Will the real RITEK DVD+R 8x Please Stand UP!

vbimport

I am beginning to wonder what great cosmic conspiracy is going on here in the 8X DVD+R media world.

I have ordered what I thought was RITEK 8X DVD+R media from two different online resellers. Both sent me RICOH JPN R01-002 4x DVD+R media.

The first vendor, Meritline, said (after days trying to get them on the phone) that RITEK shipped mislabeled media. After an ordeal the media was returned and I have a refund.

When I found the RITEK 8X DVD+R media at another reseller (ProAction Media in AZ) I called them first. I explained the situation with the Meritline order and how I wanted the real RITEK 8x DVD+R media. I was assured that that is exactly what they sell.

I placed an order from them. It arrived today and DVD Itentifier showed me that once again I had received the RICOH JPN R01-002 4X media that I can buy next door cheaper than what I just paid for it.

Fortunately, I was able to get customer service on the phone right away. When I questioned them about why I received the wrong media they said they would have some one call me to explain the situation. In the meantime I received an RMA number and they are sending UPS to pick up the package.

A nice lady called me back a few minutes later. I was shocked to even receive the call.

I was told the following story. The RICOH media I received is actually RITEK all along, but RITEK got permission from RICOH to use its media code on the media so that the 8X DVD burners out there would burn it at 8X. Apparently, according to this story, if RITEK used its media code on the 8X media it would not burn in 8X burners because they would not recognize the code.

Is this a load? Is this fraud?

Has anyone actually had their hands on this RITEK 8X media?

send that info to Ricoh and ask them.

I really doubt that Ricoh would let Ritek use it’s name for any purpose… Unless Ritek is making Ricoh media, which is possible. So the media could be made for Ricoh by Ritek.

But I don’t trade in Ritek media so you either ask Ricoh or a smart trader in Ritek.

Many big companies have their media made by Taiwanese companies.

Yes Ritek makes media for Ricoh designed by Ricoh and also sells some of them under Ritek brand names. RICOHJPNR01 is however still only 4x certified media even if many 8x burners have an 8x write strategy implemented in the firmware for them. They should therefore only be sold as 4x media.
Real Ritek 8x media exist and they have MID code “RITEK…R03”. They are however not approved by Philips yet. Also real 8x Ricoh media (manufactured by Ritek) have showed up in Japan now and they have MID code “RICOHJPNR02”.

RiTEK makes ALL Ricoh media(at least most of it), just to have that said. Ricoh only develops the technology.

Guess you’re in the US since you got the wrong discs.

This issue seems to be in the US only. Here in Europe we get RITEK R03 when we order Ritek 8x media.

It IS true that some very few 8x writers do not yet support this media yet though, but most 8x writers supports it. But if they wanted to use the Ricoh code they should use the Ricoh 8x code RICOHJPNR02 and not the older 4x code…

So I think this is all about mislabeling or other mistake…it’s just 4x discs.

Ritek makes RICOH media under contract. From what I can gather RICOH has developed the method for their media and they provide the dye and have RITEK manufacture it by their specification.

RITEK also makes media that it puts its own brand on. It is some of this alleged 8X DVD+R media that I have been trying to buy and test. The RICOH media is 4X that will work at 8X in some drives, but that is not what I ordered.

I am trying to get into contact with RITEK to find out what is going on. Their website is not the best in the world and I have had difficutly sending them email.

We will see.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]

Guess you’re in the US since you got the wrong discs.

So I think this is all about mislabeling or other mistake…it’s just 4x discs. [/B]

Yes, I am in the good old US of A.

It is interesting to me that many US vendors of the RITEK 8x DVD+R are selling the old RICOH media. It makes be wonder if these vendors are trying to make a fast buck on the 8X media demand not thinking that folks will actually check the media to make sure it is what they ordered. When caught they just say what pops into their head.

I tried to send RITEK email today, but their web site is so screwed up that after a third attempt and receiving 404 page not found errors I gave up.

Does anyone have an email for their sales and marketing folks they would like to pass along. I sure would like to get them to understand that lots of their vendors in the US are screwing over customers and that will only hurt RITEK in the future as I know I will be very, very careful about EVER buying anything with the RITEK brand on it.

