Will overclock Burners esp. Lite-On Shorten its Life?

I’m just curious but will it?
i’ve got my LTR-40125S@48125W (vs02) how long will it live for?
what about those dudes who overclock there 24x and 32x to 40x and 48x ?

you should get the same lifespan as a true 48x writer bc all the liteon drives based on that chipset are idetical in every way when it comes to the hardware from what i understand

serz… so basically 40x speed burners would last the same as 48x speed burners.

The components that are subject to wearing would be the motor and laser, and those two is the same in the 40x and 48x, so there should be no shortening of the drives lifespan.

Originally posted by Airhead
The components that are subject to wearing would be the motor and laser, and those two is the same in the 40x and 48x, so there should be no shortening of the drives lifespan.

I’m not 100% but I think the faster you write the more power the laser has to deliver to get the same result!
Just think in real life, to dig a hole 1 meter deep in one hour or in 30 minutes, the necessary energy is not the same!!!

Then you say OK more power but during less time!

Yes you’re right but what limits the laser diod’s life is the intensity of the current crossing it since this is directly proportional to the heat it produces (our friend OHM is back). And Heat is what kills our lowed electronics!!

Well, I guess a component could wear out slightly more quickly if you always burn at 48X instead of 40X, but what the others were saying was that t drive sold as 40X12X48 that was overclocked to 48X12X48 would last just as long as a drive sold as a 48X12X48.