Win 7 Pro 64 admin rights

vbimport

is it normal for Win 7 Pro 64 to ask for permission to run monitoring programs like cpu-z; Revo uninstaller everytime you use it? I noticed all these program icons on my desktop have the Win 7 blue and gold shield attached to it.

[QUOTE=prim8e;2634996]is it normal for Win 7 Pro 64 to ask for permission to run monitoring programs like cpu-z; Revo uninstaller everytime you use it? I noticed all these program icons on my desktop have the Win 7 blue and gold shield attached to it.[/QUOTE]

Yo prim8e-

All my Win7 programs do the same thing-

However I don’t have any ‘shields’ attached to any of my icons (3 desktops and one laptop) :confused:

[QUOTE=prim8e;2634996]is it normal for Win 7 Pro 64 to ask for permission to run monitoring programs like cpu-z; Revo uninstaller everytime you use it? I noticed all these program icons on my desktop have the Win 7 blue and gold shield attached to it.[/QUOTE]

If you don’t want to see that pop-up every time you can disable it within ‘Administrative Tools’-> ‘Local Security Policy’-> ‘Local Policies’-> ‘Security Options’

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=prim8e;2634996]is it normal for Win 7 Pro 64 to ask for permission to run monitoring programs like cpu-z; Revo uninstaller everytime you use it? I noticed all these program icons on my desktop have the Win 7 blue and gold shield attached to it.[/QUOTE]Yes, this is normal. These programs do some work “under the hood”, where advanced permissions are needed.

I would suggest to not disable this behaviour as suggested above.

Michael

thanks for the info. still learning about win 7 idiosyncracies

Are you sure your not logged in as admin user? I used those same program and never had the permission pop? I am the owner and when I log in or uninstall programs never had that come up? Only my recovery program I use would recommend me to be in admin mode to use it’s feature. But sounds more like your in another account besides admin or owner status. Go back and check your privileges and make sure your the owner status. And as one Senior MODs says

I would suggest to not disable this behaviour as suggested above.
is not a good thing to do cause you will forget you turned it off giving anyone and any program free run especially malware and Virus are just waiting for not security to infect and run amoke.

to BigMike, the shield can be seen when you right click any desktop program icon and look at run as administrator

to coolcolors, yes, I’m logged in as admin. this is my first install of Win 7 (change from Win XP Pro). I don’t think I’m doing anything different from you when installing these programs.

[QUOTE=prim8e;2635048]to BigMike, the shield can be seen when you right click any desktop program icon and look at run as administrator[/QUOTE]

How about giving us a screen shot with the right click properties of the icon and let us see what it is saying cause I did the same thing.

here is a screen shot

That is odd my shortcut icon on my screen doesn’t show the “Run as Admin” icon shortcut attached to them? Are you sure you didn’t create those icon? I can only think that would be the only way to have them create the shortcut. Uninstall both those program and log in as the owner status not Admin account and reinstall those program for all users and run them again and see what happens? Forgot to add that when you install those programs let the programs created the shortcut for all users and see if the problem doesn’t show back up at least then we will know what is going on.

sorry for my ignorance, I’m new to Win 7 o/s. what is the difference between admin and owner status? where do you create owner status? check my account status in control panel, couldn’t find owner status acct.in terms of installing these programs , just followed the instructions and enable desktop icon status. ( no change from installing under Win XP o/s).

maybe you find here the answers.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691(v=ws.10).aspx

[QUOTE=prim8e;2635150]sorry for my ignorance, I’m new to Win 7 o/s. what is the difference between admin and owner status? where do you create owner status? check my account status in control panel, couldn’t find owner status acct.in terms of installing these programs , just followed the instructions and enable desktop icon status. ( no change from installing under Win XP o/s).[/QUOTE]

Admin and Owner is the same person status but the difference is Admin is a unseen or hidden login but if you unhide the Admin login it will require a password to be set for it. But the Owner aka Admin status owns the rights to the system. Kinda confusing but they are one in the same but only the Owner login is seen not the Admin. I know that for it to have the “Run as Admin” Shield on it must’ve been a user created shortcut aka “Run as Admin” or the program was set to install as default install rather then doing a custom install. You might want to go custom install for any programs next time to see what it is really doing and get a handle on future install in-case it install tool-bars or task-bar icons that you didn’t need or want to have taking valuable system resources. Windows 7 install and setup is very different from XP it has change alot and maybe you would be helped more if you got a Windows 7 book and look into it’s features that would also be a good resource to help with your transition into Windows7 and all its changes.

[QUOTE=prim8e;2635150]sorry for my ignorance, I’m new to Win 7 o/s. what is the difference between admin and owner status?[/QUOTE]Admin and User are user groups with different permissions.
“Owner” is the user who created a file or directory. Usually, you only have full access (including deletion) to a file if you own it.

Michael