Win xp booting problems

vbimport

i am facing problem with win xp sp2 booting. actually i have two hard disks installed on my system. but some times boot failure error comes. after restarting few times the xp boots correctly. can any one suggest the solution ?

use the scan disc feature to scan for errors. If your HDD is very old, I would consider replacing it.

Drives probably about to die like was mentioned. Also could be bad cables from corrosion or whatever, bad power cable, another bad piece of hardware causing windows to not see what it expects and fail to boot.
I always turn on my disk smart utilities in the bios now so hopefully the board will warn me when a drive is getting close to crashing.
My drive usually live about 5 years then something happens to them, they just get old and wear out I think.
If you have a error code it might help figure out what’s going on, and do error check the suspect drive.
You might want to backup all the important stuff first so your not SOL if it does die.
There are a ton of things that can cause it not to boot, most are bad, some just mess up the one time and it might be just fine afterwords.

[QUOTE=zshan000;2140061]i am facing problem with win xp sp2 booting. actually i have two hard disks installed on my system. but some times boot failure error comes. after restarting few times the xp boots correctly. can any one suggest the solution ?[/QUOTE]

I agree with the other posters your problem without knowing more could be a variety of things causing it. Sometimes those problems can be fixed with a complete reinstall of the O/S. But if your HDD is going to the heap on you there is nothing you can do but backup your precious data and buy a new drive and reboot that drive and reinstall all your program back. Also slipstream your xp sp2 to xp sp3 if possible to get the most up to date xp.

well i had some problems with old hard drive, when i had only one hard disk installed (40 gb maxtor)way back 4 years ago… the problem was then…some times system didnt detect hard drive …but it was rare i used to unplug data cables …that how problem was solved… now i have two hard disk.

1. 80 gb seagate 2-3 yearls old
  2. 250 gb WD 1 year old (primary boot drive)

I have problems with not detecting secondary disk 3 months ago then i changed jumber setting and data cable (i still think its not yet up to quality)

the problem solved of hardware detection… not now i am having boot trouble some times even i am just restart my pc and then i will not boot…after 3-5 mins it will boot properly…i dunt think there is problem with hard… i think there might be jumper setting problems or mother board problem… but i ma not sure …

can some one tell me correct jumper setting and high quality data cable identification ???

Specs "
p-4 1.6 512 mb RD ram (128*4)
intel 850mv board
256mb 6200 geforece
sony combo drive
sony super drive
80 gb seagate hard (IDE) Secondary
250 gb Western digital (IDE) primary

one more question
should i install both hard disks on same data cable ??

If both drives are using the same master/slave port you have to use same cable and set the jumpers for each drive properly.
If your using each drive by itself on it’s own IDE port you might want to set it up as single drive on each port, some boards have problems if they aren’t setup for either type.
It sounds like you have them both on their own IDE port by themselves, so I’m sure for the Western Digital drive you need to remove all jumpers, the Seagate I don’t know for sure but you should have a diagram on the drive with all the possible jumper settings. If your not going to add more drives to the machine you should be able to run it like that, if you add more goodies down the road you might have to put them together on one cable and port as master/slave setup.
As far as that type of boot problem it could be a bad data cable, power cable, some kind of missmatch with your board and that drive, or like you said maybe the board itself is starting to go bad.
I don’t know that board, so maybe I’m missing something or you’ve got those sony drives paired up with the other HD’s and cuasing a problem with cable/jumer settings.
You probably want to use 80 wire ide cables too if you have any of the older style single 40 wire ones still in that box.
Sounds like a older system, might be about time to upgrade and gain some speed and features, plus probably better stability.
I’m sure others will jump in with things I’ve missed and other good ideas, good luck.