music CDs and Video DVDs install “copright enforcement drivers” (these are basically virus-like, you may google for “sony rootkit”)?
Maybe something like this happened on your system?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2106077]Hi,

my workhorse computer is running fine on a fully patched W2k. So I doubt, your problem is related to some MS patch.

Wild guess:
You are aware that some music CDs and Video DVDs install “copright enforcement drivers” (these are basically virus-like, you may google for “sony rootkit”)?
Maybe something like this happened on your system?

Michael[/QUOTE]
That would be my guess as well, if both systems had played the same disc or if the are networked with shared drives, etc.

Okay, at least that eliminates MS as the culprit and while I’ve heard of what you describe DRM included in CD’s and DVD’s I’ve never installed anything like that on purpose and I have to wonder why only my Win2K machines would be affected. However I was looking for a line of investigation and I’ll take any idea’s I can get. Mark Russinovich had a great blog entry on how he ferreted out some DRM that “Self Installed”. It was very detailed and I’m sure that I can use that to help see if there is anything like that installed.

Thanks,

• Norm

[QUOTE=Norm@Home;2106184]Okay, at least that eliminates MS as the culprit and while I’ve heard of what you describe DRM included in CD’s and DVD’s I’ve never installed anything like that on purpose and I have to wonder why only my Win2K machines would be affected. However I was looking for a line of investigation and I’ll take any idea’s I can get. Mark Russinovich had a great blog entry on how he ferreted out some DRM that “Self Installed”. It was very detailed and I’m sure that I can use that to help see if there is anything like that installed.

Thanks,

• Norm[/QUOTE]

The rootkit-type stuff only requires that “autorun” be enabled to get installed, and it is possible that it would effect Win2K differently than XP, since it’s a sort of a driver. There’s some freebie scanning tools around for finding this type stuff.