Win 7 to Win. 10

vbimport

If you install Win. 10 from Win 7, skipping Win 8 & 8.1, will there be a difference in quality? T.I.A.

No.

The only difference is determined by what you started with in Windows 7.

If you had Windows 7 Home edition, you’ll be upgraded to Windows 10 Home. If you had Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, you’ll go to Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks a lot Kerry, I was just wondering since Win8/8.1was so much newer and might have had features not included when jumping directly from Win7 to 10.

Suggest you create a Win7 backup image before upgrading. In another forum I read a user had freeze up problems after the upgrade, and attempts to go back to Win7 failed. He had to do a fresh Win7 install and reinstall all apps, but a backup image would avert all that extra work.

If it is a laptop check to see if others have upgraded the same model from windows 7 to Windows 10 some upgrade fine others don’t do a google search before you upgrade and by all means create a system image before upgrading.

Many of the manufactures still don’t have updated drivers yet I have found this especially true if your running windows 7.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2758500]Suggest you create a Win7 backup image before upgrading. In another forum I read a user had freeze up problems after the upgrade, and attempts to go back to Win7 failed. He had to do a fresh Win7 install and reinstall all apps, but a backup image would avert all that extra work.[/QUOTE] Thats all I had was frezze up issues,until I did a clean installation and now its okay, not perfect but okay.

I went from W7 to W10 with only one small hitch: Nothing worked after that!
…my dual monitors showed me nothing…panic mode: RAM or Graphics card or other hardware failure??? :o:sad::a:Z

It turned out that everything was fine, just that W10 had apparently changed the port priority…switched them around and it was all good :cool:

If you have an Nvidia GPU, upgrade your drivers to the new Windows 10 drivers. :wink:

I like win 7, to me its still like having an XP machine. Don’t like change and don’t trust win 10 yet. Going to wait to see all problems with it first. FREE is not always free.

By the way, I installed Windows 10 upgrade to both my Windows 8.1 main computer and my backup computer running Windows 7.

I have been forced to go back to Windows 7 in the older machine. Windows 10 would not recognize any of my optical drives, and would not install the drivers for my video card in that machine. I could fix the video card driver, but nothing I did could make Windows 10 work with the optical drives. Two were SATA, one was PATA. So, back to 7 I went.

It also borked several games that were on that machine that my nephew plays, so that was unacceptable also.

Change the name of Windows 10 the Windows Borked . :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

As I think about it more, that motherboard has two SATA controllers, and Windows 10 simply wasn’t finding the second one, which had both of the SATA optical drives connected to it. I could have switched to open ports, but still, the controller should have worked.

I believe it is a JMicron controller, but is called Gigabyte SATA2, and it controls the PATA ports as well.

The borked games meant I couldn’t just go in and fix the hardware problems. No way to get past the game problems, so reverting to 7 was the only real solution.

R.M.T. has spotted an interesting story over on the “dvdranger” forum .

http://www.dvdrangersupportforum.info/index.php?topic=4993.msg12828#new

@ mosis14 , The linked article is only available to registered members on the dvdranger site.
I would like to read the article but I’m not registering a DVDRanger to do it.
I’m sure it will be posted elsewhere sooner or later .

From the title it sounds like what MS is doing is also illegal.
Since they do not own the games or the hardware . Basically they are [B]vandalizing [/B] others’ property.
If they find that a person has pirated games or illegal hardware MS’s legal recourse would be to report this to law enforcement . MS’s doesn’t have the right to “take the law into its’ own hands”.
However even gathering the information from a computer MS doesn’t own might also be illegal . This might fall into invasion of privacy laws. Gathering this information should only be done by law enforcement & only with a warrant.
Then whatever charges brought & tried by a court . With the court deciding the punishment.

[QUOTE=cholla;2758930]@ mosis14 , The linked article is only available to registered members on the dvdranger site.
I would like to read the article but I’m not registering a DVDRanger to do it.
I’m sure it will be posted elsewhere sooner or later .[/QUOTE]

It’s a copy of this article.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2758922]As I think about it more, that motherboard has two SATA controllers, and Windows 10 simply wasn’t finding the second one, which had both of the SATA optical drives connected to it. I could have switched to open ports, but still, the controller should have worked.

I believe it is a JMicron controller, but is called Gigabyte SATA2, and it controls the PATA ports as well.

The borked games meant I couldn’t just go in and fix the hardware problems. No way to get past the game problems, so reverting to 7 was the only real solution.[/QUOTE]

My optics also were not recognized in Win. 10, for some reason after a few boots they miraculously reappeared

This is what we call " Paranoia" MS is not that stupid as to scare millions of people out of upgrading. This is for stolen video games, it has nothing to do with movies or music.