Win 10 suddenly shuts down

i start the pc then sometimes out of the blue the pc will shut down, i have not installed anything lately that may cause this, but i did notice it started doing it with one of the major windows update about 5 or so months ago. since then it has shut down about 5 -10 times by itself usually about 5 -20 minutes after starting up,
i went into event viewer and saw some errors and things their but i dont know what im looking at, any help would be good to isolate the issue. i did notice that the error that are popping up are the same every time it happens.

there are a few different errors their. is there a error report file that i can show here so someone can help.?

Does the PC switch off suddenly and completely?
Or is it like a controlled shutdown?

A sudden switch off is normally a hardware problem. More than likely thermal related, or the sign of a failing PSU.

Its summer in Australia so make sure any air intake filters are clean or that things like radiators are not clogged up.

HWInfo is a free utility which will allow you to monitor temps.
Use the sensors only option.

1 Like

Hi Dee,

the Pc will just go to a blue screen with some writing on it which i did not have time to read, but may of said something like your pc has ran into a problem and needs to shut down and then it restarts automatically ← ( is this what u mean by a controlled shutdown ),
i think the first time it did it was after windows did one of those major updates to 21H1 several months ago maybe may or june ish , then after PC got turned on again the next time the PC did this blue screen shut down, and then did it several more times over the next few pc starts on that day and over the next several days,

And now just the last few days it has started to do it again it has not done it in the last 2 months till i updated windows a few days ago. it did not do it today at all.

summer is here, but it is a very cool summer of around 22 - 28 degrees every day so far, no hot days at all yet.

ill give that HWinfo a go . Do i download the portable 1 or installer ?

do u know what these radiators look like on my PC and where do i find it.?

this is my new PC i bought around last November.

i have also noticed that once PC is started the CPU stays around 12 - 14 % for about 15minutes ( i am not doing anything on it at all ) , then goes down to 1 or 2 % there after, this has been doing it for last 3 - 4 months, where as previously it was always at the low end 1 -2%.
And also Memory seems to be staying at 3 - 4gb while idle as well. ( i dont know if this is normal ) But thought id mention both of these , (Maybe they are both normal )

Yes that is a controlled shutdown.

If I remember correctly the PC you bought had an AIO water cooler.
To find the radiator there should be two rubber or plastic pipes coming from the CPU. Simply follow them back to the radiator which will have 1 or 2 cooling fans.

Regarding HWInfo, the installer version will be easier to use. It’s a tiny app, and can be uninstalled later if you wish.
It can display a lot of info, but basically look for CPU core temps. VRM temps, and GPU temps. They should never exceed 90c even under heavy load.

A Blue screen shutdown, is generally a DRAM instability problem, but not always.
Very difficult to diagnose a PC problem remotely.

But lets first check it is not a problem with temps first.

I’m assuming that you checked there was not packing material inside the case before use?
They sometimes use polystyrene to support the graphics card ‘in transit’ for example.

no problems with temperature, cpu mainly between 33 and 45 degrees, gpu max was 56 degrees.

i cant find vrm temp anywhere .

And no packaging in there , i went thru it when i bought it.

i cant really get inside my PC to check cooling fans, as ive just had back surgery , so any bending for me is impossible.

what i am thinking was it started to happen after that big windows update back mid year, and it seems to happen again on this past sunday or monday when there was a general windows update, so it seems to be happening after windows update after the PC is restarted. ( thats just what im thinking it might be )

or maybe a driver issue.

It hasnt done it today at all.

A sudden shutdown, like you describe (blue screen of death) after updates will generally come down to device drivers or a similar low-level piece of software that loads into the Windows kernel. I would look very carefully at your update history and see if any device drivers or miscellaneous, nebulous Windows patches have been applied. These are your most like suspects…

A good place to start would be updating the drivers.
New drivers have been released to support the new Win10 updates, and Win11 for that matter.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B550M-A-WIFI-II/HelpDesk_Download/

Try reseating the RAM modules.

thanks alan1476 , i cant at the moment due to back operation.

And mdisante i haven’t noticed anything sus when downloading the updates, i just let win do the normal updates.

