Win xp pro activation - Whats happens now

vbimport

3 weeks ago I upgraded to Win XP pro with service pack 1 which I had to activate.

Yesterday my AMD 2000 chip overheated and burn’t out as a result of this I have replaced this with a AMD2400 and a new Chaintech MoBo and 512 DER Ram.

So what I happen now as I have already registered my Winxp Pro with Microsoft, will the registration not go ahead? or do I have to purchase another Win xp Disk at £160.

Can someone give me some help, I have not installed anything yet

Try activating the normal way and if it says you’ve already activated then there’s a number to call MS on and wait in line with soft elevator-music. They can fix the activation for you.
It’s annoying but what can you do…

im not allowed to tell him what he could do as a result of a few forum rules :wink:

airhead’s method is what you have to do. legally.

I don’t think there’s any thing wrong with keeping a backup of the .wpa file that’s on your hard-drive. It’s a part of any smart person’s backup strategy…though this does not particularly help the owner of the thread.

Re-activation is not a biggy.

ya activating WinXP pretty simple.
if you re-activate more than 3 times in a 6 month period you can’t do it over the internet, you just call Microsoft activation number and explain why you’ve had to re-activate more than 3 times in 6 months.
thats what i had to do last year, kept adding new parts to my comp. plus formatted 2 times and they were wondering what i was doing re-activating so many times.
also if you add more or change more than 3 components in your comp. it will de-activate WinXP from what i’ve heard too.
pretty simple stuff though.

Originally posted by Accel7
…also if you add more or change more than 3 components in your comp. it will de-activate WinXP from what i’ve heard too.
The components that are snapshotted have weightings. The NIC, for example, in combination with other components, has a low weighting. The CPU and MoBo have the highest weightings. There is rumour, although it was on a Powerpoint slide in a MS presentation in Brisbane recently, that a change of CPU and MoBo will require a new licence in the no-too-distant future

XP responds differently to diff hardware/peripheral changes. There is no way to calculate weighings or shuchnot. One person can change a CD-ROm Drive and need to re-activiate when another it won’t affect at all. Usually though, the more you change the greater the chance. Especially for crucial components such as MB/CPU. Hard drives I noticed are like a lottery, do or die. Overall yes its annoying, and legally all you can do is put up with it and call the # and get a new activation key. They will not give you any hasstles about providing a new key when you call in. At risk of violating the rules that is all I can say in the thread.

I desperately needed more hard disk space and another DVD writer so I got a Maxtor / Promise pci adapter and connected 4 hard drives to this. I connected my CD drives to the primary and secondary on the mother board.

Windows XP – totally hosed up so I had to re-install from scratch. (Don’t forget to tell Windows to load the Maxtor driver in the install option – press F6 to load external device driver – or install hangs – can’t find any hard disk believe it or not !!! even thoug DOS has no problems).

Of course on activating it said this copy of Windows had already been activated so I called MS – after some fiddly bits with trying to enter a load of digits via a telephone handset I actually got through to a REAL HUMAN.
After that – no problem – just enter the numbers you get given and it’s fine again.

It’s a bit of a pain but you don’t have to buy a new copy of Windows because you’ve upgraded you hardware

• I really have to use adobe photoshop and a couple of other Windows apps otherwise I would have switched to Linux ages ago.

ever considered wine? i believe photoshop is on the list of confirmed applications now.

I have a piece of software - Camera RAW plugin for adobe photoshop. This converts a digital camera’s RAW image - in my case from Canon professional digital cameras (i.e the actual data captured from the CMOS / CCD sensor) into a TIFF / JPG file after which it can be manipualted via the imaging program (photoshop in this case). Unfortunately due to the propriety nature of the Canon RAW image algorithm it’s not likely this would work with wine – but a great idea.

As far as Windows XP activation is concerened I believe that if you buy something like a motherboard or CPU you should be able to legally buy an OEM copy of Windows XP. This won’t require activation.
I know that this works in the USA but in the UK most companies just look blank when you mention OEM copies.

wine emulates windows api’s. it doesnt emulate algorithms. its a question of what that algorithm uses from a windows api to work. or if wine works :wink:

oem copies require activation.

Originally posted by Accel7
ya activating WinXP pretty simple.
if you re-activate more than 3 times in a 6 month period you can’t do it over the internet, you just call Microsoft activation number and explain why you’ve had to re-activate more than 3 times in 6 months.
thats what i had to do last year, kept adding new parts to my comp. plus formatted 2 times and they were wondering what i was doing re-activating so many times.
also if you add more or change more than 3 components in your comp. it will de-activate WinXP from what i’ve heard too.
pretty simple stuff though.

I format and re install win xp at least once a month and have had no probs activating windows over the net. As a matter of fact I have had to format 5 times in the last 3 days due to a hardware problem and have activated win xp every time over the net with no probs at all. If you tell m$ that you format regulary they do something that allows you to bypass those security features.

The WindowsXP Pro Corporate edition has the activation feature disabled.

So if you have a friend that owns a business or a corp. then ask them to do you a favor and buy you a copy. I have no idea what the price would be but I assume it would be pricey.

Originally posted by xtacydima
I have no idea what the price would be but I assume it would be pricey.

and I assume you meant piracy

Another annoyance with Product activation — If you run Windows XP as a guest OS under VMware sometimes the Activate Windows screen will pop up because you’ve changed the configuration – Virtual Hardware configuration your machine.
You then get into all sorts of shenanigens with Microsoft because the guy / gal at the other end of the telephone hasn’t got a clue about “Virtual Machines” and thinks because the hardware is so different you are trying to install on a different machine. I’ve read the EULA licence and it says clearly this copy of Windows is licensed to run on 1 computer – It is only running on 1 computer – why should I have trouble emulating 2 or 3 machines on the same pysical machine.
For example you can change memory / disk / cd / monitor configuaration with VMware – an excellent way to test out a new OS. If I install something and it doesn’t work I just trash that virtual machine.
I only do what most properly run businesses do – test out an upgrade on a “test Machine” before using it as “production”.

I use my computer in my business so I need to ensure upgrades work.

Don’t you just get sick of Microsoft at times.

However it’s quite a challenge to fiddle around with the VM configuration so that the Activate Windows doesn’t pop up on a newly configured Virtual Machine.

By the way buying corporate Windows XP really gives meaning to the XP in Windows XP

Windows eXPensive :bigsmile: not an option unless you are IBM, Shell etc etc.

(Any gurus out there who are interested in playing around with Virtual Machine look at http://www.vmware.com ).
I don’t work for them or have any commercial associations with them – just purely technical interests.