Will you replace your OS HDD with a SSD this year?

As in the title.
Is it time to replace your HDD with an SSD as your operating system drive, this year?

If not, why not?

SSD have come down in price a lot.
They already surpassed the performance of spinning HDD a while ago, and they are getting much faster.
An SSD is more reliable than an HDD
The capacities are about perfect for installing your OS and your installed applications.

Would you be surprised to hear that an SSD is the most likely upgrade you could make to your PC, where you would actually notice a big performance increase?

If you are not sure about SSD, why not ask us?
If you are planning to buy an SSD, which one will you buy, and why?

SSDs are indeed a very interesting hardware, but currently prices are too high for my wallet :frowning:

While I did vote not this year, my mind could change as capacity goes up and cost comes down… and in this tough economy it could happen, but not holding my breath. My gut tells me these will become an excellent storage medium for photographers and such. For now, sticking with magnetic media over optical since it is slightly more reliable and today’s magnetic media hard drives are dirt cheap and fast… I will just throw more of them at my storage needs for family photos and video and wait for SSD’s to become more mainstream. I’m excited about seeing what the future holds for SSD’s and flash media in general.

As one that deals with nothing but laptops these are the only way to go.

Dee, You need “already have bought one” as a choice.

First I’m in need of a new PC - which will cost me enough money already.

So perhaps later I’ll buy a SSD from which to run the OS - read some nice stories about faster performance and start up times - can’t really remember who wrote those stories :rolleyes:

Anyway, what I’m wondering - will Windows cause you any trouble when you’re trying to install it on your brand new SSD? I seem to remember that when I replaced parts of my computer (several years ago, I believe HDD & graphical card + a new optical drive) that Windows said I now had a new computer, so had to buy a new Windows?

Or is this all solved with the newer versions, I’m not really up to date on this stuff anymore :doh:

Hi,[QUOTE=bjansen;2221187]
Anyway, what I’m wondering - will Windows cause you any trouble when you’re trying to install it on your brand new SSD?[/quote]the SSD will be treated no different than an ordinary HDD.

I seem to remember that when I replaced parts of my computer (several years ago, I believe HDD & graphical card + a new optical drive) that Windows said I now had a new computer, so had to buy a new Windows?
You “only” need to re-activate Windows. If online activation does not work, then there is the activation method via phone. At least here in Germany, MS provided a toll-free 0800-phone number.

Or is this all solved with the newer versions, I’m not really up to date on this stuff anymore :doh:
Vista will complain also.

Michael

[QUOTE=geno888;2220610]SSDs are indeed a very interesting hardware, but currently prices are too high for my wallet :([/QUOTE]

:iagree:
also the capacity is a big issue, 120Gb cost almost 200euros:eek:

[quote=mciahel;2221252]Hi,the SSD will be treated no different than an ordinary HDD. You “only” need to re-activate Windows. If online activation does not work, then there is the activation method via phone. At least here in Germany, MS provided a toll-free 0800-phone number.
Vista will complain also.

Michael[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Doesn’t sound like too much trouble - altough buying/building a new pc with a SSD included would be easier than upgrading your OS HDD I guess.

A full XP Pro install is less than 4 GB, IIRC, and most applications worth having are a few hundreds of megabytes at the most. So the idea of an OS/program disc, supplemented by a large capacity conventional disc for longer-term storage of data, seems the best way to go. My impression is that that’s what people were doing with Raptors etc.

I’d like to know whether the IDE interface could be revitalised by SSD technology. There must be millions of laptops around the world still using this interface - and potentially get a significant increase in speed - so could this also be a ‘hidden’ market for SSD to capitalise on? I just bought a second-hand 30 GB 2.5 IDE HDD for £20, but I might have paid a fair bit more for an IDE SSD if it were available new.

Hi,[QUOTE=imkidd57;2222324]
I’d like to know whether the IDE interface could be revitalised by SSD technology.[/quote]they won’t. Intel has ditched P-ATA, and that’s it.

