Will ZoneAlarm stop my internet service from scanning my pc

Sad isn’t it. You just found your favorite P2P app and installed it on your pc. Started downloading some music. Then you internet company scans your pc and emails you saying you have a pirated version of a song, tv show, or movie. It is true yes. But haven’t they ever heard of privicy. I recently bought zone alarm pro. Will it stop my internet service from scanning my pc. Along with Microsoft.

no matter what you do, it’s naive to think you are anonymous on the internet.

the solution would be to stop downloading/sharing copyrighted material.

also, i doubt your ISP scanned your PC randomly. ISPs are usually in favor of the privacy of their subscribers. someone from the RIAA or the MPAA probably contacted your ISP to report illegal use. instead of turning you in, your ISP contacted you to tell you to stop. you should be THANKING the ISP.

True but I only leech. I never share. I do on bittorrent, cause you have too in order to get faster downloads. I however never seed. I am glad that my ISP told me to stop but I’m not gonna. I will take the risk. Any ways I want to show you the message.

To: id33k@----.com

Title: Warning

There have been reports of your computer contaning a illegal file called Dane Cook 27s Tourgasm S01e01 Hdtv Xvid Lol 5beztv 5d We urge you to delte the file to avoid fines from the orginal owners. We have linked this download to MegaNova.org and TorrentPortal.com, and have email the owners to stop sharing these illegal files.

Best Wishes,
Charter

Response:
This file has not been on my pc for a while. I deleted about 6 weeks ago. So why did I get this notice now? I’m not the uploader. So how did this get linked to me.

They never wrote back. I got the ZoneAlarm and I got this client trying to access my pc. I went to zonealarm and typed it in and It said “A client that is used by ISP to scan pc” I denied that sucker. Strangest thing is that McAffe firewall never even mentioned it. I cannceld McAffe btw.

I doubt they ever scanned your PC to begin with, and Zone Alarm will not prevent anyone from seeing your real IP address, as well any electronic data passing in and out along the way. I mean c’mon, some filenames alone are just so obvious. There does not have to be an intrusion of privacy for them to see what you are doing.

Further, since you admit to this being copyrighted material, it is only correct to stop.

Unfortunately, no firewall as far as I’m aware of will prevent anti-piracy companies from checking who is sharing what files over BitTorrent. When you begin downloading a file, your BitTorrent client begins making what ever portions of the file it has downloaded available for other peers to connect to. For example, if you have port 6881 (or another port) opened for BitTorrent, this is the port remote clients will connect to. If you block this port, your client will complain about firewall/NAT issues and you’ll be lucky to get a decent transfer rate due to the way BitTorrent operates to try and prevent leeching (downloadinging-only). However, this does not stop your client from making an outgoing connection to remote peers. You can easily see this happening if your upload speed shows any reading above around 1KB/sec, since it is obviously supplying data. Unfortunately, as the others have mentioned above, the only way to completely stop anti-piracy companies from seeing what you are downloading is to avoid BitTorrent or any other file sharing application which potentially share files or share portions of what it is currently downloading.

For the anti-piracy companies to track who is sharing files within a given torrent, all they have to do is to start downloading a suspect file and log all the IP addresses their client connects with through the download. If they find that their downloaded file is indeed a copyrighted file, they now have a list of IP addresses they know either shares this file or have at least attempted downloading it. Some BitTorrent clients such as Azureus will list the IP addresses of the clients it has connected to along with which connections are seeders and which are peers.

If you are using Azureus, the next time you start a download, double-click on the item being transferred and on the info screen, click on the ‘Peers’ tab. Now you’ll be able to see all the IP addresses your client is connect to, including peers and seeders. The screenshot below gives an example of a list of clients my Azureus client connected to when downloading a media player codec package (IP addresses partially edited out).

The IP addresses on the left are those this client was connected to at this time and would also be what the anti-piracy company would start writing down if they attempt to download a suspect file. The Pieces and ‘%’ columns lists how much of the torrent each client has, where 100% means that the client is a seeder of this file. The down/up speed columns shows the transfer rate from and to each client. A down transfer means that this client is downloading a chunk from that peer, while an up transfer means that this client is sending a chunk to that peer. Transfer rates of several bytes per second is usually protocol traffic, such as acknowledgements. :wink:

Oh no Azureseus for me. It isn’t bad for downloading just it can be a resource hog sometimes, I use uTorrent. I know about the whole peer stuff, I’m very experinced in this area. I just wanted to know how to keep my ISP from scanning my PC. Then again I guess someone could have reported my IP to charter, bu they whould have to be downloading the File also.

I have come across news about this where the movie industry itself (or anti-piracy organisations working for it) have been known to download files even if they know they are potentially at legal risk themselves, since this is the easiest way for them to track who’s seeding or currently downloading for each given file.

Unfortunately as this thread appears to be leading to the discussion of finding ways to download copyrighted files without being caught, this thread has been closed.