Win XP -- The death of warez?

vbimport

What will happen with warez when Windows XP arrives?
I have heard you have to connect to the internet to activate
your version, and when it’s activated you can not use it again.

Will this be the death of warez or an warezic evolution?

huh? i have the beta edition but there is no need to connect to the internet!! It would be a bit strange cause some computers don’t have a connection with the internet (yeah yeah really I’m not joking :))

Hmm… you are using XP??
I am totally freaked by MS doing this. Somebody will
figure out a way to kill the registration crap some how.
Maybe I am a paranoid freak but I dont want them knowing anything that could back to haunt me !!

But the scary thing is that i think they have total access (is it rightspelled?) to your computer… SO they can check if you have downloaded illegal stuff.

When i think about it then,
Yeah, sure they will find a way to bypass the protection… In windows 2000 you only needed to change a value in a file to bypass the cdcheck.

Some cracking team will make a patch…

hmmmm i am running it on my second PC (beta 2) and I haven’t had trouble with it because i placed it outside my intranet (so no internet connection is available on it) but I don’t kwnow how that is on a PC with i’net connection, maybe someone else knows?

uhm, when XP is released there is still win2k win 9x so it will take years before everybody uses XP, and by then it will be bypassed :slight_smile:

Does anyone think that any company, except microsoft , will create any GOOD games. By GOOD i mean games that are created in more than 1 day…

Does sound a bit scary, it wouldn’t surprise me if Microsoft pulled this kind on stunt, but like someone said some people don’t have internet access so whether Microsoft will make u fill in a form a post it off or phone them up to confirm u own the genuing copy seems pretty o.t.t let’s hope not eh?

In any case some smart a$# will crack it to get around it.

Don’t panic yet.

But if they did, wouldnt they violate any law?

Does anyone think that any company, except microsoft , will create any GOOD games. By GOOD i mean games that are created in more than 1 day…

Yes there are plenty of games that rock!! if you like truck racing games 4x4 evolution.

Black and white was supposed to have some kind of
thing that reported home.

i have office xp and that has the activate on it, but i have a cd key so i don’t need to activate it.

maybe windows XP will have a key as well?

Originally posted by cloakdoa
[B]Does anyone think that any company, except microsoft , will create any GOOD games. By GOOD i mean games that are created in more than 1 day…

Yes there are plenty of games that rock!! if you like truck racing games 4x4 evolution.

Black and white was supposed to have some kind of
thing that reported home. [/B]

That thing that reported home? It’s only when you go online, and that program is called spyware. Easily bypassed. Only if you dont bypass the spyware the log your Ip and call your isp (mostly).

I think the most good games are not from microsoft. Just look at codemasters, electronic arts and so on. Or isn’t that what you asked???

Yes i know but will any one create games for WINXP?

I think so that will be in the future the main OS just like win95, 98 and Me in the past. So I’m sure there will be other companies that will produce games. Otherwise Microsoft has a big problem. Nobody will want their Os anymore… SoI think yhey will not so stupid to do that

Actually i think Win XP will be a fiasco.
Hardly anyone will by it and the gamecompanies will produce games for 95,98 and ME.

The biggest reason MS is doing this for the XP line of their stuff is to stop piracy of ms products. Ever notice that the games have some type of weird protection, but not the applications?? Strange isnt it, some of the apps cost a boat load of money and the games are cheaper…I read somewhere that they initialy protected the first MS_word disks with a spiral protection(this was before cd’s took over)on the floppy disks. They were too many problems and they stopped it. But also some of MS games was not actually developed by them but second parties (look at Age of EMpires Ensemble studios)

Well, actually i think theirs some weird protection on Office 2000.
I couldn’t copy the cd… It said it was alright but when i tested my copied cd it said that i was a UDF cd,
and it’s not. I dont know… But i hope someone will turn off the internet stuff for win xp.

Well,

Probably it will be an “easy to remove” thing in the registry, which easily can be killed.

If MS is planning to do this, then they’re doomed. Linux is on its way :slight_smile:

Greetz,

D.S.

Yeah, biy how many gamedeveloper do games for linux?