Will Plextor really bring out a fw update to make the px712 a DL-burner?

Just asked myself this question. Since I read that article about the px716.
So is this true? Thankx for responding.

How did you get to such interpretation? what words made you believe such a thing?

Which article?

If Plextor wanted to reduce the number of PX-716A purchases, a software upgrade to make the PX-712A dual layer would surely do the trick. If you were making a business decision what would you do?

He’s from Belgium :bigsmile:

I would think about my costumers in the long-term. I would please them to make them stay, especially because these costumers are willing to pay more for a quality drive with good support.

First of all: there is nothing wrong beiing from belgium!!!
Second of all: someone posted this information but I guess he didn’t meant the PX712 but the PX716.

It is nice to announce the PX-712A and it’s DL DVD writing capabilty, but . . .
could Plextor please make a little effort and to have the:
PLEXTOR 605A Dvd writer which supports 5X DVD-RAM writing
AVAILABLE in other countries than Japan
I am not interested in “movies piracy” using DVD Double Layer recording but
in professional quality DATA backups using DVD RAM writing SAFETY . . . !

So I guess I am wrong. Sorry for that.

P.S. The original post is here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=109103

What company put out a new firmware that took the drive from a SL to a DL? I keep reading, Where people asking when will Plextor do it…

BenQ

Which drive? or can you give a link and I will research it

What lmao2k says is true… last weeks in a shop (at Auchan, here in Italy) I saw that they were selling a BenQ drive (I don’t remember the model), and on the box there was written “Ready for firmware upgrade to DL”, or something like that.

The fact is that Plextor never said or wrote that the PX-712A would become a DL drive… :wink:

ET

I believe it was the BenQ 822 drive. This looks to be the firmware that makes the drive DL http://www.benq.co.uk/ServiceAndSupport/Drivers/drivercounter.cfm?dpid=616&id=1974&size=1.80%20MB&type=D&filename=B3JCX.zip&type=D&whereto=ftp://213.61.96.30/dvd-rw/firmware/dw822a/b3jcx.zip

Related links:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9521
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9531

Go to Benq/Philips forum here then you will see some thread even the test article. :slight_smile:

The NEC 2500A will burn DL when flashed to a 2510A although they don’t
recommend it. The hardware is identical but NEC claims factory calibration
is needed. It works despite their caveat.

I knew about the different hack’s of different drives and even the one firmware such as 2510A going into the 2500A, but I just wanted to know if there were any official firmware for any burners that would allow SL to DL as some have requested from Plextor. I did not know about BenQ until lmao2k pointed it out to me, so I guess it is possible for a company to shoot itself in the foot and lose some money. Don’t misunderstand, if Plextor came out with a firmware that would allow it, I would install but I just can’t see them doing it.

I agree with Hamp. I don’t see Plextor coming out with a firmware just to make the 712A write dual layer. Plextor has already announced the 716 so why would they provide a firmware for the 712A. But who really knows because look at what Plextor has done with the PlexTools 2.17 which allows bitsetting for the 708A drive inconjuction with firmware 1.08 and Nero 6.3.1.25.

DVD_ADDICT Wrote:

But who really knows because look at what Plextor has done with the PlexTools 2.17 which allows bitsetting for the 708A drive inconjuction with firmware 1.08 and Nero 6.3.1.25

This is so true, I told a friend who has a 708A about the 712A and Nero with bit-setting and at that point he decided to get a 712a. Now with 2.17 he dosent’ have to buy a new drive for that task, of course it was a little more to it then just bit-setting that made him decide to upgrade…

Absolutely, I agree. No way they are going to release to a DL firmware upgrade. My mention was just to point out that in some cases the hardware is capable. I was amazed
to see that 708A finally got bitsetting. When I got mine I asked Plextor about it and got a snotty reply suggesting I stop being so cheap and trot out to buy a new DVD player that could play +R.

Cybrow wrote:

I was amazed
to see that 708A finally got bitsetting. When I got mine I asked Plextor about it and got a snotty reply suggesting I stop being so cheap and trot out to buy a new DVD player that could play +R.

Did you take there advice?

No, in fact I invited them to kiss my hind quarters. I was really mad because my
only other experience with a DVD company at the time was Ricoh and they
provided bitsetting with the M5125A all along. I’ve had the Ricoh quite some time
and it was critical to have bitsetting a few years ago when I was sending DVDs
I made to all my relatives. I can understand that a company will want to sell
the newest model without giving too much away but there is the other side of
the coin as well. With NEC and Lite-on the enthusiast community is always buzzing with new and hacked firmwares and these guys often buy every new model that comes out. Makes the whole deal a lot more fun. I wish Plextor was
a little more like that. All that said, I get a great deal of use out of my 708A and
am glad I have it.