Win 7 64bit not detecting ext esata HDD?

vbimport

i have a problem , i just bought this new pc , now when i plug in my ext 1.5tb HDD via sata cable (esata) into the back of the pc it detects the hdd while the pc is booting up, i can see its listed there , but then when the pc is ready the hdd cant be seen anywhere at all, now i went to disc management and i can see my main hdd (c drive) but underneath it there is no listing of the ext hdd , in the left column its says disc 1 dynamic when i right click it there is no option to select drive letter or anything like that, it says convert to basic. the drive has stuff on it so formatting it is a last resort, is is currrently formatted as NTFS . is there a setting somewhere that isnt enabled ? where do i go to check if this is the case ?

let me know if you require anymore info. i am not a pro at this.

• Intel i7-2600 cpu 3.40Ghz
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Pro (64bits)
  • Asus GTX 560 1gb Graphics card
  • Asus P8Z68-M PRO motherboard
  • G.Skill DDR3 12800 CL9D-8GBXL
  • Aerocool VX-R LE Limited Ed Case
  • Widetech 650w psu
  • LG Blu-Ray 12x CH12LS28
  • Seagate 1Tbgb HDD

Maybe you need to check the BIOS for some eSATA specific entries…

thanks , i got it to work now , it only took me 6 hours .

So what was the problem?

How about sharing the knowledge so when someone else has a similar problem…

AD

in disc management there was no HDD listed there in the right hand side, but on the left hand side there was a little bit of info saying Disc 1,Dynamic, and the word foreign. when i right click this area there were no real options to do anything at all. as it didnt have a drive letter or anything , just the option to formatt, and convert to (basic ) what ever that is . so i stuffed around plugging in the cable in and out maybe 10+ times and then finally an option came up when i right click that area to imoprt foreign drive , this was never there before . as i have been trying to get it to work for 5 days now and was getting the shits big time cause all my data was on that drive and i needed to transfer it to new pc so i can start using it. so i thought what the hell , ill try that , once i amported it it found the drive and now it works fine. i could then assign it a drive letter and finally transfer all my stuff.

i did heaps of searching all over the net and also ringing up the computer place from where i had the pc built and no-one could tell me what was wrong , luckily i got it to work.

also a lot of people are also having the same issue , all with win 7.

ps. even using a usb lead it still would not find the drive .

[QUOTE=ghosts;2625984]in disc management there was no HDD listed there in the right hand side, but on the left hand side there was a little bit of info saying Disc 1,Dynamic, and the word foreign. when i right click this area there were no real options to do anything at all. as it didnt have a drive letter or anything , just the option to formatt, and convert to (basic ) what ever that is . so i stuffed around plugging in the cable in and out maybe 10+ times and then finally an option came up when i right click that area to imoprt foreign drive , this was never there before . as i have been trying to get it to work for 5 days now and was getting the shits big time cause all my data was on that drive and i needed to transfer it to new pc so i can start using it. so i thought what the hell , ill try that , once i amported it it found the drive and now it works fine. i could then assign it a drive letter and finally transfer all my stuff.

i did heaps of searching all over the net and also ringing up the computer place from where i had the pc built and no-one could tell me what was wrong , luckily i got it to work.

also a lot of people are also having the same issue , all with win 7.

ps. even using a usb lead it still would not find the drive .[/QUOTE]

Actually having a drive listed as “foreign” is a “normal” thing if the drive is formatted “dynamic”

On my last desktop my two 750gb data drives were formatted "dynamic"
and I ran two different operating systems, XP and Windows7.

Each OS was on a seperate physical drive on a removeable drive drawer and ewvery time I switched OS I’m need to go into disc management and “import” the “foreign” drives.

RIGHT click on the box on the left side of the bar graph at the bottom of the disc management screen and it will offer you this option of “import”.

The first time you see that it’ll scare the hell out of you thinking you lost your data… but after seeing that 50-odd times it just gets old.

AD

It looks like you built this System of yours, why would you want an External HDD. I have 3 HDD’s, and the one I use for Video is a 1.5Tb all Internal. Very easy to manage, even if I have to upgrade or change. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2626127]It looks like you built this System of yours, why would you want an External HDD. I have 3 HDD’s, and the one I use for Video is a 1.5Tb all Internal. Very easy to manage, even if I have to upgrade or change. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I have a system I built, or “rebuilt” and four internal drives, room and
available connections for two more, yet my 2TB drive is OUTSIDE
the case in an eSATA enclosure.

Why? because I use it as backup storage for my data and once I’ve backed up I turn it OFF.

a drive that is OFF isn’t wearing, using power or moving towards eventual failure as fast as other drives.

AD

[QUOTE=alchav21;2626127]It looks like you built this System of yours, why would you want an External HDD. I have 3 HDD’s, and the one I use for Video is a 1.5Tb all Internal. Very easy to manage, even if I have to upgrade or change. :cool:[/QUOTE]

hey ,

the above pc i just built also has a built in HDD , the ext esata one i am takling about is the one i use to back up 3 other drives , and this was the one i needed to tranfer all my data the fastest way . so i do have 1 internal and 1 external drive . i was thinking of putting the ext drive inside the pc , but mybe later after i have everything installed on the new one first.

also how would i formatt it not to dynamic , or it doesnt matter what its formatted to ?

[QUOTE=ghosts;2626247]hey ,

the above pc i just built also has a built in HDD , the ext esata one i am takling about is the one i use to back up 3 other drives , and this was the one i needed to tranfer all my data the fastest way . so i do have 1 internal and 1 external drive . i was thinking of putting the ext drive inside the pc , but mybe later after i have everything installed on the new one first.

also how would i formatt it not to dynamic , or it doesnt matter what its formatted to ?[/QUOTE]

it being formatted to “dynamic” only costs you the need to “import” the “foreign volume” every time you connect it to a different computer.

But converting it without losing all your data will require that data to be moved somewhere else while you are converting it to a simple NTFS volume.

Frankly I wouldn’t worry about it.

On a backup drive needing to take that extra step each and every time will act as a safety to prevent you from doing something to that drive accidentially.

In my case the only stuff on my external drive is mp3, mp4, m4v, jpeg and pdf files (“pure data”) because my (saved to the hard drive) e-mail is
automatically backed up daily to a pair of USB memory sticks (mounted INSIDE the computer) and my system is “Backed up” by cloning the entire
physical drive the system partition is on every 10-14days.

My problem with “dynamic volumes” is that my system presumes that a dynamic volume is part of a RAID array and whines every time one is connected or disconnected.

AD