WIMM Labs ushers in wearable micro computers

WIMM Labs ushers in wearable micro computers.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/08/1mXnhQ.jpg[/newsimage]If you buy into the popular line of commercials, Microsoft is a buttoned-up, nerdy know-it-all and Apple is a young, easy-going hipster with style to spare. What does that make the Los Altos-based WIMM Labs? Based on its announcement of a "wearable platform" that straps apps to your wrist, the answer is obvious: a super spy.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/wimm-labs-ushers-in-wearable-micro-computers-49437/](http://www.myce.com/news/wimm-labs-ushers-in-wearable-micro-computers-49437/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

All these little smart devices but none in the package and interface that I’m waiting for; a voice response pocket watch, e-ink display so that it would look like a plain pocket watch and then come alive with information and such when the right voice commands were given or a few buttons around the edge pressed. It could even have a touch screen for apps that must have it.

I’m certain it’s possible. I was just surprised by by own new little LG Optimus one when I found it had a voice interface for Google searches. I just need it in a little metal shell that I can close when not using it to really protect the screen.

(edit : Forgot to mention, it would sell like mad to the steampunk crowd. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=kpoole;2598590]]'m certain it’s possible. I was just surprised by by own new little LG Optimus one when I found it had a voice interface for Google searches. I just need it in a little metal shell that I can close when not using it to really protect the screen :-)[/QUOTE]
I was rather impressed with my little samsung galaxy s, when Ito dropped out of my pocket, then My feeble attempts to catch it caused it to land face down on rough concrete, and skid for about 1m … It was only 6 weeks old at the time.

Dreading turning it over, expecting chips, scratches and/or a cracked screen, I was rather impressed when the only part that showed any sign of damage was the chromish, plastic casing around the screen … Gorilla Glass … I love it.
The phone looks a bit like a dog’s chewed on it, but the screen is still fine.

My galaxy s and galaxy tab both have voice recognition into google searches. It’s an android thing, not any specific device thing.

[QUOTE=kpoole;2598590]All these little smart devices but none in the package and interface that I’m waiting for; a voice response pocket watch, e-ink display so that it would look like a plain pocket watch and then come alive with information and such when the right voice commands were given or a few buttons around the edge pressed. It could even have a touch screen for apps that must have it.

)[/QUOTE]

Don’t be surprised if in 5 years there will be cpu’s hardwired to your brain.
The iTwit Generation will fall over themselves for such “Neat” Technology.
Just think, a computer implanted at birth, relieving the recipient of all need for that inconvienient thing called “Independent Thought”.
Next time you log onto Amazon to download an e-book, you might want to check out Orwell’s “1984” or Huxley’s “A Brave New World”.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2598675]Don’t be surprised if in 5 years there will be cpu’s hardwired to your brain.
The iTwit Generation will fall over themselves for such “Neat” Technology.
Just think, a computer implanted at birth, relieving the recipient of all need for that inconvienient thing called “Independent Thought”.
Next time you log onto Amazon to download an e-book, you might want to check out Orwell’s “1984” or Huxley’s “A Brave New World”.[/QUOTE]
No engineer would design a system that over-rides the human mind in such a manner.

Anything designed would be purely augmentive technology.
Personally, bring it on.

I’d love to have the ability to store snapshots of architectural drawings, scenes, engineering formulas, have an in-head processor run that formulas through and present results & references, even predicting requirements … heck, my fricking eyes could do 100MP snapshots/Movies of stupid crap that happens on site, for documentation, even simple stuff like website gallerys.

A brave new world is inevitable … each generation is less fertile than the last, quite possibly due to dietary & behavioural problems … and as robotics becomes more prevalent, more and more human work will be offloaded to “workers” which are more suitable for the task.