Will there ever be a 3-4 minute 16x burn?

vbimport

since they all seem to use CAV for 16x

will it reach 16x faster? cuz it only reaches 16x in the last few 40-mb of the disc. maybe they’ll make it reach 16x like at 4gb or less?

At this time as far as rule of dynomics law concerns No, but again can’t say no for ever to new inovations.

Given that an 8x CLV burn should be 8 mins… I think the fastest for a 16x burn would require CLV… that would be amazing… 4 mins :smiley:

The closest match @ the moment would be the LG-GSA 4163B which uses P-CAV (part CAV, part CLV)

LG GSA-4163B reaches 16x around the 3.5 GB mark due to its higher rotational speed. It spends considerable time (30+ seconds) in the initial OPC stage, but still manages to finish a full -R disc in about 5:17. So, sub-5 minute times are possible with 10,000 or higher RPM motors.

16x CLV is not safe because it would require 20,000+ RPM at the beginning of the disc.

But if it were possible, it would take 4482/21.64=207 seconds, or 3 minutes 27 seconds + lead-in/lead-out time.

What are you going to do with the extra 3 min?

Around 5:00 burn time will be possible by trying to shorten the lead-in and lead-out times in GSA-4163B and also allowing 16.x and even 17.x writing instead of restricting to 16x, but most leaders in designing DVD burners have already been in Blu-ray and/or HD-DVD so I doubt they care.

yeah the lg does it in almost 5 minutes

how bout a start of 7-7.5x cav to like 2.5gb 16x possible? think they’ll pull it off?

Does anyone remember the Kenwood 72x CDrom drive http://www.targetpc.com/hardware/cd-rom/kenwood72x/ (you can find loads of links if you type kenwood 72x into google) it used multiple laser beams to read the disc back at high speed instead of increasing rotation speed. So maybe all they have to do is create a DVD-Writer that uses more than one laser to write to the disc at once and we will have discs finished in under 3 minutes.

Below is an image of how it worked.

yeah that’d be sweet

It would be cool but imagine the cost, the Kenwood 72x CDrom drive cost quite a lot of money back then. Maybe they could use this idea for BluRay burning or HD-DVD burning.

GSA-4163B already starts at 7.3x and reaches 16x at about 3.5GB. To reach 16x at 2.5GB, it probably needs to start at over 8x. GSA-4163B makes a lot of noise to start at 7.3x. Many 2.5-inch form factor HDDs rotate at 5,400 RPM max. DVD 5 media are 4x larger than them. 4x size rotating much faster… not a good idea. Even 1-inch HDDs use too much electricity compared to flash memory.

Calimetrics version of Blu-ray was also part of Calimetrics roadmap a few years ago but I don’t know if Sanyo and others still pour some efforts into Calimetrics. It seemed Calimetrics, Zen, Kenwood, Afreey… all going nowhere. Some ODD technologies that I never saw made into retail stores: Yamaha 50-disc ODD changer using a built-in robot arm, Afreey 100x CD-ROM and 25x DVD-ROM, Calimetrics ML Blu-ray…

The Kenwood 52x/72x CD-ROM drives were sold for about US$200 in South Korea. So I thought US$100 or a little more in the US market were cheap for such fast drives. Many paid more for Teac and Plextor CD-ROM drives just because they were better readers for high-speed “on-the-fly” CD copy. Though I used at least several Teac and Plextor CD drives, I never saw a Kenwood.

Since CPUs are going multi-core and also DRAMs, HDDs, graphic cards are all going dual, using multiple lens for higher performances in ODDs should be a fashionable thing. (Not practical though perhaps considering no leading company seems to have any plan.)

Multiple lasers or laser beam splitting will be required sometime down the line as the more space their is on the disc the longer it takes. CD Fastest Writing = 2.20 Minutes or less / DVD Fastest writing 5.40 minutes all for Full discs. HD–DVD will obviously take even longer to write too even at its fastest speed. Maybe 12 minutes for a full disc single layer at fastest HDDVD writing speed so something will have to be done, Bluray will take even longer.

no fastest dvd write is 5:17 and 5:01