Both JCL and OC-Freak made some good points which I would like to confirm:

-RITEK (almost) makes all Ricoh media and indeed Ricoh develops the technology
-The 8X media of RITEK has the R03 dye, developed by RITEK itself

With regards to Dlathems question: The Ricoh +R 4X discs that were produced by Ritek were indeed suitable to be burnt at 8X on most machines. But Ritek’s 8X is certified to be burnt at 8X and is accepted by all 8X burners with the latest firmware. Ritek does not produce a Ricoh 8X dye, as it officially doesn’t exist.

I assume that the discs you have been buying are self made- or overprinted 4X discs with the Ricoh dye. If you have any doubts you can always contact Ritek or one of its subsidairies. You could send them a photo of the disc asking if this print was ever produced by Ritek.

Asian Pacific: www.ritek.com
EMEA: www.conrexx.com
Americas:www.ridata.com (AMICD)

NB: I have this information from a person who actually works at Conrexx Technology in the Netherlands

I have tried three times to contact RITEK to ask about this issue. Their website is very bad. I cannot find a regular email, but they do have a contact us page. However, it does not work and always ends with an error.

Do you have a regular email for them. They need to know about this FRAUD that is being attempted in the USA with their new product.

Ritek America / Ridata
Tel: 1-909-861-2269

THanks…do you have an email?

Originally posted by fevers
Ritek America / Ridata
Tel: 1-909-861-2269

Well after trying to send email I called this number. It took forever to get someone on the phone. When I did I was subjected to a frustrating conversation with a person who did not know much about anything. The 8x certified vs: 4x certified issue appeared to be completly beyond this persons ability to understand. They did admit there were some complaints and they replaced media and that they have run out of the 8x media. I asked her what the media code was on the “8x” media. She said she did not have any samples and could not tell me. I asked her if any in technical support could help me and she said they did not have any technical support, but to try in a few weeks!

Ritek America/Ridata, despite their name, is apparently nothing more than a media seller. I don’t think they actually have any connection with the RITEK manufacturing in Taiwan (other than perhaps paying them to use the Ridata/RITEK name in the US) and I do not think they are the source of the media sold by Meritline, Pro Action Media and many, many others.

This is becoming a frustrating exercise to find out the true facts about the certified Ritek 8x DVD+R media. From reading this and other forums this media appears to be sold in other parts of the world. I am almost sure that none of the so called 8x DVD+R media sold here is actually what it is advertised to be.

The American market may have been subject to a scam where 4x media has been sold, and is continuing to be sold, as 8x media at 8x prices.

I would appreciate any forum readers posting the details of the media ID code of certified RITEK 8x DVD+R media. Even the folks at Ridata/Ritek America don’t seem to know anything about their own product.

I smell a Federal Trade Commission investigation.

Has anyone contacted these folks?

http://www.accaproducts.com/

I asked a technical question there recently by email and actually got an intelligent response. (they are working on getting TY DVD+R 4x media). I also note that they are not selling any 8x media, maybe they know something that Meritline does not. Personally, I’m fed up with Meritline, they have no idea what they are doing.

This sounds real bad guys. do u guys have anything called “the departmant of fair trading” in the US? thats what we got in australia. I would do some phone calls to these guys if i were u. If u buy a ferrari u don’t expect to get a mazda motor inside of it! u know what i mean. they can’t do that, its illegal.

BTW. this is why i never order online! i always go out and buy my media. just so i know whats what! and if they f**K me over i will go down there where i got it and ask for my money back. if they tell me to piss off i will tell them that the department of fair trading will come for a visit and they will shite themselves and refund me lol.

Originally posted by cd pirate
[B]This sounds real bad guys. do u guys have anything called “the departmant of fair trading” in the US? thats what we got in australia. I would do some phone calls to these guys if i were u. If u buy a ferrari u don’t expect to get a mazda motor inside of it! u know what i mean. they can’t do that, its illegal.

BTW. this is why i never order online! i always go out and buy my media. just so i know whats what! and if they f**K me over i will go down there where i got it and ask for my money back. if they tell me to piss off i will tell them that the department of fair trading will come for a visit and they will shite themselves and refund me lol. [/B]

We have FTC - Federal Trade Commision, BBB - Better Business Bureau, Department of Consumer Affair (state level) in the United States.

“If u buy a ferrari u don’t expect to get a mazda motor inside of it! u know what i mean. they can’t do that, its illegal.” - > there is a term for it called “Bait and Switch” -> tell you we have A @ X price, sell you B @ X price!