Win XP Wont Load After CloneCD

I installed Clonecd on my XP 1700 ECS K7S5A system and then uninstalled it and then uses C3Uv2b and ccdclean to get rid of the files

I went to reboot the system but it hangs now on the blue Windows XP screen. I gets past the one black screen where the orange bar moves across but the next one where its dark blue on top and bottom and light blue in the middle is where its hanging

Any advice

Hehe :slight_smile:
ccdclean does not run correctly in win nt/2000/xp :slight_smile:
I believe you have just deleted a large portion of your registry…
Re-Install XP over itself…
Everything will be fine

Cheers

Reinstalling is a little harsh don’t you think ? You can try using WinXP’s System Restore or maybe reinstalling CloneCD…

Are you serious … dang it

Will I have to reinstall the programs and games too

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
Reinstalling is a little harsh don’t you think ? You can try using WinXP’s System Restore or maybe reinstalling CloneCD…

Hi,

I went into the 'Restore console but I did not know what to type to fix it , do you

Step by step would be helpful

I cant get into the GUI to install anything

I do not think re-installing is harsh…

Believe me it is necessary.

Re-installing XP over itself will not require you to reinstall any software…

Cheers

I’m not using XP so I don’t have a walkthrough. It’s very simple though. You’re in the Restore Window? Are there any dates you can choose from? If so select a restore date from before you removed CloneCD. If there aren’t any dates well then you’re scrwd. Then try reinstalling CloneCD.

Nope there is no restore window … there is a commandline ‘C:>windows’

I could try cd to the directory where Clonecdsetup is and run it but I doubt that would bring back the registry

?? Start, Programs, Accessories, System, System Restore ??

Not there ? Like I said: I’m not using XP so the path can be wrong.

Are you saying you can’t get windows to load or boot into safe mode ? if you can’t your not going to get to system restore.

If you can boot into safe mode…hit start > run > type in msconfig > hit ok , now click on the Win.INI tab & see if Clone CD still has a box , if it does uncheck the box now you should be able to reboot.

If not then maybe you need to repair XP.

To do a repair, follow these steps exactly. If you don’t, you might lose your current install.
(1) Reboot your system. Go into the BIOS and set it to boot from the CD first.
(2) Put your XP CD in the drive and reboot.
(3) When asked, press any key to boot from CD.
(4) Allow setup to start.
(5) At the next screen, don’t get confused. The option “to repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console” is not what you want. Instead, choose “Setup Windows XP now.”
(6) Next screen, press F8 to accept license.
(7) Critical step: on next screen, press R to do a repair. Don’t choose anything else on this screen!!!
(8) XP will appear to be installing from scratch, let it run its course. Provide your key when asked. When this process is finished, your XP will be repaired. Just d/l the Windows Updates you need again, and your set

BTW, don’t forget to go back into your BIOS and change it so it doesn’t boot from the CD again. If you don’t set it back right away, during repair’s reboots, don’t hit a key to boot from the CD. Let it handle the restarts automatically.

The Repair info is provided by RangerTX @ wxperience.com , so he gets the credit.

Originally posted by rag
[B]Are you saying you can’t get windows to load or boot into safe mode ? if you can’t your not going to get to system restore.

If you can boot into safe mode…hit start > run > type in msconfig > hit ok , now click on the Win.INI tab & see if Clone CD still has a box , if it does uncheck the box now you should be able to reboot.

If not then maybe you need to repair XP.

To do a repair, follow these steps exactly. If you don’t, you might lose your current install.
(5) At the next screen, don’t get confused. The option “to repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console” is not what you want. Instead, choose “Setup Windows XP now.”
(7) Critical step: on next screen, press R to do a repair. Don’t choose anything else on this screen!!!
(8) XP will appear to be installing from scratch, let it run its course. Provide your key when asked. When this process is finished, your XP will be repaired. Just d/l the Windows Updates you need again, and your set

BTW, don’t forget to go back into your BIOS and change it so it doesn’t boot from the CD again. If you don’t set it back right away, during repair’s reboots, don’t hit a key to boot from the CD. Let it handle the restarts automatically.

The Repair info is provided by RangerTX @ wxperience.com , so he gets the credit. [/B]

Thank you … this worked great … I was getting a little worried there thinking that XP was reinstalling after I hit ‘R’ for repair but it did not eventhough it goes through a similar process

I wish there was a way to do it like in 98 by typing ‘scanreg /restore’ at the DOS propt

This is exactly what I said to do.

Huh … where … did I miss something

hmmm, maybe im missing something…
i have windows XP Home and XP Pro and ive installed CloneCD on both and have had no problems…

If you want to get in to safe mode just hit F8 before the winXP load screen starts and select safe mode

or maybe the US versions are different…

I have a very similar problem, although i didnt not install Clone CD. To my knowledge nothing was installed on the computer that could have triggered this problem.

Basically after the windows XP home loading screen (the one with the green progress bar) the screen goes black…and it just hangs there unless i reboot…

I cant get into safe mode or last best settings. I tried booting from the XP home cd and using the repair options however it appears (in my opinion) that there is no write or modification access to the hard drive??? is this possible?

The first message I get when i run the repair program is

Setup cannot delete the file: intro.avi

…so i hit esc to skip the file then it does the same thing for several other files. Then once those files are skipped i get a "Setup cannot create the folder:

\WINDOWS\system32\mui

Setup cannot continue until the folder is created.

To retry press enter

To quit press F3

…retry doesnt work and all i can do it quit.

Anyone had this problem? I cant format cos i cant get a dos prompt. The only other solution I can think of would be to use partition magic boot disk and partition the drive creating a new installation of windows hopefully being able to keep data from the other installation?

Hope someone can help…thanks.

Originally posted by Bloodstar007
hmmm, maybe im missing something…

I think the use of ccd registry cleaner was the problem here, ccdclean does not cope with later versions of CloneCD, Win2K or XP well at all. When it tries to remove the key that holds the original install date, and expired trial date it seems to remove all sorts of other stuff at random as well.