Are you saying you can’t get windows to load or boot into safe mode ? if you can’t your not going to get to system restore.
If you can boot into safe mode…hit start > run > type in msconfig > hit ok , now click on the Win.INI tab & see if Clone CD still has a box , if it does uncheck the box now you should be able to reboot.
If not then maybe you need to repair XP.
To do a repair, follow these steps exactly. If you don’t, you might lose your current install.
(1) Reboot your system. Go into the BIOS and set it to boot from the CD first.
(2) Put your XP CD in the drive and reboot.
(3) When asked, press any key to boot from CD.
(4) Allow setup to start.
(5) At the next screen, don’t get confused. The option “to repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console” is not what you want. Instead, choose “Setup Windows XP now.”
(6) Next screen, press F8 to accept license.
(7) Critical step: on next screen, press R to do a repair. Don’t choose anything else on this screen!!!
(8) XP will appear to be installing from scratch, let it run its course. Provide your key when asked. When this process is finished, your XP will be repaired. Just d/l the Windows Updates you need again, and your set
BTW, don’t forget to go back into your BIOS and change it so it doesn’t boot from the CD again. If you don’t set it back right away, during repair’s reboots, don’t hit a key to boot from the CD. Let it handle the restarts automatically.
The Repair info is provided by RangerTX @ wxperience.com , so he gets the credit.