Dee , i went to the drivers page, there are heaps of stuff there, do i download them all ?

for example ,
Software and Utility, has 9 separate download items. each 1 is for something different, do i need them all ? thats what i down know.

then theirs
Audio drivers,
VGA drivers.
Chipset has 2 drivers, would i just download the last one only,
Sata , has 2
this is where i may need help on what i should and should not download.

Just the chipset and audio driver from the Asus site.
Don’t download any other utils.
Get the VGA driver from Nvidia website

It’s best to use the option for the NVidia Experience app. It will auto select the correct VGA driver for you.

i just went into control panel / programs and features and saw Nvidia Geforce experience app 3.20.5.70 is there version in program & features list, how do i access it on my pc to download the latest VGA driver. or does it do it automatically when theirs a win 10 update.?

i will give it all a try in coming days, i need to finish some video editing on my pc which is taking up some space, and then ill do image backup, then proceed with drivers. so ill get back to you in several days. thnx.

To access the NVidia GeForce Experience app.
It should be found in the Task Bar section near the clock.
It may be hidden. If so check the taskbar overflow icon ‘up arrow’ in the same task bar.

The NVidia icon should then show.
Right click on it and select the NVidia GeForce Experience option. it will update the app itself if required. Once the app displays select the Driver tab then check for updates, and follow the prompts.

I know that problems like this can have you chasing your tail for hours / days.
If it is within your budget, get a Crucial MX500 SSD. Their prices are very low nowadays.
With system power off, disconnect the power and data cables to your existing hard drive.
Then connect the new drive.
Power up and load a fresh setup of Windows.
Run it as a test for a few days.
If you still see the problem, it is likely hardware or firmware related.
If the problem does not re-occur, then there is a problem with the software setup on your original hard drive.
You can always use the new drive for backups or a spare later on.
HTH

Hiya DJ,

I’m a long-timer who still reads the weekly email.

Hiya Dee. :blush:

I’d like to suggest some Windows Administrator commands to have Windows scan the physical RAM for errors, test the self-repair image and repair it if needed, then test Windows itself and let it use the freshly rebuilt repair image to repair the Windows installation if needed, knowing we have good RAM.
It is important to do these steps in order.

NOTE:
These commands should be run in Safe Mode. You can do this with the System Configuration app. To access it:
Click the Start Charm and type:
msconfig
then in the right pane click Open. You may again also right-click the icon and click Open.
Click the Boot Tab, then select SafeBoot-Minimal. Follow the prompt and reboot the PC

You will need to open a Command Prompt with Admin Privileges prompt window:
To start a command prompt as an administrator (alternative method)

1. Click the Start charm.
  2. Type cmd, then in the right-side pane click Run as Administrator.
    Alternately, Type cmd, then right-click the Command Prompt tile, and then click Run as administrator.
    You will run all of the following command lines from this window, you can always type or copy and paste.

Note: this first can sometimes take a while dependent on machine speed and amount of RAM.
First we run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool to test the RAM for errors:
At the cursor in the Command Prompt window type:
mdsched
and press Enter. You may also copy and paste. Follow the instructions. Best of luck to you.

Fail the test and you may look to the RAM or CPU. Run a CPU test tool, consider re-seating the RAM and run another Mem Diag command. Consider reseating the CPU as a last resort. I’d reseat all cards (GPU, etc.) before hassling myself with the CPU.
Passed the test? Great! Now we run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool to test the deployment image stored within Windows for self-repair, and rebuild it using Windows Update Online to grab the latest stuff from Microsoft servers.
Cookin’ with gas now, ain’t we?
Using the same command prompt type or c/p:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
and press Enter. Keep an eye on the screen.
IF there are errors after the test you can copy and paste them from the window to here, but you probably need to reinstall windows I’m afraid, still reporting them is worth a shot. It is also not a bad idea to try the next command, then rerun the DISM tool.
Passed? You’re the man now, dog!

Now we run the Windows System File Checker tool to check the Windows installation and repair it if needed with all new rebuilding stuff.
From the same command prompt type or c/p:
sfc /scannow
and press Enter. Keep an eye on the screen.