I just bought a second-hand 30 GB 2.5 IDE HDD for £20, but I might have paid a fair bit more for an IDE SSD if it were available new.
P-ATA SSDs are available: http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=164 :slight_smile: My favourite dealer wants 77,50 € for this drive.

Michael

I might consider it for storing the OS if prices come down. To be honest though, even the normal HDs are plenty fast enough for my needs. I would be more interested in getting one for my laptop than a desktop.

A velocity raptor allows my main system to perform well but I would look at a SSD if the size and price was right. I don’t need a huge drive for my main system drive, as I have a 1.5TB for data storage.

Like UTR I think it would be a good solution for my laptop, which currently has two drives, a 320GB 7200rpm and a 250GB 5400rpm. The drive is definitely the bottle neck when compared to my main system with the velocity raptor.

[quote=mciahel;2222373]Hi,they won’t. Intel has ditched P-ATA, and that’s it. P-ATA SSDs are available: http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=164 :slight_smile: My favourite dealer wants 77,50 € for this drive.

Michael[/quote]Yep that’s actually what I meant: that people already with P-ATAs could take advantage if the SSD manufacturers would “revitalise” the interface by making such drives. :wink:

Wish I’d seen that price before :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2220968]
Dee, You need “already have bought one” as a choice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I’ve already got one for my OS drive and love it.
The only problem is that when installing, or doing heavy writing, it tends to lock everything else up.
Its an OCZ drive, and from what I’ve read, its due to the JMicron controller, and the Corsair drives don’t do it as they’ve got a different controller onboard.

I’m hoping to replace my OS drive (in the PC I use for reviews) with an SSD around the end of the year.

Why the wait? Because I can get it as a Christmas gift, and hopefully prices will either stay the same or come down a little. :wink:

It’s Dee’s latest review of the OCZ Vertex that swayed me.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2228951]
It’s Dee’s latest review of the OCZ Vertex that swayed me.[/QUOTE]

Ditto here :slight_smile:

Although I am very happy with my raptors from way back when, I think soon as price drops just a tad more on SSD I would like to have an ideal setup of two of these bad boys running in a RAID 0 for me… then again should I wait for SATA III to see what else may be on the back burner

I’m not planning to use an SSD as my OS drive anytime anytime soon. The cheapest SSDs are still a bit more than I want to spend. Even if they were within my price range, I’m not convinced that an SSD would be a better choice overall than an HDD for me. I can still see several reasons to choose an HDD instead.

I for one will stay with HDD as most of the novice pc users don’t have a need for SSD as of right now and there isn’t a big justification to go to SSD. Plus it hasn’t been test long enough to be of much help to novice computer users. That where it won’t sway heads yet only those going with the new technology as it comes out every year will buy it but not me. Also to laptop I would still stay with HDD price is a big factor here. I would say HDD and SSD will coexist in some kinda of hybrid desktop and laptop. Where one the “user(s)” has free will to pick which technology to use only then will be really see the full benefit of SSD compared to HDD. I doubt any time soon or the foreseeable future that HDD is going to go away anytime soon as it will increase in capacity just take a look WD is now 2TB HDD sata from newegg last I check was 299 US. Just find a SSD that will be 2TB and cost only 299 US from newegg or similiar??? That’s not going to even happen anytime soon. And with that 2TB HDD coming out now only helps the HDD side gain momentum as a storage medium for some time to come.

I object to the format of the question ANd the available answers.

Yes, I plan on buying an SDD this year, but I have no intention of installing my OS/boot system on it.

I will use an SSD as a “pure data” drive because in that application I will write to the drive ONCE to put most of my data on it, then any
additional writing will be “supplemental” rather than erase and rewrite operations.

In this useage an SSD drive should theoretically last forever.

I am not now nor have I even been an “early adopter” and I don’t believe the problem with SSD’s in regards to a limited life of write-erase/rewrite cycles has been “cured” yet.

AD

Well Allan, we can’t please everyone all the time.
FYI: Hard drives have limited read/write cycles too. They do wear out long before a modern SSD will. :wink:
There are really so many myths about SSD.