Will Windows 8 enhanced ISO support make optical discs obsolete?

vbimport

Will Windows 8 enhanced ISO support make optical discs obsolete?.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/09/hI1psV.jpg[/newsimage]Microsoft's painstakingly-detailed and fascinating Building Windows 8 tell-all blog has covered USB 3.0 support, a new Explorer interface and an app store. In a new entry, the company explained its decision to revamp ISO access and management. Citing past customer requests, Stephen Sinofsky, Windows Live president, confirmed Windows 8 will offer native Explorer support for both ISO and VHD files.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/will-windows-8-enhanced-iso-support-make-optical-discs-obsolete-50982/](http://www.myce.com/news/will-windows-8-enhanced-iso-support-make-optical-discs-obsolete-50982/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Of course, they’re not going to bother to advertise that their ISO creator won’t bypass DRM. There’s going to be a lot of people who will be really disappointed…

7zip opens ISO’s, and freeware is available to mount iso’s.
Getting rid of the explorer interface its nothing new, I’ve had to kill explorer & and hence start bar, desktop icons & etc, to kill an occassional malware, windows works fine without it. threw windows store has been available since windows ME, and was never popular.

The only"new" feature is the stupid ipad/mobile interface that its set as the default.

“shuffle along people, nothing to see here”.

Can you say…ImgBurn / Alcohol 120% / Daemon Tools…This is old stuff…Harddrives can and will FAIL sooner or later…Do not keep all your pictures/family videos on a single Harddrive…Always Burn them to a Disc…And put them in a safe place!!! DVDs cost .25 cent for 4GB or $1.00 for DL/8GB…

ISO are handy dandy for viewing DVD or Blu-Ray movies on your computer. I do not see ISO’s replacing optical disks anytime soon. People who use a stand alone player will not be able to view ISO’s on their stand alone players unless there is a HDMI output from their PC to a HDTV.

Like somebody in this thread mentioned a hard drive will fail sooner or later. Then what? No, ISO serve a purpose but not as a replacement for optical disks.

What is the big deal about M$ supporting ISO’s anyway? There has been ways to make ISO’s for a very long time.

Jeff

[QUOTE=AIRBUD7;2602359]Can you say…ImgBurn / Alcohol 120% / Daemon Tools…This is old stuff…Harddrives can and will FAIL sooner or later…Do not keep all your pictures/family videos on a single Harddrive…Always Burn them to a Disc…And put them in a safe place!!! DVDs cost .25 cent for 4GB or $1.00 for DL/8GB…[/QUOTE]

I’d put a premium quality (good branded) large flash drive against optical media for long term storage… put both in the same environment for 10-15 years and see which one will works perfectly… the simple fact is organic dyes will degrade faster than phase change flash chips… though I hear they are going to make better drives and media soon that might fix these problems… but the technology & media (not surprisingly) is quite expensive right now.

I will take that Bet…

Cheap hard drives have made optical Media pretty well obsolete for me…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2602532]Cheap hard drives have made optical Media pretty well obsolete for me…[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

I still buy spindle packs of 100DVD+R’s whenever they are on sale for $25 or less but I don’t use them for backups any more.

It takes several times as long to burn a disc as it does to swap out a hard drive.
Let alone copy the data back off the disc onto a hard drive

I have backup installations for all the computers I’m responsible for on spare HDDs.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2602820]Ditto.

I still buy spindle packs of 100DVD+R’s whenever they are on sale for $25 or less but I don’t use them for backups any more.

It takes several times as long to burn a disc as it does to swap out a hard drive.
Let alone copy the data back off the disc onto a hard drive

I have backup installations for all the computers I’m responsible for on spare HDDs.[/QUOTE]

It would be crazy to use optical disks for hard drive backups. Have an external drive for that.

Still ISO’s for now is not a replacement from backing up your movies on a DVD or Blu-Ray. If you don’t have a HDMI connection, coax or optical to some remote audio input source or "B"speaker source you are SOL.
Jeff