I am very busy, this is what I have. If you need more post it here and I’ll get here ASAP.

Hope this helps everyone.

Be Excellent to Each Other, and Have a Cool Yule!,
Fuzzilla *<|:o)>

That’s normal Windows behavior. Windows self-maintains very well. Then there all the other software you install that check for updates automatically unless you disable this in the settings for the application. Then there is the phoning-home and so on.

Keep those rads clean of dust, fans too. You may use a vac, but it is best to do so while shut-down and still plugged-in to the wall for grounding. Turn off the PSU as well and wait 60 seconds. I also then press the power button to further discharge the capacitors in the PC.
Most avoid the static discharge risk and use compressed air. I’m not a fan you can rip components off boards with too much air. You do you.

Windows will load all the drivers for your system during the install routine. If it has not you will see in Device Manager a yellow Exclamation Mark next to a hardware item.
You may always load the manufacturer’s drivers on top of these and Windows should not overwrite those Mfgr drivers. It will be your chore or auto-update option. For example, mfgr’s newest graphics drivers should be used for better performance vs. the Windows installed driver which will be more stable (it’s one version behind).
GeForce Experience does nothing that you cannot do yourself except Phone Home. When you are ready dump it if you feel you care to. Check nvidia once a month for updates. You do not NEED the latest Game Ready driver if you do not play the Game that driver version is Ready for, though newer drivers are supposed to fix bugs for other issues at times. Most likely you can get better FPS and grapics by hand-tuning. I apologize if I sound like I’m yuccing someone’s yum (NVExperience), this is my experience with it. As always, you do you.

HTH

While I’m at it, I have had problems with “Feature Updates” to Windows, found in Windows Updates, underneath. Right now it’s “Feature Update to Windows version 21H2”. Sounds important, huh?
It is beta software MS want’s you to test on your system before they roll it into the future update release in Windows Updates. You do not NEED this installed, furthermore I no longer install them as they have literally hosed my rig at least twice. I image my SSD to another on a weekly basis and was able to recover easily, but others usually are looking at a wipe and reinstall if things go wrong.

Think that’s it. I do not want to hijack the thread, these are things I think people should know.

ok i just installed latest chipset, also once the chipset was installed it created an AMD folder in C drive, can i delete that folder now ?

nvidia experience in not anywhere in my taskbar at all and not hidden. i cant find it anywhere on my pc, even though its saying its installed in program and features.
so i just downloaded it and installed it , i have sucssefully logged in, and sussing it out now to see what i have to do .

ok so in the experience app its saying i have the game ready driver already installed, but there is an update , so i updated the game ready driver succsessfully. should i be using the game ready driver or the studio driver ? i dont play games but i do a fair bit of video editing.

and thanks to u other guys for replying , but i have to do things 1 at a time otherwise it gets too much for me. trying Dee’s suggestions first with all drivers updating etc… then ill see how things go.

The Studio driver goes through more extensive testing, and if you’re not a gamer the Studio driver is best. Having said that. I’ve had no problems with the game ready drivers.

I should also mention I’m on Windows 11, and have no idea how stable Win10 21H2 is.

Move the folder to another HDD for safe keeping until you know everything is ok.

ok thanks , ill keep the game ready driver as is then. should i decide to have the studio driver, would i need to uninstall the game ready one , or just keep both installed if it allows it.?

also my windows is 10 is 21H1, in the windows update screen it say under the update area ( This Pc doesn’t currently meet the minimum system requirements to run win 11, Get the details and see if there are things you can do in the PC Health Check app ) i was not really wanting to upgrade to 11 due to not knowing if all my programs will work with it , but would be good to know why it says that if you know.

will also see how the driver updates i did perform after next monthly windows update. i have not had any shut downs since the first post.

Selecting the studio driver will do it all automatically. But lets just leave it for now.

The hardware does support Win11 but you have to enable a couple of things in the BIOS or update the BIOS to the newer version which enable these features by default.

New BIOS
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B550M-A-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

You should be on the latest 2423 BIOS anyway for the sake of stability and performance. Perhaps that’s for another day though. As setting up the BIOS after an BIOS update is sometimes quite involved.