Win xp pro corporate help

vbimport

Hi everybody!
i just installed an english version of xp pro corporate, since my previous xp home italian installation died (bad reg patch).
i must say i am not very happy with the results, i think pro corporate is much slower and instable...
i use my pc mostly for sharing files, divx making, cd copying, gaming.
with xp home my pc ran like a missile, but now i'm experiencing frequent problems, like disconnections from ftp servers while downloading (not uploading), xmpeg instability, incompatibility with several other encoding programs that with home ITA ran flawlessly.
Is this normal?
moreover now i also have problems reading 99' cd with my plex 161040 and my plex 40ts too, only my old 5x creative dvd has no problems.
Then my system runs very slow when executing multiple applications...
well, with home i never experienced such problems, so i'm wondering if xp pro is somehow different like winME and win2000...
besides who needs built-in cd recording? pro features? maybe i don't need them.
oh, yes, i'n not using a paging file, since i have lots of ram i chose this way, like i did on home. is this a problem for pro corporate?
i know that in this way the system uses ram for paging files, and so works faster...
i hope some1 can help me answering my questions
i often hear bad talk about xp home, but is it really that bad?
i think people say this because people want always MORE not just what they need.
if you find some strange words or grammatical constructions remember i'm Italian!

PIII 1000@1200, abit vh6-2, 650 mb sdram, px161040,px40ts,creative dvd 5x, sblive! basic, scsi ctrltr adaptec 2904, geforce2 gts 64mb, 2 quantum fireball hd

do this, clean install windows xp pro corp :slight_smile:

that should solve all of your problems most likely :slight_smile:

meaning u need a windows xp cd and a windows 98/me boot disk.

and your hard drive still needs to be in fat32 format and not ntfs.

then boot your pc up with tha windows xp cd in your primary drive and boot with windows 98/me startup disk in floppy drive and when menu pops up select “start pc with cd-rom support” then it will load some stuff when it is done u should be at a:\ prompt. then type this

format /q c: then hit enter and answer Y to all tha qestions it asks you.

after that is done reboot ya pc and it should boot from tha windows xp cd that u have in ya primary cd-rom/dvd-rom drive. u might have to manually have it boot from there or it might just do it itself :slight_smile:

get back with me on this issue :slight_smile: i can help u do it :slight_smile:

WARNING: once u type FORMAT /q C: then hit enter and answer Y to tha following questions. ALL OF YOUR DATA WILL BE ERASED!!! so take caution when doing this.

after u get windows up and running u will have to install drivers for your video card/sound card etc…

Better would be

FORMAT C: /AUTOTEST /S

This will format your drive without asking for a confirmation (So be sure to get the correct driveletter !!)

This is an undocumented feature (because not warning/asking for confirmation this could be dangerous) and will check your harddisk for bad sectors while formatting it.

And again … use this at your own risk.

before installing corporate i used partition magic 7 delete and secure erase… isn’t that the same?
by the way, which is the difference between format c: \q and FORMAT C: /AUTOTEST /S ?
just to know what i am doing…
ah, i have another question: judjing by what i do with my pc, do you think i need xp pro? or i could be ok with the home version?
maybe it’s just a formatting problem, but pro corporate left a bad taste in my mouth, expecially for 99min cd playback and divx instability

The reason XP Pro runs so slow is all the crap that is always running ie. MSN Explorer etc.

After installing Xp Pro again go here:

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/

It will help you speed up Xp.

Hello,

Auron, Pro and Home are practically the same. You shouldn’t experience more instability with PRO than with Home. Assuming you installed PRO fresh and assuming the Corperate version you are using is…er… well… uhm… obtained from a less than reliable source. (I only mention this because Corperate versions of XP are obtained when purchased in bulk.)

Alot of XP versions that are floating around Usenet and other places have been hacked. Some contain trojans and modified services. This can obviously cause problems.

PS
ALWAYS USE A PAGE FILE

Good Luck

Originally posted by Auron
before installing corporate i used partition magic 7 delete and secure erase… isn’t that the same?
by the way, which is the difference between format c: \q and FORMAT C: /AUTOTEST /S ?
just to know what i am doing…
ah, i have another question: judjing by what i do with my pc, do you think i need xp pro? or i could be ok with the home version?
maybe it’s just a formatting problem, but pro corporate left a bad taste in my mouth, expecially for 99min cd playback and divx instability

/q is a quick format , just rewriting the File Allocation Table

and what part of

" will check your harddisk for bad sectors while formatting it. "
is so hard to understand ? :slight_smile: