Will there be a -DL format from Pioneer?

right now all I see from any manufacturer is the DVD+R DL and not -R DL

Will there every be a -R DL burner release this year or next?

Thanks,

Man, I hope not. Isn’t it enough that they came out with + for SL. :slight_smile: The diff companies need to put their effort into blue ray or the 200gig/disc format. One day of shooting photos takes up one dvd. need some real storage capacity…

-R DL is in the prototyping stage from Pioneer. Will it get a release? Seems likely.

Do you reckon it will be a firmware update for us 108 owners, or an excuse to release another drive (109?). They may have some catching up to do by the time it is released.

Any answer I give would be speculative…and I really don’t like speculation much…

Having said this, I seriously doubt we would see a -R DL update from Pioneer for us 108 owners.

Thanks guys, this is exactly why I will be waiting for the -R DL instead of the +R DL due to Set-top player compatibility.

In the mean time I may just purchase a cheap DVD-+R just to get me by for now, until a -R DL is released.

How can -DL (-> a new format) possibly be “more compatible” than +DL, considering the fact that the vast majority of DVD-RWs sets the booktype of DVD+R DL discs to DVD-ROM on default (with stock firmware), including the Pioneer 108?

Good point. If a percentage of the players out there are choking on DVD+R DL they will simply freakout on DVD-R DL.

Maybe because -R (SL) is also more compatible than +R …

Says who?

I don’t know why, but -r works better for me than bitset +r( mind you , that was with the liteon 411s).
Since when have computers made sense!

Yes it is known that the -R format is more compatible with set top players than the +R format which I have personally experienced. Infact I believe the ratio according to one web site was like 89% -R vs 83% +R.

I am a video editor and producer, all my DVD’s were burnt using -R media and not a single one returned unlike the +R… bad results.

This is why I asked and hoping that -R DL would be released due to the historic -R compatibiltiy experience which was great for me.

You have read the DVD-ROM booktype part, don’t you?

DVD-R can not be “more compatible” than DVD-ROM. Period.

and DVD-R DL’s would have to be bitsetted to be read on standalone players… and there is no bitsetting implementantion on dvd- format at the moment

From doom9 homepage

While the DVD+ camp has had a huge headstart when it comes to dual layer media (the writer of this lines has a burner that can write DVD+R DL discs at up to 4x speed), DVD-R DL will be on the agenda of the DVD forum meeting next month. And Pioneer plans the release of 4x DVD-R DL capable A09 in December (but first the specs would have to be finalized, Pioneer has been holding back hardware until the specs were all settled before).

Could be interesting.

It would have been interesting if the DVD-R camp managed to ‘overtake’ the DVD+R DL format, and release faster DVD-R DL burners and media. 4x DVD-R DL in December is simply too late, since it will have no advantages over the competing format, on the contrary, as explained above.

He hasn’t :bigsmile:

If DVD-R DL use the DVD-R SL booktype (and not a new one as DVD+R DL), (if it’s possible - seems difficult), it could be interesting though…

This is exactly what I wanted to here :slight_smile: Thanks Geoffman for the info.

I guess I’ll wait until December!

Regards,
Shlooky

Geoffman
From http://www.doom9.org/]doom9 homepage
While the DVD+ camp has had a huge headstart when it comes to dual layer media (the writer of this lines has a burner that can write DVD+R DL discs at up to 4x speed), DVD-R DL will be on the agenda of the DVD forum meeting next month. And Pioneer plans the release of 4x DVD-R DL capable A09 in December (but first the specs would have to be finalized, Pioneer has been holding back hardware until the specs were all settled before).
Could be interesting.

I think anyone who check the facts & results coming from tests.

> I think anyone who check the facts & results coming from tests.

On the contrary, anyone who really understands facts and test results knows that - is not more compatible.