Win XP install problem with 1640?

vbimport

I’m thinking about getting a 1640. I came across this. What do other BenQ users think?

From: http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustRatingAllReview.asp?DEPA=0&SubCategory=5&Keywords=1640

Don’t try to install Windows XP with this unit
Benq DW1640=You can’t install Windows XP SP2

This past week, I build two nearly identical systems, one for myself and one for my Dad. Both contained the Benq DW1640 as the sole media drive. Neither would install Windows XP SP2 from the fully legit Microsoft manufactured OEM disks, purchased from Newegg. Immediately after the network configuration portion of the install process, the Windows Installer would flash a file dialog box in my face and ask for the location of the D:\i386 directory. For all those who don’t know, that is the path on the install CD where all the Windows cab files are kept. In short, it was telling me it couldn’t find any install source materials on the CD. I flashed both drives to the latest firmware in my old rig, and got the same results.

The nature of the 2x2 test pretty well eliminated all other components as the possible source of failure. I swapped a lot of parts back and forth between these two rigs trying to isolate the source of failure. Finally, in disgust, I pulled an older LiteOn SOWH-1653 drive out of my old rig, and installed it in my new rig. 17 minutes later my new rig was up and running Windows XP SP2 perfectly. I moved the LiteOn to my Dad’s rig, and 17 minutes after that, his rig was running Windows XP. Because I am a glutton for punishment, I tried installing Windows again with my NEC ND-3540. The results with the NEC were even better. It took about 12 minutes to reinstall Windows.

In summary, the Benq DW1640 has fundamental flaws. The inability to read Windows OEM disks disqualifies this one from consideration. Pirates like this drive because it rips extremely well, but I can testify that this drive doesn’t have what it takes to be your do-it-all, every-day drive. You are a lot better off with the LiteOn 1693S or the NEC ND-3540.

I just reformated one of my Hard drives last week and used the 1640 without a hitch.:confused:

I installed Windows XP Home with no problems.

A Couple of days back I made a bootable DVD with both the CD disks data of XP MCE 2005 and wanted to try it out - it installed perfectly.

In summary, the Benq DW1640 has fundamental flaws. The inability to read Windows OEM disks disqualifies this one from consideration. Pirates like this drive because it rips extremely well, but I can testify that this drive doesn’t have what it takes to be your do-it-all, every-day drive. You are a lot better off with the LiteOn 1693S or the NEC ND-3540.

That’s weird. I installed OEM XP PRO with SP2 on a friends AMD computer with his new OEM 1640 drive from Newegg.com which had no problems at installing. It could be that the 1640 drives you got were defective if it couldn’t read the files correctly from your XP disc. There’s already a thread on some drives being defective because they don’t read correctly or fast with DL media. I would just RMA the drives back to Newegg.com. :wink:

no problems for me, sounds like user error is more likely than 2 defective drives at the same time.
If the reviewer told the truth, he would not have mentioned the magical 12-minute XP install with a “legit” Windows CD. You have to turn off SFC to get an install going that quickly, and no official Windows CD has SFC disabled. It takes me 10 minutes to install my Windows, and that’s with a ton of crap cut out & with SFC disabled. That’s a bloody swift installation, that is.
The “Pirates like this drive” dribble at the end tells me this reviewer is full of sh*t, there are faster ripping drives out there for the same price…

No problems either here doing clean insalls of XP with the 1640 , sounds like that person has RAM problems as whenever I came across someone who had problems installing XP with errors that it couldn’t read the media etc. it was 8 times out of 10 a RAM issue down to either faulty RAM or incorrect timings.

I also did a complete reinstall of XP Pro and used the 1640 without a hitch. :slight_smile: Its a great drive, there are obviously a few out there with some flaws, but the percentage is probably very small (as with any OD on the market). :stuck_out_tongue:

God thanks, I thought I’m the only one… Here is my todays thread describing the same problem. :eek: Could it be a problem with the actual Firmware (BSOB) ?

What kind of Firmware ist working on your drive ?

Please reply.

FWIW, I agree. :slight_smile:

i have no problems with this drive either. but i have to mention a weird thing. i burned a custom made windows setup to a DVD+RW (MID: RICOHJPN W11 (001)) and this drive refused to install windows from that disk - it said files are missing. It worked fine on my Liteon 1653S as well as when burned to a DVD-RW.